Romans and modern Italy

Are Italians really Romans?

They are the closest to actual Romans...
Language and culturewise, and even genetically...

were Romans like North Italians or South?

Romans were black

More like Tuscans and central Italians.
Anyway, the north wasn't originally Roman, exactly as the south, both north and south however were 100 percent Romanized by the fall of the republic.

It is most certain that the Roman populace and elite had nothing to do with Northern europeans during the Republican period..

I am Italian, and my eye colour is exactly the same as what the Romans callede"caeruleus"...
My family comes, for the most part, from the Emilia-Romagna region, just north od central Italy. There good number of people I've met have fair eyes, although almost none are blonde.

Yes and no, if we're discussing the Western Roman Empire, the ostrogoths ended up taking the Western Roman cities (Italy) and formed the ostrogothic kingdom which we know today as Italy

They are not Romans, since the Roman Empire ended over 1500 years ago. But their ancestors were Romans.

Central Italians. Southern Italy is historically Greek.

He's not saying that. He's saying that they were Northern Italian. There is a difference between Northern Italians and Southern Italians.
Also, yes. They are the closest thing.

In this table, the "golden haired" voice, is VERY misleading.
Italic light brown hair has a tendency to become far lighter when exposed to a good amount of sunlight.
Grey and white bearded emperors were just simply more or less dark brown haired, Italians have got a very prevalent tendency of losing hair colour and hair very early, maybe even as early as their 30ies.
I do not exclude that some emperor might have been actually blonde, but as for northern Italians, even prior to the fall of the empire, most people were of celtic descendance, with some people being actually blonde...

I just supposed he was talking about some connection with Northern Euros, since that table is very often posted as some kind of autistic proof of Romans being germanic...
Anyway, definitely i would say, most EMPERORS would have been of central or nothern italian background.

The Ostrogoths had almost no impact on the genetic point of view in Italy. Only the elite was actually Ostrogothic.
Same thing for the Lombards and the Normans, altought the Normans left some traces of their genes in southern Italy, especially in Sicily, Basilicata, Abruzzo and Campania.
I'd say that germanic genes are actually pretty rare even in northern Italy, although a good number of people is blonde.
I live in Milan btw...

South Italians have nothing to do with Romans. They're literally Arab-like creatures with ball-heads.

Pic related, Shitalian youtuber Metatron larping as Romans.

South Italians have got a VERY small influence of BEDOUIN(non fucking Arabic) genes. The biggest influence they have in their DNA is actually greek.

Even Arabs and Brits could become Roman, your question doesn't make much sense.

If you're asking whether they were the urnfield derived people who founded the settlement of Rome around 750 bc then we don't know since they cremated their dead, but it's likely the central Italians are the closest people alive to those prehistoric people.

Southern Italians have relatively recent Middle-Eastern admixture from the copper age to iron age whereas most of Europe received Middle-Eastern admixture from the neolithic time, quite different groups although I agree that calling this "Arab" is nonsense as the brief Sicilian muslim era most likely had little influence in their genetics.

Ok, this argument makes more sense.
I'd agree that by the time rome was a kingdom, the indigenous population of southern Italy and Sicily was definitely swarthier.
Apart from this, the Greek quickly sobstituted almost completely the early southern Italic population, especially along the shorelines, and i would say not by mixing with them, but by killing them.

>Apart from this, the Greek quickly sobstituted almost completely the early southern Italic population

No.

>but by killing them.

No

well, disprove it then.
Souther italics never even actually populated the shorelines of southern Italy and Sicily. they were arguably a sparse and small population, surely smaller than their samnitica counterparts, since they were almost no match for the greek colonizers.
As of today, a small part of southern Italian genes is actually middle eastern. It would only make sense.

>well, disprove it then.

You should prove such a thing, bronze age Sicilian samples from 1700 bc clustered where they are now, that's 1000 years before Greek colonization

>Souther italics never even actually populated the shorelines of southern Italy and Sicily

Wrong again, they had some relatively advanced settlements, Thapsos, Punta Zambrone, Lipari, and many others along the Apulian coasts, they were a war like people who were employed by Mycenean Greeks as mercenaries during the late bronze age, I doubt that the archaic Greek from the 8th and 7th century bc could replace them, considering they didn't have organized armies like the oplites of the Classical period.

> since they were almost no match for the greek colonizers.

Or they simply adapted to Greek culture which was relatively more advanced, but not so much in the militaristic department

From the image/statue, Southern. They're darker tone and their facials are more Roman like.

>tfw no Romanfu with qt feet in sandals

go back to Veeky Forums

>Veeky Forums
>not Veeky Forums
retard or retarded?

>knew an italian girl
>said family was from somewhere in Northern Italy
>Sandy haired, grey eyed and tall, gorgeous overall
>mfw her brothers literally looked like one of those busts of Roman Emperors

I'm gonna go on a limb and say Northern Italians are the closest thing to Romans we have today

Lol,do you think germanics tribes consisted of 1000 people?

Vandals alone were 100,000-200,000, its a fact that other germanics tribe were huge too

They killed and raped, there they exterminate Romans forever

How can you be so stupid?

You only say that to bring that ancient italians were pale people with light features

They werent, stop being retarded

No after germanic invasion
And arabs never settled in the mainland

How germanics can say thay ancient latins were like them?

Why they do this?

Shut the fuck up

Germanic posters never cease to amaze in their ignorance.

No.

Is this what ancient Romans looked like?

This is all the evidence we ever needed. Cancel all genetic studies on Romans.

t. sh*Talian tErrone

Sir, this IS Veeky Forums

>Italy
No such thing

>Marcus Aurelius
>Wine Coloured Eyes

was this Pasta nigger the devil?

Immobile isn't even Northern Italian. He's from Naples.

In some ancient Greek poetry/literature there was reference to the "wine-colored sea", maybe this is something similar.

>BEDOUIN(non fucking Arabic)
What ?

Yet, he doesn't look like

ITT

3 of those 'Northern Italians' are actually from the South.

Neck yourself.

yes

I think he meant Berber and fuxed up