Why should I care about what happens to you?

Why should I care about what happens to you?

you don't have to be. but crime never pays

Why should I then care about what happens to YOU?

Well if you don't I wouldn't care about you but I would still care about the other people who care for me just as they wouldn't care for you as you probably wouldn't care for them too.
Basically caring keeps society together if you don't want a part of that you can leave.

You shouldn't. That's the point.

Epic philosophy, when I get sick and need hospitalization I guess I'll just roll over and die but at least I was my own man right to the end

How would this benefit society?

Why would I need to benefit society?

Let's say you wake up in Buffalo Bill's basement and he asks you the same question.

What do you say?

Because society benefits you. You are literally typing this thanks to many benefits of society from industry to education.

Micro vs Macro. Many people live their whole lives off of society without ever giving back. Why should I not do that?

If everyone did it, sure, it would be bad. But they aren't. I can only control what I do, so should I not act for myself, instead of as some type of socialized robot?

not him but this is a shitty argument, OP is literally saying "tee hee, I don't care, there are no consequences to my actions so I'm going to be a naughty boy"

because we're living in a SOCIETY

Fortunately, it's in the doctor's interest to keep you alive so he can rob you of your shekels.

Because it gives you pleasure and happiness to care about others and consider their wants and needs.
This is the only real solution to rational egoism.

If that doesn't give me pleasure or happiness? Then what?

You don't, but people tend to care about other people, not necessarily whole society, but someone, family, love interest,friends.

Then you are in denial or mentally unwell.

What I'm trying to say is caring about others is part of human nature for most people, advance of civilization cannot happen without good balance of cooperation(caring) and competition.
So as this guy said ,caring,helping,philantropy is to be frank quite egoistical act, because it makes you feel good about yourself even if you don't want to admit it.
Maybe OP You doesn't care about anybody now, but it might happen sometime, for no reason, no matter how much of a hardass loner type you are.

What if it is my nature? Is my philosophy not valid because I have a different nature?

Because if we engage in a willing contract to help each other, we end up being better off than if we had just gone our own way.

If that's the case then i'll go to a different, more effective doctor.

You do not have a different nature unless you are a serious and very rare deviation from the norm, in which case your philosophy is indeed not valid for the rest of us. Then feel free to apply this philosophy in your own life but don't surprised if it doesn't make you happy.

You shouldn't if you don't want to, who gives a shit about what you think

Fair enough.

Because helping other people feels good.

You don't obviously op. Why should I try to convince you?

>2017
>Not being a good Christian

I'll try my best not to judge you, friend.

What's stopping me from not paying the doctor after I am alive and well?

He'll make you dead again

This

I guess he can try.

Because if you don't follow the social agreement then the people will fuck your shit up senpai

You can do what you want, a lot of people leech of the system, but people who play along are rewarded more in the long run

He'll sue you and eventually the police will make you pay him in some way.

What's making the police keep doing their jobs?

They're not autistic like you and understand social conveniences and contracts and the benefit of society and also they get paid

I'm not OP, and I was under the assumption that these hypotheticals take place in a "society" based on "egoist anarchism".

>understand social conveniences and contracts and the benefit of society
You're a fucking idealist if you believe most of them give a damn.

Most people work because they need resources, nothing else.

No, dude
Most people have basic empathy and do just enough that they won't just do heinous shit to each other because they can and you're an edgy moron if you think otherwise

>they won't just do heinous shit to each other because they can
When the fuck did I say this?

This is a giant fucking leap from saying that the Police wouldn't work if they don't get paid.

You better pray you don't get sick again

Yeah and the question was why would the police work and the answer was because people generally have an understanding of social conveniences and contracts as in "I agree to do this because it's needed and so I'll do it" and the benefit of society as in "I also recognize that it's beneficial that I do this not just for others but because I do this others do it too and so it benefits me as well" and you're a fucking retard if you think a normal person doesn't "give a damn" and just wants resources

People have goals that they want to fulfill and they may desire the best for society, but at the end of the day, you will only get people to work if their resource needs are already met and they find the activity fulfilling by itself.

If you stopped paying the Police, 99% of policemen would quit in order to pursue other lines of work. If you payed them unconditionally regardless of whether they worked or not, 90% of policemen would stop doing their job and start doing things they enjoy.

You're just an idealistic idiot.

you shouldn't

now fuck off.

