What was life like in British and French MENA?

What was life like in British and French MENA?

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/x47ufcc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Note that French MENA is the only one that is stable and sucessful while British MENA is just a bunch of failed state

>inb4 Lebanon
Lebanon was doing fine, its only bad point is being so close of shitholes like Israel and Jordan, so their shit spill on it

>inb4 Syria
Anglos destabilized it by destroying Iraq and financing a fake rebellion in Syria

Algeria and Tunisia were turned from a worthless desert into a decent place with cities akin to those in France
Pic related, Algiers in 1940
Very much like Paris

Of course by now, so many time has passed since they rejected their French benefactors that they're basically the average arabic shithole again

The same city nowdays

Wtf what went wrong?

Yet the average Algerian Muslim was considered a non-citizen and was viewed by the French as subhuman unless they denounced their faith, in which case they would still be discriminated against due to their colour.

>build a paradise on the coast for French citizens
>exclude native uneducated arabs from said civilisation
>discriminate against said natives
>natives want French rulers to leave
>French then carpet bomb and massacre hundreds of thousands of Algerians
>Algerians build one of the only functioning, partially secular democracies in the MENA region from the ashes of their crippled nation
>defend said democracy from Islamic fascists multitudes of times
>same can't be said for the French

Also did I mention that De Gaulle abandoned all the harkis that fought for the French republic? The only people that wanted the French there were stabbed in the back kek

The commies forced him to do so

No they didn't. They didn't want them because they were colony plebs coming to Paris in large numbers and the thing about colonialism is that the colony SHOULD NEVER BE BROUGHT HOME.

How did the French view Lebanese Christians?

If you think Lebanon wasn't going to implode without the assistance of Its neighbors, you're sorely mistaken. The government's Christian-Shi'a-Sunn'i structure was inherently unstable and with the natural demographic growth in favor of the Muslim communities at the expense of the Christian one the Christians were bound to eventually make a power grab (which they eventually did).

Syria was primarily destabilized by its Government being a repressive and unpopular minority rule dictatorship with a stagnant economy in a politically unstable time and place.

Also, Algeria has a fuckton of homegrown Islamic rebel extremists, it's just that the government does a really good job of repressing them all.

They liked them so much they gave them the role of Executive Power in the original Lebanese government. It was a Triumvarte where the President was Christian, the Prime Minister was Sunn'i, and the Speaker of the Legistlature was Shi'a.

Unfortunately for Lebanon, the Muslim communities grew larger and faster than the Christian one (in 1950 it was roughly equal amongst the three) and the Christians eventually attempted a putsch to secure their control over the Government. Needless to say, it failed.

>what went wrong
user decided to post a pic of a dirty neighborhood in Algers, as if world capitals don't have one, instead of the rue d'isly that was described in the pic of that postHere is the rue d'isly nowadays.

Let's be honest there user, Algeria is a democracy only in the name.

>mfw the only decent looking streets in Algeria are the ones built bu the French

>nowadays
>photo taken in the 80s

It didn't change much since then.
Here is a pic from 2013.

It would be nice to prove that claim though.

K den
Here's an Algerian village in which the French didnt bother making architectural change
That's how most of Algerian settlements looked before the French conquest

Basically your average arabic hellhole

No user, showing 1(one) Algerian village where french didn't make architectural change does not prove that " the only decent looking streets in Algeria are the ones built bu the French".
Also your reasoning implies that Algerian architecture didn't change since then.

Looks comfy desu

Probably less crowded and less developed :^)

Looks better than modern slums and tower blocks.

>shithole
dailymotion.com/video/x47ufcc

>No user, showing 1(one) Algerian village where french didn't make architectural change does not prove that " the only decent looking streets in Algeria are the ones built bu the French".

It's an exemple, faggot
Here's another one
There are thousands of them in the south of the country (while pretty much every settlement on the coast was modified by the French and thus look better)

Lmao the absolute state of your tastes

How did the coastal cities look like before the French?

>it worked great apart from half the time

French invaded Tunisia while government was trying to reform on the excuse of them not paying their debts. Stop pretending Pierre.

>It's an exemple, faggot
And I didn't ask for an example you double faggot.
I precisely asked of you to prove your claim. Which you didn't. What even was the point of your previous post if you didn't want to prove anything?

> be a pirate muslim shithole terrorizing the Med for centuries
> French bring civilization to backward shitskins
> Muh evil racist French

Praise cultural marxism.

