Can got predict the future?

If he can't: Can he still be called omnipotent, also where did the prophecies come from?
If he can: Can we still have free will?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=w8w2mv-AflU
youtube.com/watch?v=CTUt3bUV9JY
faculty.fordham.edu/klima/Blackwell-proofs/MP_C40.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

*god

>he thinks God is a real entity
>not a psychological projection of human uncertainty and anxiety

hypothetical question

No.

Can you answer the secondary questions then?

Prophecies are nonsense. As much legitimacy as horoscopes and crystal balls.

Free will is an illusion. Of course, we have some elements of personal choice, but we are often subconsciously compelled to behave in one way or another.

I agree with you, I was hoping for someone who didn't though.

> Can god predict the future?
Yes.

youtube.com/watch?v=w8w2mv-AflU

He can, and we can still have free will

gb2reddit

Christian here.

The answer is no, because it's impossible to know with perfect certainty the choices of creatures with true free will. That said, he knows everything that has ever happened up until the present, and he knows all the possibilities of the future.

I wouldn't call God omnipotent. The more Biblical term would be Almighty. He knows everything that can be known. Future choices of free creatures cannot be known as certainties.

As for prophecy, prophecy is a display of God's power, not his foreknowledge. If I say I'm going to wear a red shirt tomorrow, and tomorrow comes and I'm wearing a red shirt, am I a prophet?

In a way, I am. But it didn't take much power from me. Now imagine all of the power and angels and knowledge that God has at his disposal. He can declare the future (what he will make sure, using his influence, comes to pass) and it will come to pass, many years in the future.

This is not an orthodox Christian view of God's knowledge. But it's easy to defend as biblical. And it's the only one that reconciles with free will.

>gb2reddit

Grow up. You never know when you might learn something.

youtube.com/watch?v=CTUt3bUV9JY

Christian here, it's not biblical

He does, but God and the holy trinity are seperate ideas. the trinity was effectively all-powerful prior to the creation of Elohim who became God upon The Father's execution and entrapment in hell. There is no free will, we make chocies that fall down a line of dominos

biblically, there is no free-will, it's a deterministic world view. t.protestent

Prediction assumes spatiotemporal extension/limitation, which is a quality which cannot be attributed to God as He is understood in Abrahamic theology or Western philosophy. Typically the language used is that of foreknowledge, and that is usually immediate qualified in terms of ectypal theology. In other words, it is not that God predicts or knows a thing before it happens, because He has no spatiotemporal extension. If He is, as Jews, Christians, and Muslims confess, omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent, then it is clear that God has both known AND decreed everything that comes to pass, and indeed sustains and upholds everything that is, including causality. Most Christians and Jews (although very few Muslims) will also say that this does not offer violence to the free will of man, nor does it eliminate contingency or second causes. Prophecies come from special revelation and inspiration from the Holy Spirit, and are infallible, but again, the liberty and contingency of second causes is not taken away. Special revelation occupies the space of the miraculous, not the ordinary world order, which is both sustained by divine providence, and also radically contingent.

If he can (probably is able to), that does not affect our free will. Because I don't have time to educate sapling plebes on the philosophy of this question, I'll leave you some reading of your own,
faculty.fordham.edu/klima/Blackwell-proofs/MP_C40.pdf

>If he can: Can we still have free will?
If God wills it. He's omnipotent, duh.

Time is a dimension so anyone can see and travel through time as they please. But only if God allows

He probably knows all possible outcomes so he can predict what can happen even if there are infinite possibilities because of our free will