Daily reminder that it were the English who had a reputation of being cowards and surrenderers for over a thousand...

Daily reminder that it were the English who had a reputation of being cowards and surrenderers for over a thousand years. The rise of internet (which is dominated by the English language) gave the English the opportunity to push the coward's-crown into the hands of the French by using ill-informed historic revisionism and cherry picking about WW2.

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/comment/telegraph-view/3592078/France-will-be-punished.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bugs...

Bugs... easy on the shitposting

Quit encouraging this faggot
He ruined my thread

*blocks your path*

OP... your thread had already been dead for several hours. Bugs gave you a free bump with his plump ass

OP... easy on the terrible threads

>bugsposter saved us from another "this nationality is shit" thread
Thank you based bugsposter

You're quite welcome

> the English who had a reputation of being cowards and surrenderers for over a thousand years.

Gee, I wonder what happened to the English a thousand years ago...

no, ww2 did

BASED

the carrots, brother...

that's an american meme, they don't know any history beyond george washington, vietnam war and ww2

>The rise of internet (which is dominated by the English language) gave the English the opportunity to push the coward's-crown into the hands of the French by using ill-informed historic revisionism and cherry picking about WW2.

It didnt happen that way, faggot
Current Brits are irrelevant as fuck and barely have any influence left
It's Americans who dominate, and it's them who invented the French surrender meme (and not as a revenge for the French-British rivalry but as a punishment for France's behavior toward the Iraq War)
Brits of course indulge in this meme as well, rather as American fanboys than as instigators

Lmao, that's like the only war in which Brits really fought

Nah, the surrender meme was already widespread long before the Iraq War.

this. I vaguely remember that this whole meme was started around 2007 or so, by the whole "did you mean french military defeats" thing that google did if you searched for french military victories that redirected you to a GOP-funded website which just full on lied about France's performance since the Gauls. It was called frenchmilitarydefeats.com or something, pretty sure it's been down for a decade or so now.
Along with that you had the whole freedom fries memes, south park making fun of them and so on, so it pretty quickly took hold.
All of this because France refused to be an US lapdog in Iraq.

Wrong
It was existing but very obscure

>I vaguely remember that this whole meme was started around 2007

Nah, it started right in 2003 when the US government launched its anti-French campaign (which worked fine as you can see on pic related)
It was still very active by 2007 tho
French hate remained a thing until like 2012

yeah ofc, was a bit to young to remember 2003 desu, just remember finding out about the meme around 2007

>that redirected you to a GOP-funded website which just full on lied about France's performance since the Gauls. It was called frenchmilitarydefeats.com or something

This website was just so dishonest
Off the top of my head, I remember it implying that the Italian Wars were fought against Italians (rather than against Spaniards and Germans) and that the French Revolutionary Wars (pic related) were won solely because "only fought against other French"

Is he getting bigger?

This is correct, I remember. My English wasn't so good as a kid but I used to browse the internet a lot back then and stumbled upon it.

In 2002-2003, France and Germany not only declined sending troops to Iraq but refused to sanction the invasion on the UN Security Council, which caused the ire of the Bush government and a ridiculous propaganda campaign ("Freedom fries", that propaganda GOP-funded website about the French defeats, and digging up the old feud with DeGaulle as proof the French were somehow "ungrateful")

Of course, the cherry on the ice cream was placed by a Simpsons episode where Groundskeeper Willie calls French people "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" which in terms of memes did more for the anti-French Bush propaganda campaign than all the millions spent on it.

All in all a very weird historical episode and a pointless expenditure of money to piss off one of the oldest allies of the US.

Hilarous to think Americans had the guts to call France "ungrateful" for not obeying them 60 years after WW2 when that thing named the "Quasi-War" exists

Imagine samefagging a reply to your own fucking OP
Get medical help you French faggot

I'm not OP though
OP is a cretin who think everything bad in this world was caused by Brits

He is only half right. Everything bad in the world was caused by Anglo's.

Yeah very good point.

I also found it very weird that the propaganda campaign originally was against France AND Germany but then the whole Germany part of it was swept under the rug while they focused on trolling the French. It almost took a life of its own.

>It was existing but very obscure

Complete bollocks. It's been a running gag since WW2, deserved or not.

>implying OP is wrong

"Punish France, ignore Germany, forgive Russia"

That's what Condoleezza Rice openly stated

telegraph.co.uk/comment/telegraph-view/3592078/France-will-be-punished.html

I'm a 37 year old American and I can assure you I never heard this joke until the 2003 French bashing
It may have existed, but it wasn't nearly as popular as it is now, nor did it pop to everyone's mind when French history was mentioned, unlike nowdays

>nor did it pop to everyone's mind when French history was mentioned, unlike nowdays

Yes it did.

