At what point in human history did people start sucking at art?

At what point in human history did people start sucking at art?
why isn't there any modern artist who can paint as good as Leonardo da Vinci or sculpt as good as Praxiteles?

Other urls found in this thread:

oilportraits.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Many can technically but are devoid of ideas. People will laugh at you if you paint some biblical shit.

oilportraits.com/
here you Huxleyan degenerate, go watch the nice looking paintings : ) and be sure to never try thinking, it may hurt!!!

Too much distractions.
I could paint just as well as da Vinci and Michelangelo if I lived in a world without television, smartphones and internet.

Here's a fun thought: Will art improve once AI becomes a serious competitor? Are we going to see 'Painting #894352' by 'Painting Algorithm #6305' displayed in the Louvre?

>At what point in human history did people start sucking at art?
When the old hereditary nobility lost their wealth/power.

>why isn't there any modern artist who can paint as good as Leonardo da Vinci or sculpt as good as Praxiteles?
Because the patronage system was the only thing that made devoting that much effort to a work of art financially viable for artists. Virtually all of the great works of classical art were commissioned in advance by wealthy aristocrats. Now, most works of modern art are produced on spec and the artist has to try to sell them on the open market later, meaning artists are incentivized to create large numbers of pieces as quickly and cheaply as possible to cover the losses of pieces that don't sell.

>why isn't there any modern artist who can paint as good as Leonardo da Vinci

Because photography was invented

How about billionaires in today's world. Why arent they patronizing artists?

There are many people who can paint that well nowadays, but their works don't end up in museums because art critics have become an absolute joke.

They are. They go for more abstract pieces.

>Implying bible fanfics are good art

Why are you talking about something you know nothing about? Do looking like a retard turn you on or something?

If you were actually interested enough in art to search for a few minutes you'd be able to find something that appeals to your sensibilities. That would ruin your narrative though, and that's all you find interesting, simply moaning about society today.

1. If anything, many people have gotten better at art. You speak of da vinci as if he represents the entire population. It is an understatement to say he doesn't. You can google "art" and find thousands of pictures from various modern people who have painted pictures way better than what da vinci can achieve. I mean, fuck, just consider how much artwork Magic the Gathering churns out yearly.

2. The art that is better than da vinci nowadays doesn't get any fame because of a few things:

2a. Photography exists so hyperrealism, while impressive, isn't exactly needed in today's society.

2b. Because of 2a, many artists have taken to impressionist and surrealist art forms. It isn't about depicting reality as perfectly as possible. Photography exists, which can depict reality perfectly. It is about depicting reality how they see it. A more personable viewpoint.

2c. The art community -- their academics and criticism -- is such a fucking joke. Museums probably wouldn't put your art work in a gallery if it was anything similar to da vinci because it is "boring" to them, missing that personable and impressionist vision so many faggots value.

2d. Da Vinci was paid by the richest people to ever exist to basically paint the same picture for 2 years straight. Most people nowadays don't have that sort of patronage. Modern society is so fast. We put quantity and timely delivery above quality and dedication. Fortunately, with programs like photoshop, quick (and good) art work is quite possible.

3. Fuck off.

OP, do you really like this? And not you look at it and think "wow what a pretty picture this is real art better than that crap today," I mean do you REALLY like it? Does it have a profound effect on you? Does it make you laugh, cry? Chances are probably not and you're a fucking philistine whose definition of good art is based on how real it looks because your autistic mind is incapable of grasping non-STEM abstract concepts.

>photorealism
yuck

you have to have photographs to create photorealism that kinda the point of the genre

>nb4 /ic/

>you have to have photographs to create photorealism that kinda the point of the genre
that's why i don't like it

>people started sucking at art
lol

Man in Beret, by Picasso aged 14

>It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child.
Pablo Picasso

Realism, romanticism and many other styles are still alive but they won't end up in museums for the various reasons already here

When art became abstract leaving nothing to history. Shits like Marina Abramovich does.

there's plenty of highly skilled artists, the problem is that the mainstream doesnt care about them. You dont see much advertising for classical or clasically painted art. pop culture and modern art have the spotlight.

We both know you don't give a shit about art OP, you just want to whine about Cultural Marxism and Jews destroying Western culture.

Meanwhile, there's plenty of good art out there if you actually cared enough to look.

can someone learn to paint by reading PDF books?

give him a little credit user, there's plenty of people that just dont like modern and abstract art and want classicism to make a come-back.

No, but you probably can find tips and ideas in them if you are unsure about how to do something while painting.

you can learn about theory and techniques from books but if you actually want to learn how to paint you have to actually do it.
ask /ic/ for more info

And those people rarely understand art. Wanting classicism to make a comeback is like wanting absolute monarchies to make a comeback. It's fine if you do, but don't expect anyone to take you seriously, and don't act like it's axiomatically superior just because it's old and "traditional".

>people who don't like what I like don't know anything

Talk about not understanding art.

Art isn't about "what you like".

Art isn't chocolate ice cream.

What's wrong with absolute monarchies? Thry still exist in Saudi Arabia and Brunei and function well.

as an artist, lol.

>Wanting classicism to make a comeback is like wanting absolute monarchies to make a comeback
a great idea supported by every philoopher and theologian of note? On another note, critiquing art itself has turned into icnoclasm which is retarded

>Art isn't chocolate ice cream.
cuisine can be art, you hack

I'm not sure the Al-Saud's faustian pact with Wahhabism and the pretty shaky state of an economy entirely dependent on oil makes them an example of a monarchy that's functioning well.

i absolutely love renaissance art. so detailed and beautiful.

Literally WHAT is the point of art if it isn't pleasing or meaningful? It has to at least be pleasing to its creator, and the only objective measure of its quality is how much effort went into it.

An average 25 year old artist today with any sort of pedigree could make exact replicas of all renaissance art. The point isn't the beauty or detail, its that they were made during the renaissance. That's all that impresses people.

If the same art was being made today depicting modern life it would sell for $100 a piece on the roadside in NY.

OP BTFO

this, and I don't know why it's such a hard concept

An average 25 year old musician today with any sort of pedigree could make exact replicas of all classical musical pieces. The point isn't the beauty or detail, its that they were made during the classical age. That's all that impresses people.

If the same piece of music was being made today influenced by modern pop it would sell for $5 a piece on the roadside in NY.

Reddit: the post

Not the same thing. But if we're talking technical proficiency then yes I agree. Counterpoint at the same level as the art of fugue could be written by a lot of musicians today. It may not be as good but the technical aspect isn't beyond reach.

People who can paint like Leonardo still exist today. They just don't get as much spotlight because that shit was already done 500 years ago. You gotta do different if you wanna get noticed.

When it comes to modern art - sure