Why is Central Asian architecture so comfy?

Why is Central Asian architecture so comfy?

Other urls found in this thread:

mircorp.com/tilework-of-the-silk-road/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>all that beige
Yuck

beige is the thinking mans shade

beige and blue is a nice combination

It's all Persian architecture.

bump

post sexy islamo-persian architecture

arabized persian architecture

I don't speak art/architecture all that well, so maybe there's terms for this I'm unaware of, but what I like about it is its "negative" quality. Those buildings look like they've been hollowed out, or built "into," rather than added on. It's very inviting. Vaginal.

I agree, everything about it feels very open and it always directs the eye upwards towards the sky

same, I also like that the there is nothing imposing behind the initial entrance to the mosque like you would see in most western cathedrals. It feels like you are entering into a world beyond your grounded 3 dimensional senses. Weird how some religions try to convey the power and beauty of god through architecture while others try to express the plane of god being inaccessible to a human mind only looking for answers in his immediate reality. You are entering into a spiritual world walking into that mosque

I love Persian architecture, imagine after travelling through the desert you come to a space like pic related, must be very satisfying

>tile patterns

Looks like you got Ahmaded

???

Bukhara and Samarkand at their peaks were probably some of the most impressive cities on earth

Don't mind the frogfaggots. They're impaired.

What does that even mean? Tell me how anything there besides the minarets (none of which looked like that in Arabia before the Persians) reflect Arab architecture.

Yeah, although Timur's method of beautifying his capital makes me laugh. He'd invade new lands, murder anyone, aside from the stonemasons, architects etc, and bring them to Samarkand to build new wonders for him.

2000 bc Central Asia

comfy/10

I'm just going to liven up this potentially awesome thread by posting a bunch of pics, don't mind me.

Shame most of your post are literal ruins, they would be fully marbled and tiled in their original condition

There is beauty in decay, what only sparkles does not live.

Looks neat.

Nice thread.

What's this structure?

Why is there so much blue?
Was there a lot of lapis lazuli?

Not as good as the original

When was this built?

Burana Tower in Kirgistan

THICC

Another pic

Is it a minaret?

Chinese influence, inspired by Chinese porcelain, influencing pretty much most of Persia-central asia culture post mongol era
15th century

Yes, it's 1200 years old.

mircorp.com/tilework-of-the-silk-road/

"The colors of tiles have their own significance. Blue was the dominant color in Samarkand, symbolizing the world of ideas and intellect during Timur’s era. Over time, those blue tiles came to be the color of mourning in Central Asia – appropriate in the Gur-Emir and other mausoleums."

Was that bombed? What happened?

never understood why central assia threads arent more frequent on his

Nope, just restored in a super ugly way

Decay

Oh wait, that's not what you meant. I really don't know, looks like ordinary desert sand/storm etc. damage.

This is gone now :'(

did it get TALIBAN'D?

Or not really gone, but it's been replaced totally after the earthquake destroyed everything. (Argh-é-Bam)

Surprisingly, no.

Can anyone recommend some good books about this area of history? Fiction would be cool too

Is Central Asia a desert or the steppe or what? I can't figure out what to picture in my head

Shahnameh - book of kings

Well Central Asia is Afghanistan, Sometimes Iran, Iraq, Kirgistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, so it's really a huuuuge area. It's where the old Silk Road was busiest. You have deserts, mountains, steppe, but also forests (pic related)

I forgot to mention Azerbeidzjan, Turkey is counted sometimes, just like parts of Russia and China (Uyghur)

Otoyomegatari, it's a manga that takes place in Central Asia. The story is utter shit though, but the drawings are beautiful.

And any book on the Silk Road. The one by Frankopan is great.

Oldest still intact bridge in Dezful, Iran

Operation Parchment Clip

I almost forgot this book, it got me into central asian architecture in the first place. Too bad I can't find an edition with pictures:

The Road To Oxiana - Robert Byron

Just an earthquake dude, and iran is reconstructing it now.

Most of what that user is posting is in iran, including the two pictures you quote. Most of the time Iran (or at least most of it) is not considered central asia, although it does have a heavy cultural influence in the region. I don't think it makes any sense to consider turkey and azerbaijan to be part of central asia. The artstyle is similar and has the same roots though.

I said it was an earthquake, it's not really reconstructing imho because everything was destroyed.

And Central Asia is a broad idea. Your Unesco map is not universally true. Especially in this topic about architecture it's definitely okay to post architecture from Turkey and Iran as well since as you mentioned they share the same roots and styles.

Also, I am that user. I've been dumping my whole folder here.

Did the Russians have an artistic fascination with Turkestan as they conquered it?