Book thread

I'm thinking about reading pic related.

Do you have any recommendations for books which I should swap with other books?

Do you know of any good 15th-16th centruary books?

Have you read any good books?

Are you wondering about certain books that you are going to read are good?

While I haven't read any of those, your selection looks pretty awesome. Looks like you have some good reading to do.

You just made me realise that I mostly read books that span a lot of centuries.

I would like to recommend this one about the Spanish empire. I liked reading it.

Loved this one too.

Hilary Mantell for Tudor era historical fiction.

John Julius Norwich is usually an instabuy for me. I like his books.

Other instabuy authors of mine are Tom Holland and Niall Ferguson.

You'd probably enjoy Frances Fukuyama.

Why? He was famously wrong with his 'the end of history' claim, I can't take anything he writes seriously.

I'm reading this book right now. I can't vouch for the accuracy since I don't know a whole lot about this period of time but his writing style is really fun.

Yeah I've read this in 3 days about a few weeks ago. Really pulls you in

This book got me into reading history books. Holland's style is fantastic. I can recommend all of his other books too.

so Dynasty and Persian fire are both worth a read?

Is the History of Rome by Mary Beard any good? I'm sceptical about reading a history book written by a woman.

Just read Dynasty I loved it. Persian Fire was great too.

Is there a Greek chart?

Good shit.

I'm saving these charts. Thanks for the autism.

Is it good? It's on my shortlist.

Somewhat too technical in some chapters, main complaint I've seen is it that it's too ''dry'' which I can somewhat understand.

You don't know the true meaning of autism.

Reading Willson is incredibly hard and dry as fuck sometime unless you're a real history fanatic but if you're getting his Thirty Years Wars book get his Heart of Europe/Holy Roman Empire book too.

It's by far the most expansive single book on that whole mess.

How is Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson? I'm looking for a good one book introduction to the Civil War. I'm a rank amateur, basically most of what I know about it at the moment is meme-level.

This combined with Bismarks memoirs (don't know if they were ever translated) is probably the best way to uderstand the dude

Steinberg is the only historian that writes Birsmark with giving him props for the good shit he did while also criticism him without shitting on him.

Looking for reading regarding 16th century German religious conflict, namely the Munster Rebellion

Looking for something on the 7 years war and the great northern war. would a book on the hapsburgs do a good enough job on covering the 7 years war? and would a book on peter the great or charles XII cover the great northern war well enough?

I get that dan carlin is a meme but he usually cites his sources on his podcasts. maybe take a look at his website and see if he put the sources he used for his episode on the munster rebellion.

Is Rise and Fall of the third reich any good?

I'll check it out, but that's what first got me interested. My little brother and I drove up to Rhode Island this summer and he got into the Carlin podcasts after we listened to the Mongol one together. Thanks for the tip!

This book is about the German religious conflict and the Munster rebellion so it's exactly what you're looking for. It's a fantastic read too. I think it's only available in Dutch though so I hope you read Dutch.

I don't, one of the problems I've run into is that so much of what I could read just isn't in English.

I do have to pick a language in the near future for muh batista degree.

Am I pleb for liking historical novels from people like Simon Scarrow or Bernard Cornwell

who know, where find "The Libyan War 1911-1912" by Luca Micheletta ?

Not really. Robert Graves "I, Claudius" and Colleen Mcullogh's "Masters of Rome" are pretty beloved here.

you'd be better off with Richard J. Evans trilogy.

wtf, i didn't know Veeky Forums read books, I thought it was just 15 year olds and /pol/fags spewing pop history
nice thread

Azincourt was best of them in my opinion, its probably just because i liked that love story, but it was definitely better than 1356

any good comprehensive book on WW1 if I know the basics of the flow of events but just want something on a bit more advanced look at things?

Oxford illustrated is usually a safe bet.

as are these

more academic stuff can get expensive or not as easy to acquire but this is worth it.

this was an eye-opener

Is it good?
spaniard here. our history national education is garbage, and I feel I need to know more about my people

So is this book saying they didn't get along that well under Muslim controlled spain?