>implying this isn't the fate you deserve when your ambassador throws a fan at the French ambassador

>Cherry picking neighbourhoods

>tfw both Algerian and French architecture look comfy for different reasons
Functional simplicity vs unfunctional elegance. It's pretty cool how a city can have both within a block of eachother regardless of where you are in the world.

>mfw this thread

Like that

But on the coast

Shitty post desu

>French bring civilization to backward shitskins
>2017
>People still fall for Jules Ferry's meme when Clemenceau called out his hypocrisy just after that and that history has proven Clemenceau right.

>Muh evil racist French
The french colonial politic WAS racist at the time. Read Jules Ferry thesis.
Europeans observators estimated the Algerian population to be between 1 and 3 millions people. During the conquest of Algeria (1830-1872) 875 000 algerians died. That's a huge loss for Algeria's population. The french government saw these human loss as beneficial as they decreased the numerical difference betwwen indigenes and french colonisators. They also actively tried to erase the Algerian cultural identity in order to assimilate them and make it easier to govern.

>Unironically using cultural marxism
Why did I even bother replying?

It was a turk pacha.

Frenchs didn't venture into the desert unless it was to extract natural ressources. So it was more like they were busting into existing cities/town and improved them with their architectural knowledge. However they improved them for their own uses. Moroccans, Algerians and Tunisians truly used them for themselves only when they achieved independance.

>It was a turk pacha.

And Algeria (or should I say Algiers, as there was no such thing as Algeria until France created it) was a Turkish possession
Case in point

>During the conquest of Algeria (1830-1872) 875 000 algerians died. That's a huge loss for Algeria's population.

That shit spawns over hlaf a century though
Population wasnt stagnating
870,000 losses over 50 years =/= 870,000 losses in a year

Yes but user was making it sound as it was an algerian that threw the fan. Unless he actually believes that Algerians should suffer the consequences of what a foreign ambassador did.
It still is a huge human loss. I never implied that they were yearly losses otherwise Algerians would have been wiped out in the first years of the war.

>Unless he actually believes that Algerians should suffer the consequences of what a foreign ambassador did.
If by "a foreign ambassador" you mean "their turkish overlord" and by "suffer the consequences" you mean "get ridden of t*rks and receive civilization"

>It still is a huge human loss. I never implied that they were yearly losses otherwise Algerians would have been wiped out in the first years of the war.
Anyway, this 875,000 number is very very doubtful
Most battles in the French conquest and pacification ended with relatively small losses (pic related)

>They also actively tried to erase the Algerian cultural identity in order to assimilate them and make it easier to govern.
That's not true.
They actually protected the most tangible structures of their culture (religion and religious legal system), and restrained the opportunities for assimilation. Precisely because they thought if they started a cultural battle they would get back a jihad.
Also because they didn't want brown Frenchmen.

>If by "a foreign ambassador" you mean "their turkish overlord" and by "suffer the consequences" you mean "get ridden of t*rks and receive civilization"
You forgot to mention the human losses that occured during Algeria conquest and the attempted erasement of their culture. Also they didn't receive civilization, only a few of them were raised with french education.

>Most battles in the French conquest and pacification ended with relatively small losses
The war lasted for almost half a century. Also not every deaths occured in proper battles. Google the "Ouffia tribe" and read how they were slaughtered. And keep in mind that they were not the only tribe that was wiped out. The Sbéahs shared a similiar fate.

True, I was wrong about them wanting to asimiliate the Algerians.
However the frenchs colons saw that, under Islam, a resistance was created.
A treaty was signed by the general De Bourmont and Alger Bey where France engaged itself to respect the liberty, faith and properties of every algerian. However they still tried to weaken Islam. Dozens of mosques were expropriated and a few cimeteries were razed so the colons could use the land for their crops. Most of the opposants were either imprisoned or exiled like the mufti Mustapha El Kebabti.

> J'étais avec mon bataillon dans une colonne commandée par Cavaignac. Les Sbéahs venaient d'assassiner des colons et des caïds nommés par les Français ; nous allions les châtier. Après deux jours de course folle à leur poursuite, nous arrivons devant une énorme falaise à pic [...] Dans la falaise est une excavation profonde formant grotte. Les Arabes y sont, et, cachés derrière les rochers de l'entrée, ils tiraillent contre nous. [...]

> À ce moment, comme nous nous sommes fort rapprochés, nous commençons à parlementer. On promet la vie sauve aux Arabes s'ils sortent. La conversation fait cesser les coups de fusil. [...] Le capitaine Jouvencourt sort du rocher derrière lequel il est caché et s'avance seul devant l'entrée. [...]

