How legit is the "Muslim nations in Spain were super tolerant and shit" meme?

How legit is the "Muslim nations in Spain were super tolerant and shit" meme?
Also, general Al-andalus thread

Even experts on the period are starting to question it.

"Depends of the setting."

There were pretty tolerant compared to other jurisdictions in their own time period.

But SJWs kidnap that and act like Al-Andalus was some sort of multicultural, liberal SJW-Utopia. It wasn't. "Pretty tolerant for their age" primarily means not getting killed for praying to the wrong god.

Well Isis follows the exact same laws so take a look and see for yourself.

>Muslim nations in Spain were super toleran

Literally nobody has ever said that, but in Muslim Spain Christians and Jews were allowed to practice their religion if they paid a special tax, something that Muslims and Jews couldn't for a long time in Catholic Spain. So Al-Andalus certainly was tolerant in comparison with what replaced it.

Al-Andalus was literally multicultural, although it certainly wasn't liberal

>Literally nobody has ever said that
Have you never heard the faggots prancing Al-Andalus around as some shining beacon of Technology,culture and tolerance before?

No it doesn't. You were allowed to be a Shia in al-Andalus, for example.

Considering I never heard of it until I got on Veeky Forums I'd say you need to pay attention in class.
Jizya tax wasn't unique to Al-Andalus by any means, the ottomans especially made great use of it.

It was pretty advanced and comparatively tolerant for its time, but nobody has ever said that it was super-tolerant liberal paradise.

>have you never heard (under historical misconception parroted for a political point here)?
I'm genuinely intelligent enough to not be bothered by it.

This, they were tolerant in an age of intolerance but mixed marriages were prohibited, infidels had to pay special taxes, the biggest churches were transformed in mosque etc...
It's far from the poster child of tolerance.

I learned in school that Spain was super peaceful under Muslim rule and only the KKKrusaders did something bad and expelled the innocent muslims and jews.

This is why white people are evil and need to be subjugated by Islam.

In Al-Andalus Cordoba was the third most important city in the western hemisphere, next to only Constantinople and Baghdad. Turned to proper shit once the Christians conquered it back.

Poltards are triggered, but Spain was literally better off under muslim rule.

It was multicultiral just like Jim Crow era America was
Aka had different ethnicities and cultures coexisting, but not with the same rights

This. Its time for white people to shut up and let themselves get conquered by Muslims

The meme is actually a relatively factual statement, applied to the wrong location and wrong time period. It was relatively true of the period prior to Seljuk takeover in the Levant, though still extremely brief and limited, also not at all what one would class as "tolerant" in the modern sense.

You also weren't allowed to ride a horse and had to dress a certain way.

Well, compared to christian rule that is. But christian rule got properly BTFO by europeans themselves. The ranking goes as follows:

Secularism > Sharia > tribal law > gypsie law > anarchism > rules of rats living in the canalisation > ... > christian rule

>being the third most important city in Europe when there are maybe a total of 10 important cities in the entirety
The reality isn't nearly as impressive as your fantasy, they were unique because they were the furthest west while from Italy to Baghdad the actual gems of the world rested.

No, Al-Andalus literally became synonoymous to "science" and "philosophy" within the muslim world, much like greece was synonymous to that within the roman empire. Averroes, argueably the greatest muslim thinker, was from Cordoba.

>Al-Andalus
>Not Baghdad

The Almohads weren't tolerant at all. There's good evidence that that many of the methods of the Reconquista (deportation and whatnot) practiced by the Christians were simply copied from the Almohads.

>something that Muslims and Jews couldn't for a long time in Catholic Spain.
Of course they could bro.
Not always, but during some times, of course the ycould.

Baghdad was Oxford, Cordoba was Harvard.

>force christians to pay jizya so that economy grows strong
>"we wuz tolerant n shieet"

A book about this came out a while ago

>How legit is the "Muslim nations in Spain were super tolerant and shit" meme?
Not legit at all. What people actually mean is the Caliphate of Cordoba, that fostered an intellectual curiosity by a relatively tolerant governance compared to other civilisations at the time.
However, some were the complete opposite. The Almohad Caliphate for instance, embarked on a system of brutal persecution against Christians and Jews.
Basically, Al-Andalus is not a single political entity, it's a region of numerous Muslim caliphates and taifas (kingdoms) over a long period of history that had a wide variety in how they ran themselves.

The first few centuries of Islam were pretty bro-tier for their day. Muslim Spain was tolerant for its time (compares to much of Christian Europe at the time) but not the utopia that liberals imagine.

Islam is the only thing that can save the white race from extinction.

