Why do Southern Italians Have Darker Skin?

I was just wondering this (Since I'm Italian). Why do Southern Italians have darker skin while Northern Italians have lighter skin? Does anyone have a good answer?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenotype
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Genetics and climate

But what genetics? What seperates the southern italians from the nothern ones?

It's hotter down there.

climate

Southern Italians have more Greek and Semitic blood.

Brainlets

Muslim genes

Because Italians were BTFO and creampied by the Moors. Same thing with the Spanish.

They're fucking indistinguishable from Egyptians Mexicans Brazilians or whatever brown skin. Italians and their brown counterparts are delusional as fuck in thinking they are white. That Arab bloke who Frogger'd a bunch of Spaniards the other day looks like one of the Italian cooks at the neighborhood pizza shop lol

>What seperates the southern italians from the nothern ones?
Magna Graecia. It's not a coincidence that the darker parts of terronia are Sicilia, Calabria and southern Puglia.
That's not to say that terroni are all greek spawn, mind you. The average terrone is only darker due to much higher sun exposure (the deep south literally has twice as many hours of bright sunshine on average compared to the Po Plain), but it's proven that they have a greek influence in their gene pool whereas polentoni are more in line with the rest of western Europe.

Less Yamnaya DNA

That doesn't make sense because how would it be passed down to me, I have darker skin and my grandfather has darker skin but neither of us have lived in Italy.

Now this actually makes sense, thank you. Is this because the Greeks and Semetics moved there or...?

>twice as many hours of bright sunshine
Does it?

>more exposed to sun
>not producing more melanin

You fell for the bait.

Even before The Greeks Siciloans clustered genetically where They are now

Nice MS paint graph. Source that shit bitch

>more exposed to sun
Only slightly more. Not enough to turn the whole population into shitskins.

>bitch
I'm a Scandinavian and therefore not your equal, you don't get to call me a bitch. Next time prostrate yourself and present your question in a kind, formal manner.

Just to give you a little bit of perspective of where my family is from in Italy, my grandfather's side is from Bari and my grandmother's side is from Scilla.

it is

I don't converse with Somalians, have a good day Habib.

northern italians are german rape babies and southern italians are greek rape babies.

See The difference between North and South Italy is like between Kentucky and Tennessee. It's not significant at all.

>provide literally no source
>attack others for lack of credibility

>Does it?
I guess it depends on the map (mine's from Rice). Over 3000 vs 2000-1000 is roughly twice in my books. Yours is also sunshine as opposed to 'bright sunshine', they're probably measuring different stuff.

There is very little to no difference in sunlight exposure between Italian regions unless you're comparing the extreme South with the extreme North, and even then it's a small difference.

Not to mention that modern humans don't spend much time out in the sunlight, especially during summer. And they tend to wear clothes.

But after thousands of years...?

I think it also depends on the kind of work the people do.
Let me explain:
The north has more industries and more infrastructure=more people working in offices and factories=less exposure to the sun
The south is way more agricultural and overall rural=more people working in farms and as fishermans and such=more exposure to the sun= you get tan even in december

see

Because southern Italians aren't white? Next question

That's not how genetics work. Just being in sunlight doesn't give you brown skin genes.

Thousands of years isn't that in evolutionary terms, and they would almost certainly be interbreeding quite a bit

South Shitalians descend from neolithic near easterners which mixed with copper age near easterners, North Italians are basically The same but They mixed with steppe people like urnfield, goths, celts and Lombards that white washed them

that long*

I know, that's why I'm trying to figure out why I have darker skin, people were saying climate and they're all talking about this bs about sunlight or whatever but it has nothing to do with my original question.

its does, especially if you are in it for most of your day, which ancient people were.

So you're saying if I go and get a deep tan and have a baby, my baby will have my tan?

>The north has more industries and more infrastructure=more people working in offices and factories=less exposure to the sun
>the last 200 years magically turned shitskins into white people
The evolution of a different skin color takes literally tens of thousands of years. The British have been living in Austrlalia for hundreds of years yet they are still white.

Its mainly just climate. You can see the same thing with the same people put in different geographic locations. With Greeks, with Persians, with Spaniards, etc...those who live in more temperate and cooler areas tend to have fairer skin pigmentation while those who live in hotter and more humid areas tend to have darker skin complexions due to more exposure to the sun.

Please describe the mechanism then.

No people is entirely homogeneous, that's the reason. South Italians have close genetic relations with Greeks. North Italians probably have connections with Celts and other continental Europeans.

you took it out of context. 1000's of years of being in the sun daily for hours does develop more melanin in your skin and your genes adapt to have this trait

but read

Your mixing up genetics with phenotypes.

