How were medieval European cities designed...

How were medieval European cities designed? What facilities would be on what streets and what would be in the center of town? Where would the castle go? I'm trying to build a city in minecraft.

Are you for serious?

Basically, the entire design was like there's an empty space, if you can build your house there and protect it, then you could claim it as yours. Well, that's how the earlier towns were build, and I mean ancient civilisations that eventually evolved into relatively large cities.

Nobody sit down in a table with a blue scroll planning the best place to build this or that. The cities just... "grow" in their shape as time went by.

>Basically, the entire design was like there's an empty space, if you can build your house there and protect it, then you could claim it as yours.
This is pure bullshit. You could buy a plot from the king. You didn't just take an empty spot and fended of invaders like some sort of hobo unless you literally lived out in the woods away from civilization.

>You could buy a plot from the king
lol

This is what capitalists actually believe

Towns and Cities would spring up along trade routes, preferably near water.
Rivers/coasts provide easy transportation, fishing, and there would generally be arable land or forests with game nearby.

Church in the center, near a steam, no planification, sometimes walls and castle.

SHITTING STREETS FOR EVERYONE

Rhodes isn't a typical medieval city though.

Rhodes is aesthetic as fuck though, which is what matter most if you're making a city in minecraft.

Just make King's Landing then, who cares

A fire would burn through that in a day.

It did.

They weren't.

A lot of building over shit and trying to make do.

What medieval city would it burn through, though?

How do you make a medieval city fire resisitant?

Fires were a major threat to cities in the middle-ages. London got rekt'd badly in 798, 982 and 989. And thats a real city with actual city planning designed to minimize the threat.

King's Landing is some shit out of Empire Earth.

How was it designed to minimize the threat? What's the difference between London and king's Landing?

t. Urbanistically illiterate.

Why is the harbor outside the city walls?

That seemed to be quite common. Medieval illustrations show harbors outside of the city walls as well.

They were more grown then designed. Little central planning.

>Build a wall through a mile of water
>Build doors big enough for boats

Why would you want the harbour inside the city walls?

Harbours are valuable when they can easily be accessed, have lots of traffic coming and going to facilitate trade.

Walls are valuable when they can be locked up tighter than a nun's cunt, as well as filtering, policing, and taxing what comes into and out of the city.

They basically work in opposition to one another.

my town for an example:
>magdeburg town rights
>huge market square in the center
>town hall on the square
>church adjacent to the square
>blocks of houses (tenements) around the market, divided by streets going from center
>regular plan of the streets deformed by a main road going through an older settlement to the castle
>walls around it (green space nowadays)

The town centre would usually be a marketplace. The main streets would be ones that ran from the market place to other towns. The castle would usually be built on higher ground. Look at Edinburgh, particularly the area around the Grassmarket.

THICC

Speaking of which, does intcraft still exist? Is there something similar up and running now? Please, I need it.

Idiot

The king put up the walls, people built shanty towns along the walls and as their wealth determined they would upgrade into actual houses.

How does it feel to be ignorant and retarded?

Lisbon, Hamburg, Danzig, Marseilles, Genoa, and Venice all had the harbors inside.

And all of those towns relied heavily on maritime trade.

because the Targaryans never had a navy superior to the Iron Islands, Reach or Stormlands, so a rebellious fleet could easily sail directly into the city if the harbor were inside the walls

yes, and? that's kinda the point i was making

Mostly "Dude build shit further apart lmao"

Or at least have your squashed buildings in sections in the hope that if one section went up in flames it wouldn't spread to another section.

Plots were typically made along major roads running through the city.

Narrow but deep plots so as to maximize the amount of houses having streetside access. As time went on the backyards were filled with houses and alleys turning the center into a downtown area.

Where is Lutetia?

It's Paris, no idea what the writing on the side says

A fucking 2-story ladder with nobody holding it in place or any kind of safety in mind.

Labor codes are for post modern pussies

You're a dumbass.

Would a city ever have actually looked anywhere near this nice?

In winter the cold and snow might cover up the less pleasant aspects.

One thing that made cities in the Low Countries stand out was their cleanliness though, the people cleaned the streets regularly and in some places cattle and other livestock was not allowed as it would shit all over the place.

As for the rest i'd say the proportion of gable step masonry houses (I fucked up the term) to timber framed ones might be a tad high, but compare it to

and more

Thanks. Nice pictures btw.

and another one

The long white stripes along the banks of rivers might be drying linnen of the washerwoman

Pic related is 17th century Amsterdam so it aint medieval, I just like it.

the city walls were raised in response to pirates raiding big cities abroad (tall tree town I believe) and growing bolder. strategic planning since it was during aegon's the conqueror's reign I imagine.

last one for now.