>Déjà il leur parle, lorsque ceux-ci font une décharge, et il tombe raide mort, atteint de plusieurs balles. Il fallait prendre d'autres moyens. On pétarda l'entrée de la grotte et on y accumula des fagots, des broussailles. Le soir, le feu fut allumé. Le lendemain, quelques Sbéahs se présentaient à l'entrée de la grotte demandant l'aman à nos postes avancés. Leurs compagnons, les femmes et les enfants étaient morts. Les médecins et les soldats offrirent aux survivants le peu d'eau qu'ils avaient et en ramenèrent plusieurs à la vie ; le soir les troupes rentraient à Orléansville. Telle fut la première affaire des grottes.

Literally asked for it

Trust a muslim, feel the pain

>Literally asked for it
I share the same thought but women and children also died in that cave, dying because of the retards who shot an officer trying to peacefully resolve the matter.

>1844
>a bunch of muslims is hidden in some cave in the desert while white soldiers try to dislodge them

Good to see the world hasnt changed much after all

> muh racist French
Yeah I don't need your leftist revisionism. And cultural marxism is the name we (the resistance to the academia) have given leftist insanity, just like you leftists term everything phobia. It's a legitimate term.

Fact is the Algerians were and are an incredibly backward people, and them dying resisting the French doesn't make the French muh racist. In fact, the Algerians owe everything positive in their country to the French.

Looks the plebs had a difference of opinion. Funny how that works.

The majority of democracies are the same, after all.

More like note that the Maghreb is bound to be more stable than the Middle East because the USA isn't actively trying to destroy any hope of stability in the former.

>rounding 42 up to 50
That's the only thing that triggers me.

Looks cute and better than most modern cities

>Yeah I don't need your leftist revisionism. And cultural marxism is the name we (the resistance to the academia) have given leftist insanity, just like you leftists term everything phobia. It's a legitimate term.

*tips fedora*

>Yeah I don't need your leftist revisionism.
>them dying resisting the French doesn't make the French muh racist.
And where did I say that? Did you miss the "read Jules ferry thesis"?
Jules Ferry was speaking about how the superior races (yes, that's a LITTERAL translation) have a duty to civilize the lower ones in order to give a humanitarian aspect to the colonization. That was the speech he gave to the national assembly in 1885 (the speech is very famous in France and is studied in the french history course in High school)
The simple mention of superior and inferior races makes it racist.

>the Algerians were and are an incredibly backward people
Just backwards, not incredibly so for the time. That adjective goes for the subsaharian people.
It also isn't an excuse to justify France ingerence. If the algerians accepted it would be all right but they didn't have any right to force the algerians to get "civilized" (and even them they only civilized a small elite to help them administrate the territory).

>In fact, the Algerians owe everything positive in their country to the French.
Who knows? I think the industrial revolution would have arrived sooner or later in Algeria even without french intervention. I mean Algeria has a lot of oil reserves, it wouldn't be hard to strike a deal with any other country interested in them.

Ok. >>reddit

iran 1979 independent of european control? what the fuck?

The British never really 'did' much with their MENA territories. The Suez Canal was the important thing. The rest was just cockblocking other powers and controlling trade.

Thus, life was pretty much like under other indigenous powers, except you had policemen wearing bobby hats and a nice cuppa in the afternoons.

Do you imply French civilization isn't superior and far more humane than the Algerian mudshit civilization?

Islam should be wiped off the Earth and decolonisation was the worst idea of the 20th century. There's nothing racial about Western civilization being a godsend to peoples with inferior cultures (read: Africa and Islamic countries).

What is always conveniently forgotten is that before the West came, these savages were slaughtering each other. The West brought more stability and rule of law than these peoples ever had.

Muh Congo isn't representative.

>Do you imply French civilization isn't superior and far more humane than the Algerian mudshit civilization?
For fuck's sake you keep twisting my words over and over again.I explicitely said that isn't incredibly backwards because subsaharian people existed at the time. It's like speaking about hot things, boiled water is hot while lava is incredibly hot. .

>There's nothing racial about Western civilization being a godsend to peoples with inferior cultures
You are just covering up your ears at this point. I'm done discussing with you.

ITT: salty goat fuckers

The Shah was a Western puppet.

Yeah, after all you have a truck attack to prepare

> Shah was a Western puppet

This meme again

You seem incredibly butthurt m8

lol what?
there are clearly proof he was a fucking puppet, that he wanted to change iran for better that is another story

The Shah was implementing Western policies, but he wasn't a puppet. Following your logic, Atatürk was a Western puppet too.

He is lol.

they asked for it my bad, nafirs ITT