Rare or Interesting Historical Footage

A thread similar the one about interesting historical photos but I think there might be more to discover here.
Naturally most of that can be found on youtube but perhaps someone can dig out something new from some archives.

Queen Victoria (1898)
youtube.com/watch?v=6jXwGKusIPM
There are a couple pieces of footage of Vicky but this is the best one we have because we actually see her face for a moment.

US soldiers landing in Cuba during Spanish-American War (1898)
youtube.com/watch?v=pNNsFTj7RvQ
Most of the footage from the war is fake but this one is real. There are a couple more of American ships and a victory parade.

Otto von Bismarck (1890s)
youtube.com/watch?v=QK4PQr3gNfs
Perhaps the oldest of the bunch but can't put the exact date.

Buffalo Bill and his Wild West Show (1908)
youtube.com/watch?v=UJ7DZD-zATw

Robert Falcon Scott and the Terra Nova Expedition (1910-1912)
youtube.com/watch?v=PyMLx2mv1Qg
There's more footage in the documentary that is pretty easy to find.

WWI-era tanks (1916-1918)
youtube.com/watch?v=bbTvQOiGiWI

Robert Wadlow - the tallest man in history (1935)
youtube.com/watch?v=5McWw03Ryrs

Plane Crashes Empire State Building (1945) - newsreel
youtube.com/watch?v=5YLWh8Rbp7o

Le Mans Crash (1955)
youtube.com/watch?v=DrTrZaHSl1I

Joe Kittinger's free fall from the edge of space (1960)
youtube.com/watch?v=fM39Z3grkpg

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MXOSKjQYhbo&t=50s
youtube.com/watch?v=8cKKcSavTNI&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=G9DpKDwCJcM&t=
youtube.com/watch?v=Q0OCd6b1aXU
youtube.com/watch?v=ZLdTC0svLns
youtube.com/watch?v=AUjcGpLupaM
youtu.be/YhTrmYzp4gE
youtu.be/SnOvB9ucgNM
youtube.com/watch?v=kymi7y6CyJA
youtube.com/watch?v=KCUheInoaMY
youtube.com/watch?v=FBN3xfGrx_U
youtube.com/watch?v=NmySW22PEM4&list=PLb4EHusFWWvAxQFnrbnAEDpHe5pMLl2YY&index=21
youtube.com/watch?v=BS9GYuMw_5g&list=PLb4EHusFWWvAxQFnrbnAEDpHe5pMLl2YY&index=20
youtube.com/watch?v=26N1CtViXRs&list=PLb4EHusFWWvAxQFnrbnAEDpHe5pMLl2YY&index=17
youtube.com/watch?v=_8lDSM75UZM&list=PLb4EHusFWWvAxQFnrbnAEDpHe5pMLl2YY&index=15
youtube.com/watch?v=H2RM497EtHs&list=PLb4EHusFWWvAxQFnrbnAEDpHe5pMLl2YY&index=10
youtube.com/watch?v=irO2WYd3bgg&list=PLb4EHusFWWvAxQFnrbnAEDpHe5pMLl2YY&index=9
youtube.com/watch?v=R5i9k7s9X_A
youtube.com/watch?v=Es6f7K4c-y8
youtube.com/watch?v=B-m9A8mY-U0
youtube.com/watch?v=cwr3mTlWdJY
youtube.com/watch?v=1F_tIACDK_w
youtube.com/watch?v=pGZ6b758IrE
youtube.com/watch?v=gNNkRuSw_0Q
youtube.com/watch?v=Jl5T2HU3v64
youtube.com/watch?v=GbDWnJ9oDVc
youtube.com/watch?v=Z2lejjKUbvM
youtube.com/watch?v=PTkcRxXWHkI
youtube.com/watch?v=NerS17sC0Bg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Pretty interesting stuff, thanks OP.

Hiroo Onoda, lieutenant of the Imperial Japanese army. photographed right after his surrender in Philippines, 1974. Until then he waged a 30 year guerilla struggle against Filipino goverment, refusing to believe that his country capitulated. He gave up only when his commanding officer came from retirement to convince him to surrender. Filipinos forgave Onoda, and he came back to Japan, where he died in 2014

youtube.com/watch?v=MXOSKjQYhbo&t=50s
1957(?) interview with Janos Kadar, leader of communist Hungary.

This photograph was strictly censored in Nazi Germany.
It shows Leni Riefenstahl, Hitler's favourite film director, shocked and terrified after witnessing execution of 22 civilians during her filming of conquest of Poland, 1939.
According to her memoir she tried to stop the execution, but soldier threatened her with gun.

I was curious if there was any footage of Rasputin and it looks like me may have caught a glimpse of him.

youtube.com/watch?v=8cKKcSavTNI&feature=youtu.be

youtube.com/watch?v=G9DpKDwCJcM&t=

Footage of Patton in incredible quality.

Litteraly soldiers lore from tf2.

This guy is my hero.

Raw footage of the extinct imperial woodpecker. There are no photos of this bird (while it was alive) just this film from 1956.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q0OCd6b1aXU
youtube.com/watch?v=ZLdTC0svLns
youtube.com/watch?v=AUjcGpLupaM

The first photo taken of actual war.

That's Sedan. 1870. Considering American Civil War has wonderful photos I'm gonna disagree. I've heard that the first was Second Anglo-Sikh War from 1848 though there are also some photos from Mexican-American War which started in 1846 so perhaps this one is even earlier.

But you probably meant first photo of actual battle taking place. Are there really no such photos from American Civil War?

Damn look at those smug flips, they couldn't grasp national honor even if it was slathered with dollar bills and honey.

