Ancient books you recommend

Currently reading the Art of War by Sun Tzu

Other urls found in this thread:

googleweblight.com/i?u=http://www.patheos.com/blogs/hindu2/2014/10/arthashastra-of-kautilya-by-r-shamasastry/&grqid=1TUMZlRq&hl=en-IN
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

older books are automatically better :)

Too many to list. What interests you?

Agreed. They appear to contain a more insightful and natural way of presenting things.

googleweblight.com/i?u=http://www.patheos.com/blogs/hindu2/2014/10/arthashastra-of-kautilya-by-r-shamasastry/&grqid=1TUMZlRq&hl=en-IN
Reading the one and only ARTHASHASTRA.
Better than the art of war in every way.

OP, listen to me. If it was written east of Ionia, and west of XiAn, don't read it. Commit it to the flames. All that is wrong in the world from that region.

Achmed pls go.
And I'll burn a quoran instead.

This piece of literature deals with government, warfare, intelligence collection, economy social engineering and lots more.

I found the Art of War to be pretty outdated for todays military insight, not taking into account industrial and material capabilities of a state, logistical problems of modern warfare the list goes on, perhaps it is more in line with philosophical literature.

Too bad, many militaries still read it. The grand strategic principle of PLA and PRC is also based on it.

>Too bad, many militaries still read it.

All militaries in the world have it as required reading because it's the essential book of military 101.
They also require reading on that other extremely famous Prussian book I have forgotten the name of for stuff that is more than skin-deep and details modern military wisdom.

>other extremely famous Prussian book
It''s called "Vom Kriege"(On War) wrote by Carl von Clausewitz during early 19th century. Looks like you don't really know what you're saying , I suggest you stop right now.

Dont get me wrong i liked the book i just thought that a lot of the stuff cant really be used in todays battlefield. Its more of a phylosophical work than a millitary guide but thats my opinion, based on nothing but subjective opinion on reading the book.

>not taking into account industrial and material capabilities of a state, logistical problems

That's hard to do without the concept of partial derivatives and dynamic programming. This is like criticizing the daodejing by saying "oh it's good but I wish they would write a corollary taking into account the possibilities afforded by string theory."

Bellifortis by Konrad Keyser
Strategmata by Frontinus
De Re Militari by Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus
Any of the fechtbucher of the German School of Fencing, look up Hans Talhoffer, Paulus Hector Mair, Sigmund Ringeck, Paulus Kal, etc. The earliest one is Royal Armouries Ms. I.33.

The Koran, and all the ancient hebrew mythological texts, originate east of Ionia. They definitely get burnt.

Just because officer corps do it doesn't make it inherently useful. Most pre-1910 military textbooks have little application to the modern battlefield, especially in large conflicts where things just escalate all the way up to nuclear bombs (a problem that will become larger as nuclear weapons naturally proliferate).

Art Of War sticks around because it's concepts are so broad it can apply to anything, even baking cookies. Which is also it's greatest weakness.

>why couldn't a work of literature written hundred's of years before the birth of christ have taken into account industry

that's like asking why your mother started having sex when she would end up with your retarded ass

You're a pleb, Arabian and Persian mythology is GOAT.

T. Ahmedinejad

No other book covers the human element of war like Art of War. No other warbook comes even close to being this comprehensible. The main "problem" is it doesn't cover how to make bombs, rockets, tanks, computers etc whatever technology is modern. However that is its strength as well, as it depends on dynamics of the war rather than the static features of the war.

The book's main lesson is "be dynamic."

>especially in large conflicts where things just escalate all the way up to nuclear bombs

Yeah because that happened so often....

I sware you muuh nuclear war faggots have no idea what MAD is and how well it works.