What.
No, al Andalus -wanted- to become that and could be argued to be well on its way, but nowhere except Andalusian documents is it suggested that they were that important
Also
>oxford vs Harvard
One is the oldest university in the world and well respected while the other is one of the top schools in the most powerful country in the world, they're important for different reasons

>not being an Islamist white nationalist

>There were pretty tolerant compared to other jurisdictions in their own time period.
It depends.Again it is a period that lasted over 800 years with almost a hundred different political entities existing during that period of time.For example all the jews moved to Castile because they got expelled by the almoravids and the biggest jewish communities in Spain were in traditional christian towns like Segovia or Toledo.

>something that Muslims and Jews couldn't for a long time in Catholic Spain
Jews were expelled by the almoravids and they moved to Castile in which they were allowed to practice their religion without paying an extra tax.Spain was not even a country in that time period.

>Al-Andalus
It didn't exist.This term causes so much confusion that people have created a meme image over it.You had almost 100 different political entities in tht geographical region.Putting a name of it just creates confusion and a bunch of retards just start generalizing

Cordoba decayed into a meme city once the caliphate collapsed.Seville became the most important muslim city after that.

The magnificent county of Castille
>Ruled by a brave and honorable man that understood the strugles of its people
>Land of freeman.Every one was a noble and had equal rights to any other Castillian
>People were allowed to chose their local rulers and representatives
>Comunal lands.People could work the land and take all that they sowed for themselves
>Manly men that understood the strugles of life and the importance of defending their land
>Great cultural output that still studied to this very day
>Great food and wine that is still renowned world wide.
>Land blessed by God itself.Saint Millan and Saint James defended the land from any invasion
The horrendous caliphate of Cordoba
>Ruled by a homosexual ginger twink that only cared about getting buttfucked and wine
>Oppressed people
>Land splitted between families that ruled as small kingdoms
>Effeminate and weak men that never suffered any struggle in life and would refuse to defend their land because it was not as pleasurable as getting buttfucked
>Meme cultural output that was fastly forgotten after the meme calipahte collapsed in 80 years
>Shitty food inspired by arabs
>Praised a fake God which caused its collapse

Ruined lie the Moorish cities,
Still the Moors upraise the sword;
In the country still resisting,
Reigns the pestilence as lord.

And the towers of Alpujara
Brave Almanzor still defends:
Floats below the Spaniard's banner,
Siege to-morrow he intends.

Roar the guns at sunrise loudly,
Ramparts break, and crumble walls;
From the towers the cross gleams proudly,—
Now the Spaniard owns these halls.

Sad Almanzor views his warriors
Slain in battle desperate;
Hews his way through swords and lances,
Flieth Spain's pursuing hate.

Now the Spaniards in the fortress,
'Mid the stones and corpses there,
Hold the feast and drain the wine-cup,
And the spoils and captives share.

Soon the guard, without announces
That a stranger knight doth wait,
Craving for a swift admittance,
Bringing tidings of great weight.

'Twas the vanquished Moor Almanzor.
Swift his mantle off was thrown;
To the Spaniards he surrenders,
And he craves for life alone.

"I am come, ye Christian warriors.
To submit me to your power;
I will serve the God of Christians,
Own your prophet from this hour.

"Let the blast of fame, world-filling.
Say, the Arab chief o'erthrown
Would be brother to his victors,
Vassal of a stranger's crown."

Well the Spaniard prizes valour.
So the great Almanzor knowing.
They embraced him, circled round him.
As their true companion showing.

Each one then Almanzor greeted.
And their captain close embraced:
Hung upon his neck, and kissed him;
Such true love their friendship graced.

All at once his strength grew feebler,
And he fell upon the ground;
But he drew the Spaniard with him,
To his feet the turban bound.

All with wonder looked upon him,
And his livid visage scan;
Horrid smiles deformed his features,
And with blood his eyes overran.

"Christian dogs," he cries, "look on me,
If you understand this thing;
I deceived you, from Granada
Come I, and the plague I bring.

"For my kiss breathed venom in ye.
And the plague shall lay you low;
Come and look upon my tortures—
Ye such death must undergo."

Wide he cast his eyes around him.
As he would eternally
Chain all Spaniards to his bosom;
And a horrid laugh laughed he.
Laughed, and died; his eyes yet open,
Open yet his lips remained;
In that hellish smile for ever
Those cold features still were strained.

Fled the Spaniards from the city.
But the plague their steps pursuing,
Ere they left doomed Alpujara,
Was that gallant host's undoing.

"Literally nobody ever said that"
My spanish teacher literally said that