Ok I looked for a bit and those photos from the 1863 attack on Fort Sumter (Second Battle of Charleston Harbor) of firing ironclads and exploding shells are the first combat photos.

>wasting 29 years of your life on something completely pointless

Figures he'd be a hero to chanlets.

Any pictures from the Crimea war?

Obviously.Lots of them. And it's interesting considering it's one of the few large conflicts during Pax Britanica with some veterans of Napoleonic wars.

Buenos Aires, 1962

youtu.be/YhTrmYzp4gE

Were the late 1950s - early 1960s the peak of Human civilization?

More footage, 1950s

youtu.be/SnOvB9ucgNM

South American cities are probably the most decadent in the world
youtube.com/watch?v=kymi7y6CyJA

>Spending 30 years fighting for a nation you still had hope in, never losing faith in your country or your emperor.
Figures that cucks wouldn't understand.

Rio was poor in the 1950s though.

But looking at Buenos Aires in the 1960s and today makes you want to cry. No comparison.

Which makes the downfall of Argentina a lot more interesting to see. Funny how economic ignorance can destroy a country

Yeah, that and political instability.

The first coup in 1930 ended 70 years of unbroken constitutional rule, free trade and rule of law. From then on the country stagnated from being Australia or Switzerland-tier in the 1940s to becoming Portugal or Poland-tier today.

Very depressing and a unique case in modern history.

Kind of an obscure feel here but
>tfw will never get a chance to go through hours of high quality historical footage of everyday life from the 20th century that's usually just stored away

>pointless
Tell me more about your glorious life and your sense of duty.

The difference is I don't have to chew grass and fuck coconuts while living my pointless life.

Also,
>sense of duty

Kek, more like brain damage. You'd have to be pretty dense to sit in your foxhole for that long and not go "Gee, I guess I should go see how the war's going"

I have you covered senpai
youtube.com/watch?v=KCUheInoaMY

Don't you understand the valor of the given word? I admit it's an extreme case, but that's what makes this man exceptional.

Franz Reichelt jumps off the Eiffel Tower

youtube.com/watch?v=FBN3xfGrx_U

>a nation you still had hope in

That guy measuring the depth of the impact...

Onoda and Suzuki became friends, but Onoda still refused to surrender, saying that he was waiting for orders from a superior officer. Suzuki returned to Japan with photographs of himself and Onoda as proof of their encounter, and the Japanese government located Onoda's commanding officer, Major Yoshimi Taniguchi, who had since become a bookseller. He flew to Lubang where on March 9, 1974, he finally met with Onoda and fulfilled the promise made in 1944, "Whatever happens, we'll come back for you," by issuing him the following orders:

1. In accordance with the Imperial command, the Fourteenth Area Army has ceased all combat activity.
2. In accordance with military Headquarters Command No. A-2003, the Special Squadron of Staff's Headquarters is relieved of all military duties.
3. Units and individuals under the command of Special Squadron are to cease military activities and operations immediately and place themselves under the command of the nearest superior officer. When no officer can be found, they are to communicate with the American or Philippine forces and follow their directives.

—Hiroo Onoda, Onoda 1999, pp. 13–14

Why does this make me so emotional when I read it?

youtube.com/watch?v=NmySW22PEM4&list=PLb4EHusFWWvAxQFnrbnAEDpHe5pMLl2YY&index=21

A farmer plays 'Yankee Doodle' with hand farts (1933).

youtube.com/watch?v=BS9GYuMw_5g&list=PLb4EHusFWWvAxQFnrbnAEDpHe5pMLl2YY&index=20

A Russian experiment preserving a severed dog's head (1940)

youtube.com/watch?v=26N1CtViXRs&list=PLb4EHusFWWvAxQFnrbnAEDpHe5pMLl2YY&index=17

Various footage of cats boxing, including a 1894 film.

youtube.com/watch?v=_8lDSM75UZM&list=PLb4EHusFWWvAxQFnrbnAEDpHe5pMLl2YY&index=15

Early animation and special effects (1900)

youtube.com/watch?v=H2RM497EtHs&list=PLb4EHusFWWvAxQFnrbnAEDpHe5pMLl2YY&index=10

A strange film wherein a humanoid pig sexually assaults a woman (1907)

youtube.com/watch?v=irO2WYd3bgg&list=PLb4EHusFWWvAxQFnrbnAEDpHe5pMLl2YY&index=9

An early film by legendary 'A Trip to the Moon' director Georges Méliès, featuring some rad early special effects (1901)

youtube.com/watch?v=R5i9k7s9X_A
Berlin in July, 1945, note the portraits of Stalin and the big 3.

youtube.com/watch?v=Es6f7K4c-y8
Berlin 1936 promotional reel.

youtube.com/watch?v=B-m9A8mY-U0
Berlin in 1900.

youtube.com/watch?v=cwr3mTlWdJY
Recently declassified A and H bomb test footage.

youtube.com/watch?v=1F_tIACDK_w
Nuclear weapons test and informational video compilation.

youtube.com/watch?v=pGZ6b758IrE
Aircraft munition malfunctions over the decades.
youtube.com/watch?v=gNNkRuSw_0Q
Not strictly historical but more missile malfunctions because they're neat.

youtube.com/watch?v=Jl5T2HU3v64
Graphic WW2 footage.

youtube.com/watch?v=GbDWnJ9oDVc
Memoirs of a Vietnam tunnel rat, heavy shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=Z2lejjKUbvM
Only surviving footage of a Hyper War ancient Finnish soldier.

What potential treasures have been lost to history while this survived?

Blunt Sword by Namakura Gatana, circa 1917. early or first japanese anime

youtube.com/watch?v=PTkcRxXWHkI

The Baby Cage

youtube.com/watch?v=NerS17sC0Bg