>If you stopped paying the Police, 99% of policemen would quit in order to pursue other lines of work
No shit, what kinda scenario are you pitching here where policemen suddenly stopped being paid but other work did still function as always? And what part of the social convenience and contracts didn't you get, you dipshit? People care about others because they want, they need others to care about them
You agree to do your part so in exchange others do theirs and you all benefit from it

You fucking idiot, that's not part of any scenario.

I'm just pointing out how the vast majority of people do their work because they need the resources and their job is a way in which they can obtain them.

If that weren't true and people did it out of a moral obligation to do what's right for the community, then Police wouldn't stop patrolling in any of the two examples I provided.

People care about others, yes. They care about their family and friends, and maybe close enough acquaintances. They don't care about random blokes they don't know, which is the reason pretty much nobody is working full time to provide housing for all the hobos in town.

>You agree to do your part so in exchange others do theirs and you all benefit from it
If people can take more than they give, they will always do so. In fact, most would be fine with taking while giving nothing in return at all.

Not once have I made any case for any moral obligation or "what's right", you keep making it and I keep answering that people understand how a society works and that it's beneficial for them and that's why they care and partake in it

>They're not autistic like you and understand social conveniences and contracts and the benefit of society and also they get paid

I'm saying that it is only because they get paid, precisely because they understand how society works.

It is not about social contracts, it is about their own convenience served by the fact that they get paid.

If it was just for getting paid you could just easily go bash someone's head in and grab their wallet, maybe not so much anymore but for most of our history the most convenient way to get paid would be to grab something heavy and longer than your arm and get it by violence
It's precisely because you don't want it to happen to you that you and most everybody else agree to think a little further than what's immediately most convenient for you and not to do that shit, you play by the rules and look out for each other and you stay safe but still get by

If everyone thought that way, there would be pure chaos.

Apparently you don't understand standard game theory.

If you did precisely as you want, everyone else would have to do precisely as they wanted, just to keep up, and before soon we live in a Mad Max world where everyone is poor and living from hand to mouth.

You underestimate the level of wealth and personal happiness that comes to everyone from the rules of the game being fixed, and most people following them.

>but for most of our history the most convenient way to get paid would be to grab something heavy and longer than your arm and get it by violence
And many people did exactly that, but that's besides the point because once again you're making a stupid fucking leap from "Police only police because they get paid" to "Everyone is a gratuitous murderous criminal deep inside".

Collectivists btfo

Christ you're fucking dense, learn reading comprehension pls

>people treat life as a massive game theory model

Nah mate. Me not paying for a train ticket wont instantly make everybody else not pay for their train tickets.

Basic empathy.
I think if you lack this that makes you a real autist.

It's not about making people do anything you moron. It's about certain actions not being problematic on an individual level, but being detrimental on a collective level.

If you don't by a train ticket, it's not a problem, but if everyone stops buying train tickets, trains cease to exist as a business.

Which is why everyone wont stop buying train tickets, because they want the train to runs. Which means I can safely not buy a train ticket and leech off them. This is basic rational egoism. The OP's whole point is that he doesn't have to care about the consequences of "what if everyone did what I do?".

>Which means I can safely not buy a train ticket and leech off them. This is basic rational egoism

Also known as the free rider problem in economics, and is considered a market failure.

You're the one that's been creating an strawman from the very beginning, you fucking faggot.

choose your subjugation. To a group? Welcome to millenia of our species' dominance. To yourself? Good luck innawoods. Hope you can do surgery on yourself.

Because you literally have mirror-neurons predisposing you towards empathy to other human beings, and so the mere act of not caring about others in any fashion causes massive damage to your own mental health.

because I am the only thing that is real

The collections company will come and take your car.

Making it illegal to ride the train without a ticket and enforcing that law with lethal force won't prevent crafty people from continuing to ride for free. Instead of trying, why not just count on most people to pay for tickets and adjust the price of a ticket to account for a handful of free riders? If the number of freeloaders gets too high, you can do simple stuff like having someone in an official uniform check people's tickets. Authority is magical, even when you don't have any real ability to back it up. Because of the way humans work, you can have a functional society that services everyone's needs without the necessity of a social contract that everyone must be compelled by lethal force to follow.

Once you can't infer an ethical conclusion from a statement that claims something to be, an ethical/juridichal norm can only be proved true when you adopt an ethical axiom. Therefore, if you don't presumes any moral truth, evething becomes subjective.

this guy gets it

Helping people because it feels good seems egoist a.f. m80.

But what if killing people feels good too?

Why do you think people do it?

I don't think you understand Egoism.