If I wanted to read up on the war of the roses should I first start with the hundred years war? Or are they completely understandable separated from eachother?

>So is this book saying they didn't get along that well under Muslim controlled spain?

amongst other things

>If I wanted to read up on the war of the roses should I first start with the hundred years war? Or are they completely understandable separated from eachother?

you'd be as well to start with Henry II/Eleanor of Aquitaine and take it from there.
This works as an early Plantagenet intro despite the title. There's also Dan Jones.

you're allowed to have some fun on occasion, user

Currently reading it and it's pretty good. She's very good at creating a visual image in the reader's mind. Makes it way more engaging. And I like the focus on ordinary life.

r8 new purchase

Anyone know where I some good IJA orbats 1937-43 ideally?

Look around for Furies: War in Europe 1450-1700. Its great.

>40 books
>introduction

>by the time an actress has acquired enough experience to play Juliet she's too old for the part

In two days, my audible account will renew itself and I'll have 2 additional credits which can be used to buy any book. I'm leaning towards "The Crusades" by Thomas Asbridge. Can somebody recommend me another book on Medieval history to go along with it?

Dan Jones new book on The Templars also just came out but dunno if has audio yet.

I looked it up, and apparently the audiobook is going to released in 2 days......which is exactly when my account reloads, so it isn't an issue. However, I would want to listen through "The Crusades" in its entirety first before getting that Templar book because I imagine there might be a lot of repeat information.

Exceptional taste.

the first six or seven books i put in the first row are really where you should start but all of them are acceptable if you chose at random i'd reckon

Persian Fire is just propaganda and based on poor scholarship.

Pretty much the best book overall on the civil war. Shelby Foote's 3 volume set is also just as good but it's longer and gonna be more expensive since it's 3 sperate books.

Millenium and the Islam one is the best.

Anyone who thinks Embodying Empire is good has shit opinions.

It's a shame he's a shitty historian who writes a pack of sensationalist lies.

His Islam book turned me off him major, as someone whose a bit of an expert in the history of Islam his book is basically fantasy.

But what can one expect from a "historian" with no qualifications.

>His Islam book turned me off him major, as someone whose a bit of an expert in the history of Islam his book is basically fantasy.
Can you elaborate?

Who know some good book about Italian Navy pre-WW1/WW1?

saving this thread

this series is a good time

Thanks bro!

Are there any good books on the history of Islam that you'd recommend? I've read Fred Donner's book on the early Islamic conquests and his revisionist book about the believer's movement, but don't know what else is good.

Anyone got any good books on modern African conflicts? I'm looking specifically for resources on the Ogaden War and the Congo Wars, but I'll take pretty much anything.

So far all I've found for the Ogaden War is some ~50 page book about the air war and some 1980s 30 page paper analyzing the Soviet involvement.

Are there any books on history that will change not just my knowledge of history, but also my outlook on life or my personal philosophy?

Also, this is kinda related to the other question, who were the most inspiring historical figures? Who could I read about that would motivate me to strive towards being a better person?

Got a few

I'm currently reading the Crusades and its pretty damn good. I'm also interested in similar reads

Getting Zwingli's Commentary on True and False Religion

You write sensationalist lies. There aren't many sources on early Islam so he went with the sources there are. There is nothing wrong with that book.

Are there any charts for the celts and celtic society?

Are there any good books on Chartered Companies? If possible not just an "evil whitey" cry story.
Can also be books focused on a specific company (like Dutch East India Company or British Honourable East India Company)

>Mary Beard
Into the fucking trash it goes. I would not recommend her in the slightest. I'm on mobile and don't have the time to type up much, but a simple glance at her Wikipedia I'm sure will turn most away. Do not be fooled by the cool looking cover - I can guarantee you it's pseudo-historical revisionist bullshit layered with a fuckton of hyperbole.

It reads like fucking Harry Potter. You tell me.

>Admits he hasn't actually read the book
>Insists that it is trash anyway

There is literally nothing wrong with SPQR by Mary Beard.

Her WIkipedia page says she is a professor of Classics at arguably the top university in the world and has won prestigious awards for her work as well.