Veeky Forums book and chart thread

let's get one of these threads going. recommend books. post charts. discuss books you're reading or plan to read in the future. ask questions about books. anything goes. all contributions to the progress of our collective knowledge as a board is welcomed. I'll start the thread by posting some charts i've made lately and resources for people to consult.

pic related is a new chart on the knights hospitallers

the Veeky Forums Mega book archive with over 2000 books and papers to download
mega.nz/#F!dlZlDbqL!TXG5bGvWufONkrQAL7b7jA

for those interested in audiobooks, there are several in this section of the Mega
mega.nz/#F!8wI0iAbK!H5mfo6CnivegkGkulyTuBg

most of the Veeky Forums charts made up to now can be downloaded together through the following link
mega.nz/#!95R1SCaC!2JQG77iCTQoOUpq_lPdv0fvd2cgJxkS50IksNZwbOm0

pastebin archive containing the Oxford annotated bibliographies
pastebin.com/u/jonstond2

cambridge reading lists
hist.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/hist-tripos/part-i/part-i-papers-2016-2017

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!xp9CwCZZ!OgQDaQqCO3hRjNbYQaWK8A
digitalcommons.unl.edu/dodmilintel/index.html
mega.nz/#!thoUlKQZ!sQuh_zsvnPMWvIbbXuKOpB7s0wIzmAFtaxBM0Dinbg4
pastebin.com/iXvFkrPT
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

chart on southern italy in the middle ages

free books can be found on libgen and b-ok. free academic articles can be accessed through sci-hub by pasting the link of your desired article into the search bar on the site

norman kindgom of sicily

franco's spain

Ive only read everitts bio of cicero which was good. Toynbee had a conservative and christian so take that as you want. Norwich isnt liked here though others love his byzantine trilogy. I personally didnt take to his writinf stule reading his book venice. I see livy moreso than polybius recommended but i think the consensis is that polybius and livy arenboth worth reading. Wickham is very well liked around here. Anthonys book is recommended now and again. Not sire about huntington.

Conservative and christian bent*

That said i think he was an accomplished scholar in his time but hes historiographically dated

Bump

Wickham's IOR is a dense dense read. It took a long time for me to plow through it. It does cover a middle ground between gloom and doom of Peter Heather/Bryce Ward Perkins vs the sunshine and rainbows of Peter Brown when it comes to Late Antiquity.

Lit rec chartfag here. Dumping all my content so far.

gr8. I think i've included most of them in the link in OP.

have you ever thought of organizing your recs by time period, theme or country like your last few?
i think theres value though in just doing it randomly. because when you make charts too ordered people are confronted with too many choices on one subject. the more jumbled pictures have the advantage that people can just take up books by whatever title or cover strikes their fancy and make random associations on books of very different times and places, which is fun and provoking (really there's just as much value in that imo as choosing a book for 'rational' reasons)

biblical history lacking except for John Walton

I'll just make a list here and if anyone wants to make a chart of it then they can

Mark S Smith - Early History of God
James K Hoffmeier - Israel In Egypt
Michael Heiser - Unseen Realm
John Day - Yahweh and the Gods of Canaan
Richard Hess - Israelite Religion
Van Toorn - Dictionary of Deities and Demon in the Bible
Frank Moore Cross - Ancient Yahwistic Poetry
John Walton - Genesis 1 as Ancient Cosmology
Bob Becking - Only One God?
Patrick D Miller - Ancient Israelite Religion
Peter C Craige - Ugarit and the Old Testament
Coogan - Stories from Canaan
T M Mettinger - In Search of God
Ben Sommer - Bodies of God
Victor Matthews - Old Testament Parallels and Social World of Ancient Israel
Kenneth A Kitchen - On the Reliability of the Old Testament
William Dever - What Did the Biblical Writers Know and When Did They Know It
Dictionary of the Old Testament series
James Pritchard - Ancient Near Eastern text relating to the OT

Here's some PDFs I have on Mesoamerican history:
mega.nz/#F!xp9CwCZZ!OgQDaQqCO3hRjNbYQaWK8A
Here's the Department of Defence's military intelligence, has some cool things about the USSR:
digitalcommons.unl.edu/dodmilintel/index.html

I might later upload some Census collections if I have the time, those are cool too.

>Mary Beard

i forgot go post your mega in OP my bad

Simplefied History for American Retards

uploading an Audiobook of African Kaiser: Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck and the Great War in Africa to the Mega for those interested

finished
mega.nz/#!thoUlKQZ!sQuh_zsvnPMWvIbbXuKOpB7s0wIzmAFtaxBM0Dinbg4

new pasta on the Yuan dynasty

Anyone have good books for Portuguese/Brazilian history? I can find lots of books on Spain and Spanish america, but having trouble with these.

>everything simple/dumbed down has to be for Americans because lol Americans are all dumb amiright
>calls others retards But Uses Absolutely Retarded Capitalisation

I made several charts on the portuguese empire but i never completed all of them. I have yet to make ones on portuguese africa, colonial brazil and the "portuguese atlantic". Here are all the books i've collected on colonial brazil though
pastebin.com/iXvFkrPT
it's not organized though.

i'll post the charts i've made on portugal so far though cause they have general works that'd cover the portuguese empire as a whole

Thanks, man

Any recs for East Asia, Central Asia, Middle East, and religious things like Gnosticism?
Or even stuff like Architecture/cities/settlements/etc?

afaik the charts are books taken straight from
rec threads in the order they're posted

any good books on early exploration/colonization of the americas?

stuff thats basically a compilation of first-hand sources would be best

Ah i had forgotten that the user compiled them that way

Bump

Well if you've got little background in it, China: A History by John Keay is a nice start.

Add in Furies: War in Europe its honestly my favorite book on war in the early modern period being about what we would call war crimes in that early age. Its a horrifying piece.

What are some good books on the Old Swiss Confederacy (political systems, taxation, war, relgion, and trade, as well as town structure/culture), and post Napoleonic Swiss History?