Does human life have intrinsic value?

Does human life have intrinsic value?

>value
Well you'd have to give a definition of Value first.

>define your terms!
I'll leave up to people who argue for why it doesn't or does have value.

Yes.

You're dumb. I value my fingers, but I also value a product I'm selling. You have to expand your arguments.

"intrinsic" is a mistake created by the greek platonic. Its a category mistake.

>Humanities
What a mistake...

I'm not making an argument

No.

Yes, because it is well established that there are, and will always be, people who value all life, including all their fellow humans. So, even if Bob doesn't value his life, there are other unknowns who do. So yes, all life has intrinsic value because it can and will be seen as valuable to someone. You could even go as far to say this is true because God loves all of His children.

Intrinsic value is a hard concept to actually talk about, because intrinsic implies that it has value without a conscious agent valuing it. And it's hard to imagine value existing at all in the universe without consciousness existing.

This is a non-problem for an animist, for consciousness is literally everywhere and in everything.

Not at all. We are just psychologically predisposed to take an interest in another group's well being and possibly assimilate them.

>rocks have consciousness
>sun has consciousness
>blackholes are conscious
kek

No

No, nothing does.

>vacuum has consciousness

value is always applied by some (conscious) actor, so nothing can potentially have intrinsic or inherent value

Yes but they don't all have the same value. Otherwise we wouldn't care about the deaths of 3 of our soldiers vs 1000 enemy civilians

4u

yes, sapience and existence itself lay outside the bounds which can be explained by science therefore the perspective science gives us of a cold soulless universe is not set in stone as atheists claim

no

Value is objective. Water is objectively valuable to all living creatures on this planet, regardless of intelligence, and will even fight over water with their own species and others if need be.

meant for

Positivism says no.
Subjectivism says value is subjective. Each person chooses whether or not to value anything. They appeal to something.