>largest empire in human history
>cowards and surrenderers

>who had a reputation of being cowards and surrenderers

They still have it

Yeah, because machine-gunning niggers is so brave....

Funny, because literally every empire on that picture did the same thing, José.

How about machine-gunning Krauts out of the sky, Hans?

Yes but as a side note compared to what they accomplished in Europe
Meanwhile for Britain, it's their greatest achievement

Would love to see any of the autists on this board fight at Rorke's Drift and say it didn't require bravery

Want to compare Rork's Drift to taking over Europe, faglet?

Oh deary me, I forgot how both France and Germany chimped out for a few years then both got BTFO by coalitions including Britain. How impressive.

>taking over the most advanced continent of the world and holding it for years before being defeated by huge alliances of the most powerful countries isnt impressive
>but repulsing a tribe of spear-wielding niggers is

FREEDOM FRIES

I'd rather fight at Rork's Drift than at Stalingrad or Borodino if you know what I mean

As scary as seeing a large group of hunter-gatherers with sticks charging at you may be, I'd still think it's safer than a shitshow of artillery and snipers

You're talking about Europe as being the most advanced during those time periods, but I think you mean the Middle East, outside of Nazi Germany

>Middle East
>relevant past the 16th century

>implying other European empires didn't spend huge resources on also 'repulsing a tribe of spear-wielding niggers'

Britain was on the winning side of the The Great Northern War, the War of the Spanish Succession, the War of the Quadruple Alliance, the Seven Years' War, the 4th Anglo-Mysore War (which involved the French on the opposing side), the Conquest of French Guiana, the Crimean War, the Estonian and Lativian Wars of Independence, the War of the Sixth Coalition, the Hundred Days, the Peninsular War, the Second Egyptian-Ottoman War, World War I and World War II.

All of these involved European powers opposing Britain and losing. Britain never had any interest in taking over all of Europe because it wasn't well-placed to do so (i.e. it's not a large continental country), and it was more suited to maintaining the European balance of power. Ultimately Britain's actions in the past have resulted in us arguing about its legacy in English - quite ironic, wouldn't you say?

>Britain was on the winning side of the The Great Northern War, the War of the Spanish Succession, the War of the Quadruple Alliance, the Seven Years' War, the 4th Anglo-Mysore War (which involved the French on the opposing side), the Conquest of French Guiana, the Crimean War, the Estonian and Lativian Wars of Independence, the War of the Sixth Coalition, the Hundred Days, the Peninsular War, the Second Egyptian-Ottoman War, World War I and World War II.
Britain was on the most numerous side of basically every european war it took part in
Lost some, "won" some....but never fought alone

>All of these involved European powers opposing Britain and losing.
No, they mostly involved one European country (either Spain, France, Russia or Germany) opposong a big alliance which Britain happened to have joined, and losing

>Ultimately Britain's actions in the past have resulted in us arguing about its legacy in English - quite ironic, wouldn't you say?

Britain losing a war to France and Spain in 1783 caused the existence of the country responsible for us conversing in English

>Britain was on the most numerous side of basically every european war it took part in
>Lost some, "won" some....but never fought alone

>choosing your alliances well makes you weak, the post

Britain always had a significantly lower population than France or Germany until relatively recently (in 1800 its population was 10.5 million vs the French Republic's 44.5 million). It was never going to be possible for it to take on Europe alone like France did - but at the end of the day Napoleon still begged the British king for asylum before he was shipped to the South Atlantic by a Royal Navy ship and died on a British island. Top kek

>Britain losing a war to France and Spain in 1783 caused the existence of the country responsible for us conversing in English

Oh right, the largest empire in history exporting English around the world for 150 years has literally nothing to do with the ease with which the US has been able to conduct business abroad.

You'll also note that the US is fundamentally an Anglo country.

>It was never going to be possible for it to take on Europe alone
We're not even talking about defeating Europe. Britain was simply unable to defeat a single european power alone. Not that there is anything bad with that, the British knew that and played their cards well.

>Britain never had any interest in taking over all of Europe

the most delusional shit I've ever read here. You shame the Poles, Nigel

Anybody with any historical knowledge knows that the French were quite competent fighters up until Frano-Prussia.

inb4 "Napoleon wasn't French"

lmao

People often try this line of reasoning to discredit the British empire as an accomplishment, but fail to understand that they had to hold this empire against rival colonial powers.

What rival powers?
By the time Britain built its empire (between 1840 and 1890), France had destroyed Spain and Russia had destroyed France
The only kinda strong European powers left were Russia and later Prussia, but they had no navy to speak of