I'm going to use my "I'm 15" card

phenotypes are a result of genetics

Genetic changes occur randomly. The environment "selects" them, but environmental conditions cannot actually force specific genetic mutations to happen. Theoretically speaking, you could have a black-skinned population living in Scandinavia for 30,000 years without their skin colour ever changing.

northern Italy was considered a part of Gaul until the Romans totally dominated it, then it was considered substandard farmland until the 9th century when 3 field crop rotation and the heavy plow became prevalent

the differences were as stark as that between Greece and Thrace and the distances similar

Not always no. There's nothing separating a light skinned Greek or Persian from their darker complexioned kin. Exposure to climate, weather, and sunlight has an effect on one's skin complexion.

Go put a thousand Germans in somewhere like southern Greece or Anatolia, and suspending variables like admixing with other people, return a thousand years later to see how they look. They won't be as fair skinned or pale due to their bodies adapting to the change in environment

>Theoretically speaking, you could have a black-skinned population living in Scandinavia for 30,000 years without their skin colour ever changing.
[citation needed]

>tens

That's ridiculous. Maybe for all the relevant mutations to develop(that's irrelevant anyway) but it's only a few(order of dozens) generations to change their frequency.

> A phenotype results from the expression of an organism's genetic code, its genotype, as well as the influence of environmental factors and the interactions between the two.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenotype

I can't figure out if this is bait or not. But I'll reply anyway. How come Italian-Americans still look like shitskins (they're mostly from Sicily and Naples) even though they're living in the cold cities of Chicago, NYC and Boston?

>eturn a thousand years later to see how they look. They won't be as fair skinned or pale due to their bodies adapting to the change in environment

Then why aren't blacks in America white yet?

Well they're mostly arabs pretending to be from Italy

I'm a med student who understands basic biology. High schools are doing a shit job at educating people on how evolution works because a lot of students end up with a Lamarckian understanding of genetics. Exposing yourself to a certain environmental condition won't make your genes "adapt". Genes are not conscious and they cannot decide to mutate in a specific manner. Indo-Europeans going white is literally nothing more than a series of RANDOM mutations that prevailed thanks to the environmental conditions in Eurasia, but were not CAUSED by those conditions.

>thousands of years
Nice american education
Also, african-americans are lighter skinned than actual africans
But they're all mulattos anyway

Citation needed.

>Also, african-americans are lighter skinned than actual africans
Because they're mixed you fag.

Environmental factors means what happens in their general biological environment in their development. I might have symmetrical features and so will my wife, but let's say she drinks and smokest and is stressed to shit for the duration and the baby comes out looking retarded with a disability. Those are environmental factors.

It doesn't actually mean the weather.

Why does it matter that climate doesn't cause mutations? It can still remove them from the gene pool.

>but they're all mulattos anyway
Learn to read, you dipshit

Phenotype isn't just skin color. Phenotype being influenced by environment means shit like people being taller if they eat better.

I'm 15 fucking loser haahaha

Blacks have been in in the Americas for around half a thousand years and besides the mixed ones we're not seeing them get any lighter via climate. If what you're saying is true then we'd be seeing SOME Population-wide phenotype difference which is not the case at all.

Olive/darker skin is native Italian skin.

Lighter color is from the Norther neighbors

Why aren't blacks in Boston lighter than blacks in Alabama?

Are you going to tell me increased carrot consumption makes Californian white people tan easier next?

Where do African Americans traditionally live again?
Perhaps a place where dark or at least brown skin is an advantage over pale which doesn't really fit in the region, often getting burned to red?

There is no such thing as Californian white people.

Blacks have been fleeing to the North and Canada for hundreds of years

Try again

The difference in climate is hardly drastic enough to make that happen. It would imply that most of the light-toned South Italians have been massively dying from skin cancer while a slight shade darker South Italians were significantly more resistant. Simply acknowledging that relatively large nations like Italians aren't genetically homogeneous and have been shaped by migrations seems like a more probable explanation.

After all, aren't brown Arabs more exposed to sunlight than sub-Saharan pitch black Africans? And why aren't Inuits as pale as the Irish?

>olive skin
People misunderstand what this term means. Pic related is olive skin.

While pic related is just a shitskin

This is Veeky Forums not Veeky Forums

This is why humanities majors couldn't get into STEM programs - they believe shit like years of exposed sun-light will magically rewrite the code in your semen to make brown skinned babies if you weren't already

>2600 – 1800
You just made that yourself and you should feel ashamed. You're a useless cunt.

