When the Titanic broke in half...

When the Titanic broke in half, why didn't anyone in the lifeboats feel a tidal wave from the stern as it smashed back down into the water? Surely thousands of tons of steel crashing into a calm ocean would've caused some sort of detectable disturbance that survivors would've felt. Also general Titanic/ steam technology thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D7q4OnnHGQ8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First of all - hydrodynamics. Second - the angle of breaking was less than 7 percent, even Cameron admitted he exaggerated it for cinematic effect as it was more than 45 percent in the movie

Interesting. How did hydrodynamics affect the stern end's descent into the water exactly?

There would have been waves for sure, but probably just large swells that one could ride up and down with, especially if you were in a lifeboat or whatever flotsam. With all the chaos going on, perhaps this just didn't stick in their memory.

The lifeboats were already a good distance from the ship by the time stern broke in two (the whole "get the hell out of here before masses of plebs in the water swamp us" thing).

Also this

I'm sure they were watching the ship (really what else are they going to be doing) and who but someone who has never been in a bathtub is not going to expect some small waves?

Who here is looking forward to the 2018/2019 game "Titanic Honor and Glory"?

Is it still being worked on?

I think so.
Fuck off mods, I am not spamming.

My uncles third aunt twice removed cousin died on the Titanic in the third class as a butler for one of the custodians.

Can I have reps?

Me. Also hoping they sue the multiple recent developers who copied their models. The latest one of them was so stupid they literally used screenshots of the Honor&Glory demo as their model, not realizing that the Honor&Glory team puts in copyright traps in their demos now to catch people who copy them.

I wasn't aware of that. What happened exactly? Who are these developers? Are they well known or were they obscure companies?

If only we allowed those noble savages to continue murdering thousands of people on altars so that the sun would continue rising in the sky.

Fucking whitey

Black people did Titanic

>blacks don't know how to swim
>titanic sunk at middle of an ocean

Something about your claims don't add, mr. {{{iceberg}}}.

>allah akbars don't know how to fly
>9/11 air plane crashed in air

Somehow 9/11 is a inside job.

>start a thread asking a reasonable question about a historical event

>it turns to Jew bashing

I don't know what I expected.

Anyway here's a few fun facts and a rare photo of titanic being fitted out. You can see in the top left where she's being fitted out, she only had three funnels. The fourth was a funny for aesthetic reasons.

Back in the early 20th century boats with three or more funnels were considered safer and more luxurious by the general public. So white star added a fourth "dummy funnel" to the titanic Olympic and Britannic as a way of making them appear more powerful and attractive to potential passengers.

Might as well start dumping my ship folder.

Model of the Rms Lusitania. Launched in 1907 she was at one time the largest and fastest ship in the world before her sister ship, Mauretania entered service. Sank in ww1 when she was apparently hit by a u-boat's propeller, with a massive loss of life of more than 1000 passengers off the coast of Ireland.

You can notice the evolution in ship design between generations of steam liner with the Lusitania and the next photo I'm going to post

1.) Here, the lusitania's main visual feature is the hull. There is a superstructure but it is small, barely rising above the ship's black hull. This was because in the early 1900's the safest part of a ship was considered to be the hull, as superstructures were relatively recent additions to ocean going liners and were usually more exposed to the elements. However this contrasts with later ships.

...such as the SS Queen of Bermuda. The Queen of Bermuda was a luxury liner made that entered service in the 1930's making runs from New York to Bermuda before ending her career in the early 1960's. Here you can see how the structure of the ship differs from that of early passenger liners like the Lusitania, with a higher superstructure, a sleeker hull design and less emphasis based on funnel design, with less than four funnels, shorter stacks and greater spacing between them to allow for better interior design.

The reasoning behind these changes was due to a shift in focus with passenger ships. As time went on, ocean travel became less attractive to travelers who found the recent introduction of passenger airlines to more suited to their needs. A trip from New York to London on a ship would take a week whereas air travel offered that in less than a day. Subsequently passenger liners became more focused on providing a luxury vacation experience to customers and the Queen of Bermuda is evident of that. The ship is designed with comfort and luxury in mind rather than making a hasty journey as the Lusitania was made to do.

Here's a better pic

The Jews sank Titanic. That is literally an objective historical fact.

t. Ice(((berg)))

Reminder that the current holder of the Blue Riband is American

>The fourth was a funny
A dummy. Fuck, my bad.

Fuckin /pol/tards get off my board reeeee

I can hear the scraping

Oh fuck yeah. Will need new a computer tho.

Yes. In their latest round of podcasts they mentioned one of their guys had just came from a meeting about getting financial support from a company so

More than one developer has done it (that "Escape the Titanic sinking simulation" for instance) but this is the first developer who has stolen the models from their latest demo, Demo 3, which contained the "traps." The traps are various objects and/or historical inaccuracies which the Honor & Glory developers put into the demo so that they could catch people who copied. In other words, things that wouldn't be on Titanic's plans and other historical research photos or documents.

Not a big name developer, it's from a company called Unimersiv. They got a bunch of Youtube views for a trailer and teaser for "their" Titanic experience. The developers for the game deleted comments on the Youtube videos and claimed they didn't copy but when you have specific objects that shouldn't be there...there. Yeah.

>that one officer who kind of looked like Neville Longbottom

He died a cold watery death.

>ywn walk down the Grand Staircase

end me.

I've never seen a single source say anything that low, most models give something closer to 20 degrees.

I thought its PS4 compatible as well. That's what I thought at least. Anyway its going to be great. They had prominent historians and researchers for this game, I don't see how they can fuck this up.
Is this at all related to the "Fall of the Titanic" game that was like on Steam but it was a fucking piece of shit game that looked rushed? Because I have no idea who these developers are but hopefully they'll get to the bottom of punishing those who did that.

>I've never seen a single source say anything that low,

Not as low as 7% but Roger Long, a naval architect who went on multiple expeditions to the wreck with James Cameron, believed that 11 to 15 degrees was the most probable angle. He bases his findings on examinations of the wreck's steel.

youtube.com/watch?v=D7q4OnnHGQ8

Who says they didn't?