Can Veeky Forums tell me about the history of this country? Or any good books I can read about it...

Can Veeky Forums tell me about the history of this country? Or any good books I can read about it? I know there's something to with Illyrians but not much more.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JmndxoF74qQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_of_Constantinople
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Krujë_(1450)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There was once a dude name Skandenberg or whatever, he was a great general that killed lots of turkroaches.

Everything before or since was the region being dominated by other nations/groups/empires

Agents of Empire by Noel Malcolm is a great book examining the Albanian Bruni family's fortunes across the Christo-Islamic divide from the late 13th-16th century. A great piece of scholarship and very readable.

It's certainly not the most relevant place in Europe when compared to Greece or Macedonia.

What is there to say about this place? It held it's importance mostly in the middle ages and probably saw it's most relevance during the Norman conquest of the Byzantine Empire. In multiple instances during the mid to late 11th century ad, we see this being an important bit of land for the Southern Italian Normans wishing to pave a way through Byzantine lands.

Some Albanians will actually claim a few things such as the invention of Pizza and wine, since the oldest records and archeological evidence is found of wine grapes in Albania. But this might be dated information.

Albania was also for some time part of the Venician coastal republic.

blew the fuck out of Maoism so hard that Mao died

youtube.com/watch?v=JmndxoF74qQ

Im wondering, is there any book that describes all the policies Hoxha implemented? Its actually quite impressive how he improved the average albanians life, excluding all the typical paranoia stuff.

They are left-overs of the Illyrians, like the Irish are left-over of the Celts.

Were one of the first peoples in Europe that became catholic.

Skanderbeg is an epic general that fought 100k turkroach armies with his army of 5-10k and beat them again and again.

After he died Turks finally conquered Albania, since Catholicism was outlawed in the ottoman empire, some Albanians fled to southern Italy (where Skanderbeg's family owned land) and live there to this day (see "Arberesh minority), some converted to Islam, and some converted to orthodox christianity.

Within ottoman empire they were fairly relevant actually, probably the single most influential people after the Turks. Lots of grand viziers, generals, artists, etc. were albanians.

During the end of the ottoman empire, some Albanians converted back to Catholicism, but most remained muslim or orthodox.

Gained independence in 1912, noteworthy is their very unreligious sense of nationality, muslims, orthodox and catholics live peacefully with each other.

Then Hoxha happened, a paranoid isolationist Stalinist, turned Albania basically into Europe's North Korea, and the whole world forgot about this place.

But that is really nice if you are a hipster, because you have this country with a beautiful, diverse nature, and that perfect blend of ancient, medieval, christian, muslim and communist history, whilst being extremely cheap to travel in.

Source: backpacked there a few years ago.

>that fought 100k
Albanian propaganda. While the Ottomans still had a larger force it was very much smaller.

For clarification:
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_of_Constantinople
>Figures according to recent estimates and Ottoman archival data. The Ottoman Empire, for demographic reasons, would not have been able to put more than 80,000 men into the field at the time

We tend to go with the minimum figures when it comes shaky stuff like this so they had something around 50,000.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Krujë_(1450)

Like I said before, Alboshqip propaganda. (((Skanderberg))) was good but not as much as he's memed about.

>WE WUZ ILLIRIANS N SHIET

And

>100,000 to 160,000 men
>(((Hodkinson))) p. 107.
>During his career he supported the Albanian cause and took up strong anti-Serb and anti-Bulgarian positions.

oh look, its a balkan-shithead dragging politics into this.

the ottoman main army tried to conquer albania, and there is absoluetely no source whatsoever that puts their number under 100k.

