ITT: Weird Armour from History

Is this... is this real? This armour looks REALLY impractical.

>"Well hello, fine sirs!"
>chinkchinkchink
>"Quite a grand ol' day for a battle, eh?"
>CLANK!
>foot gets stuck in mud
>"Oh goodness, gracious me! Well, no worries. That always happens now and then."
>metallic, echoey BBBBBBRRRRRAAAAAAPPP
>"*cough*Oh sweet, Jesus! *coughcoughchokegag* So what's the plan, generals? *chokegaggasp*"

This thing is so overt and boisterous, it's probably being moved into the Oval Office as we speak.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SF6uO8fsgP0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That armor would be worn by a prince of a king. You have to prove that you're worth your title to your allies and vassals. It's also not heavy, and engravings serve an actual tactical purpose of being easier to clean, use in battle, and raise morale. THeo nly problem is the thing on his head, which probably means this isn't a suit of armor at all but a ceremonial piece meant to commemmorate the actual suit of armor it was designed for.

I doubt you'll find any actual armor you can mock without sounding like an idiot who doesn't know what hes talking, no wonder you talk shit about presidents

This is so obviously ceremonial that I'm not sure what your fucking point is. Also, you'd be surprised how quiet and practical much historical armor was, despite appearances. Yeah, you'd hear it, but it wouldn't sound like I-beams grating against each other in an 80s film.

engravings offer to tactical advantage whatsoever

It's probably parade armor, but there's nothing impractical about it besides the helmet. What do you think looks weird about it?

Kek

some niggers mad they arent wearing those cannibalistic leather-bone shields that were used to get other niggers to be eaten alive by animals

Is this going to be another one of those "any piece of equipment that looks even the slightest bit ornate was obviously unsuitable for battlefield use and was purely ceremonial" threads?

you ever wear engraved armor? or are you talking out your ass?

do you think someone put that suit of armor on when it had a handle for people to kill him with? Or do you realize that its actually something resembling a sculpture to depict the tradition of a person and people who actually existed?

>he thinks a suit of armour is a fully enclosed, airtight gundam

It's another "brainlets attempt to discuss armour based on what they saw in Dark Souls" episode

armor was cool and one in a million to wear within the incredible contexts and times. It will always be the precursor to any body armor or helmet design. You laugh now but these pieces will echo forever, as long as there are people like you who are forgotten, there will be those that laugh in the face of your arrogance knowing that what you mock, a masterpiece that commanded respect and exemplifies the mastery of human ingenuity, will live on long after you.

Even in dark souls armor is not a fucking kettle pot. GoT is closer - every other Lannister is looking like unopenned can of beans.

>GoT is closer
fucking stop dude

I literally don't understand what point you're trying to make. That's just what armor looks like.

GoT is shit nigga

oh okay I thought you were saying GoT armor was closer to reality

>people expressing surprise that soldiers in the past actually wore armor
the absolute state of Veeky Forums

After all, young, rich, famous people are well known for being cautious and safety conscious and never, ever take stupid risks or do deliberately dangerous things just to show off to their friends or for a thrill. Right?

Show me the person who wore your suit of armor then you race-baiting faglord

It was this guy

It was ceremonial armor so he didn't actually have to go and fight in it

I'd be surprised if even 5% of the posters here have ever actually done any significant reading in history. Welcome.

It's not even the trolls and shitposters, by the way. Almost no one here is even remotely familiar with the standard sources in any of the topics they start threads in.

Different Farnese user. It was this guy, Alexander Farnese, Duke of Parma.

I wish Dark Souls had armour like OP's. It really fits the lore.

>It will always be the precursor to any body armor or helmet design

I agree with everything else, but I think it's only a practical precursor, meaning technique, form etc all led to modern body armor. But cultural elements, significance, and detail of parade armor went away by WWI

>stockings with bows on them

Presumably he larped as an animu princess when he wasn't larping as a knight

This was considered the apex of masculinity back in the day.
>post yfw traps would be considered machos in the middle ages.

>actually a knight
>larping as a knight

This fucking website I swear to God...

they probably pretended to hunt monsters

Speaking of Dark Souls, here's Vengarl.

The whole purpose of armour was to close as many gaps as possible, though.

what do you autists not understand about CEREMONIAL

there are a ton of swords and armor that were made for looks not use

It is incorrect to think that every piece of ludicrously decorated armor is "ceremonial". You are thinking too much like a modern person.

it would also mark him as someone extremely important who you would rather capture and ransom than kill

That armor in particular is ceremonial but generally speaking purely ceremonial equipment is quite rare

Nobles didn't leave their nice looking armor at home and head to the battlefield in munition plate churned out in a Milanese factory. It'd be like buying a Gibson Les Paul Goldtop and then playing all your gigs with a $150 Epiphone

Pic related was used in combat. Sword marks are visible on the helm.

>What is ceremonial armor

It's meant to be an over the top display of oppulence and power to show the masses sand remind them why you're better than them as well as to act as a symbol.

tell us more dr broscience

what would the cost equivalent of this type of armor be in the present?

The craftsmanship alone must have cost a small fortune.

quick someone post it
you know what i'm talking about

Not all fancy armor is ceremonial dude

>ywn look as pimpin as Richelieu

Watch this

youtube.com/watch?v=SF6uO8fsgP0

Fuck you John. I hope my unit beats your ass and gives you to me alive so I can masturbate to your hot body.

normie humor is really fucking cringeworthy and there is nothing weird or impractical about fucking plate armor

It's probably similar to having a fancy private yet or a 30m fully equipped sailing catamaran including professional crew.

One of those gazilion dollar suits. That elite was an elite of warriors so they spent a shitload of money on fancy armors. Today our elites are businessmen and other finances related people, so the dress of those men is the dress of the elite and they spent a shitload of money on those. The dress is less regal and blinky because different elites have different values.

What do you brainlets not understand about CONSPICUOUS CONSUMPTION?

Going from memory but the Earl Marshall ordered a new suit for what would be the Agincourt campaign. The suit itself cost about £40. Having it polished to a mirror finish cost another £40. This is when a common farm labourers annual earnings would be about £3.

A suit with decoration to this extent would be far in excess of that.

Correct, but not to the extent that if you fart it'd gas you to death.

Sometimes this armor is displayed with a jousting reinforce plate on the left pauldron which implies that it can be used for jousting at least. Those embossed decorations however would make it hard for a lance to slide off sideways.

Depending on the specific rules, you specifically want the lance to catch and break when it hits you instead of deflecting off.

>implying that isn't exactly what I wear to the club