You have a very warped idea of how selection works and the timescales involved. Maybe people in northern US would ideally have some intermediate, brown complexion similar to Sicilians but there is no reason why there would be such strong selective pressure for it that it would happen in 4 generations.

Literally google europe usa sunglight hours you subhuman. Please tell me your nationality so I can laugh at you.

>that it would happen in 4 generations.

But 6 or 7 generations is just right?

The intensity of solar radiation is distinct from the duration of it, mapping more reliably to latitude.

Italy has been getting invaded by different ethnic groups throughout history.

Southern Italy =
Colonized by the Greeks in the 8th and 7th centuries BCE
Conquered by the Romans
Invaded by the Vandals, Visigoths and Ostrogoths
Retaken by the Byzantines (Greeks).
Sicily invaded by the Arabs and suffered some African migration as well
Conquered by Spain

Northern Italy =
Originally Celtic
Conquered by the Romans
Invaded by the Carthaginians
Invaded by the Vandals, Ostrogoths and Visigoths
Invaded by the Huns
Invaded by the Lombards
Annexed into the Holy Roman Empire
Invaded and annexed into Austria-Hungary

I would say between 50 and 500 depending on the rate of intermarriage with Europeans who provide the lightening alleles. It would be much faster for a 50% European population to hit the mark than a 1% European one.

You conveniently ignored the second sentence I see.

Actually 50 is too much since mulattoes are close to Sicilian complexion anyway. Let's say 10.

>Northen Italy

>invaded by Carthaginians

Retard, They allied with them, also North Italy was actually invaded and raped by Arabs

If you don't see any changes the 6th generation it's highly doubtful you're going to see any at the 10th.

Once you hit 50-500 then we're talking one. Scale of tens of thousands of years at which point the discussion is completely fruitless

It has to be non-consensual for it to be rape, friend-o

Inbreeding

Southern Italians are low-IQ inbred Mediterraneans while Northern Italians are Roman/Lombard mixed

NYC has a sub-tropical climate and actually shares roughly the same latitude as Madrid, Spain.

There are some things you don't quite understand.

Many if not all frequent Mendelian recessive and some dominant mutations originate in small breeding groups which absolutely don't need thousands of years for shifts in 0 to 100 in allele frequencies, in fact 10 sounds great and 6 sounds okay.

Population growth and introgression from these groups with shifted allele frequencies can greatly lessen the time involved in allele frequency shifts in much larger populations so we don't need to talk about thousands of years.

>Northern Italy =
>Originally Celtic
Etruscans weren't celtic

Why are you linking me to an article that further reinforces what I am saying as an attempt at a rebuttal?

It's been ~5 generations and nothing's happened so far so we'll see

Is this why I sweat my balls off every summer even when I'm bare ass naked?

No, that's because it's humid there. I'm in Arizona and I don't even have to turn the AC on (100 degrees right now).

>why do people from very near to Switzerland look a bit like people who are actually from Switzerland and why do people from quite near Tunisia look a bit like people who are actually from Tunisia?
Sorry to be rude OP, but are you a bit thick?

Debunk this:

Muhammad, Abdul and Jafar are bored so they sail across the sea and happen upon some blue eyed qt named Alexandria. It's been a long trip so they decide to give Alex some of their hummus and hang around for a couple years. Alex gives birth to a pasta-hummus baby and it's pretty tan, looks a lot like jafar's sister actually. Anyways Abdul and Jafar enjoyed giving Alex their hummus so much they want to give their hummus to Alex's family and friends. They send Muhammad back to the caliphate home base to get hummus backup. Pretty soon Aroon, Abu, Habib and co. Are serving their hummus en Masse to these blonde qts.

As time passes, you've got a lot of pats hummus teenage girls running around. Jafar is an older man now but that one pasta hummus girl looks like she really needs some hummus. So he gives it to her. Now she has a double hummus baby, so much so there's barely any trace of pasta left.

Now imagine this hummus spreading for a couple hundred years. And he thing with hummus, it's just so good that long after Abdul and Jafar and friends are dead and gone the hummus keeps spreading and spreading on this nice pita bread island we like to call Sicily.

This hummus story is more believable and a more credible theory on why south Italians are virtually indistinguishable from Abdul and his sisters.

>Madrid, Spain
Why did you have to say "Spain", did you think we would perhaps confuse it with Madrid, Iowa?

He was correct, nigger. Your graph is fucked up as if made by bimbi. Tu sei idiota infinito. Vaffan culo.

t. terrone