>Can Veeky Forums tell me about the history of this country?
In the 11th century, the Turks began their invasion of the civilized world. Among the many nations in their horde were the Shqiptari, a particularly vicious band of Turkic peoples who settled in Northern Epirus and slaughtered the locals. They quickly betrayed their Byzantine overlords to sell out their land to their heathen Turk brethren, adopting Islam in solidarity with them. Shqips will tell you they were Catholic and cite their "hero" Skanderberg as proof, but do not be fooled, Skanderberg was a Muslim who only rebelled against the Ottomans in order to steal gold and titles for himself, like every backstabber Albanian. For the next 300 years, Albos would continue to oppress and harass the Christian people of the Balkans, slaughtering the Serbians of Kosovo and Macedonia and stealing their land, until their lust for power led them to take over Egypt and go to war with their Ottoman overlords. Having no sense of loyalty or brotherhood, they joined the Balkan nations in attacking the Turks in the late 19th century despite being nothing without the Turks, stealing the Greek city of Girokaster in the process and bringing terror and crime to the city like every other city where you can find Shqips. Then they decided to join Italy for some reason, and then they went Communists because Communism appeals to sub-85 IQ retards, Since then they have continued their old ways of flooding other Balkan countries, bringing crime, rape, pedophilia and war and crying wolf whenever people retaliate.

>Or any good books I can read about it?
No. Shqips cannot read or write, are too stupid and inbred to learn.

>I know there's something to with Illyrians but not much more.
Albo propaganda. Only connection is that Shqips murdered the Illyrians like the rats they are

>the ottoman main army tried to conquer albania, and there is absoluetely no source whatsoever that puts their number under 100k.
funny how they went from having a 50000 army at constantinople to twice as much within few years
funny how all science shows the turks were not capable of fielding armies of that size then
funny how most sources for it are from albos or biased

Stay mad, my gypsie-blooded slave neihbour.

The only funny thing is how buttmad Balkanians become whenever history is debated.

>Muh ottomans couldn't have been that strong because I dont want that to be true

They had a king named Zog who was apparently the heaviest smoker ever and smoked over 200 cigarettes a day but he also claimed he only ever smoked after sex. King Zog had over 600 blood feuds and was almost assassinated but actually shot back himself at the people trying to kill him. Zog is a pretty cool and funny figure from Albania so maybe look into him.

they were only that strong later

Albanians are not related to Illyrians. They were settled here by Ottomans, they origin directly from Caucasus afaik.

It's time for you to go back to the siberian swamplands, slave-shit, you are not welcome here.

>the Albanian language is first mentioned in a 15th century crime report when a certain Matthew, witness of a crime, stated: "I heard a voice shouting on the mountainside in the Albanian tongue"
Some things never change

>barely resist the Ottomans with forever ebin (((Skanderberg)))
>got converted to islam after anyways
>spend rest of existence attacking christian natives
such is the life of turk gypsy spawns

Lel, when I was in FYROM they were selling t-shirts with this image on the streets
I regret not buying one to wear at home for the lolz

according to that picture he was also Ted Cruz' final form

>T*rk calling others gypsies

Holy shit yeah I do see it, take away the tiny moustache and it's Ted Cruz

(Based off the Knowledge i can remember, too lazy for a wikipedia search)
>Be Ancient Albania
>Mix of Epirots and Illyrians
>Romans eventually BTFO natives
>Roman Albania later turns Byzantine
>Durazzo gets occupied by Venice
>Rest of Albania later gets BTFO by Ottoman rape train
>Afterwords is released but is kebab af
>Later BTFO by Italy in 1939
>"Liberated" by gommunists after WW2
>One of their guys fills the place with bunkers
>Cold war ends, followed shortly by commie gov being BTFO

This sounds made up. Like a historical Stig.

>Some say King Zog smoked over 200 cigarettes a day. Some say he only smoked after sex. Others say both are true. All we know is, he's called the Zog.

>Albanians appear in the Balkans in the 2nd century
>Slavs appear in the 5th-7th
>AYYYY FOREIGN INVADERS GTFO

Nigga after this many centuries you have exactly equal amounts of claim to the land.

They also had the biggest, government backed ponzi scheme during the 1990s