What country/countries best colonized Africa and how was live in their colonies?

What country/countries best colonized Africa and how was live in their colonies?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xqyWMVc9Gus
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I can speak of Algeria.

Algeria was a Iyala (state) allied to the Ottoman sultan, it depended on Three things
1-Piracy in the mediteranian.
2-Trade of Cereals and Wool with European powers.
3-Taxation of the natives

Algeria Lost its Navy and Admiral in the battle of Navarine 1927. rending it deffensless.
France landed at Sidi Fredj east of Algiers in 1830. The Bey surrendered in 5th of July.
French officer reported 80% of the kids were litterate thanks to the Quranic school. while most french soldiers werent able to write thier names.
The french army campaigned and found resistence everywhere.
Btw. France Strategy is to turn Algeria a part and province of France with the same rights as French provinces. gradually trough laws.
France turned the mosques into barracks and Depots, and sent alot of missionairies to change the religion of the natives.
France brought alot of French,Italian and Spanish immigrants to Algeria , they formed the majority of city population. And were granted lands who belonged to natives.

The natives didnt assimilate because they were
1-Taken thier lands
2-Not given rights
3-Lied to
Then in the 1920s Algerians got into politics and got WOKE and in 1954 they declared war of independence and caused succesive failure of 5 french gouvernments, the war ended in 5July1962 with Algerian Independence.

Basically no one, the only times any of the colonies ever turned a profit was when they were basically committing genocide against the natives.

Especially in sub saharan africa the europeans had assumed that the natives woukd just die off after being conquered like in america, when this didnt happen they basically didnt know what to do and eventually left.

>Britain
>France
>Germany (When they were there)
>Spain
>Italy
>Portugal
>
>
>
>Belgium

In conclusion,
at the start (1850s) you would be a dirty peasant who came to this colony to work your ass off
at the end,(1900s) you would be a normal citizen who lived like you were in france. then you hear the natives want independence so you flee back to france where you start getting called "pied noir" and see the general opinion of french people is against the war and for the independence.

Algeria was a speciale case. France tried to turn Algeria into mainland france where normal people go to start a new life.
Rest of africa was treated as trade posts where companies had gone to do biz Extraction of natural resources. and leaving natives be natives. they didnt see much resistance.

There is no diffrence between Marseille and Oran. to see how hard france tried to make it thier land.

Imho , CHINA DOES IT BEST

The most prosperous and successful colonies in Africa were British colonies. This isn't even debatable.

South Africa, Nigeria, Ghana, Egypt.

Plenty of failures as well like Sudan, Somaliland, Zimbabwe, Sierra Leone. The former Belgian colonies are the absolute worst on the continent.

Yeah British colonies were the best.

Moving goalposts. The best ones were still British.

>25 year rule

Algeria did not cause the failure of 5 French governments. It caused the failure of arguable one, the 4th republic. This claim makes me more skeptical of some of your other claims.

No, its 5 gouvernments.
You can google them all.
I dont doubt you know anything at all.

Nah hes right, the 4th Republic was a Parlementary democracy, but the governments didnt last very long due to failures to gather a majority, internal issues and of course the war in Algeria. There was even one government that lasted only 3 days, and it wasnt a one off thing. This is why the 5th Republic gives so much power to the President, so that at least shit gets done.

Dude just say Botswana and that's all we need here.
Britain wins. Generally the failure of decolonization comes from the fact that Europeans left Africa with no local elite so I don't know what British did right.

Unironically Spain. Nothing of value was robbed from the locals, their cultural and social structures were left alone, got the same fundamental rights as any Spaniard, no machine-gunning of locals, and benefited from limited but relevant investments in education and health services.

Second comes Italy probably.

Western Sahara got fucked up by Morocco/USA though, but Equatorial Guinea is an example of a country built by an armonious combination of relative prosperity and soft cultural impact on the locals.

Second comes Italy probably (Ethiopia apart) and the worst were the Anglos, Germans and French.

I thought you meant the fall of the 3rd republic, Vichy France, the Provisional government, and the 4th republic. I did not figure that you meant control of the parliament. I would say that these failures were caused more by internal workings of the 4th republic, which were exacerbated by the Algerian war. Plus the weak powers of the 3rd republic, made Charles De Gaul go for strong presidential power.

A load of bulshit , so successful population that only consisted of 1 million people (with french médecine and agriculture we have multiply their population by 1000 percent in 100 year ) have been colonized by the entire earth . We should really had genocide you nothing of value would have been lost

Right.

Why you are so mean to him. wjat you said dont even makes sense. chillchill or go back to your cintainment board.

Thats what government mean, you were confusing that with the political regime in place.

All things considered subsaharan french africa didn't do to bad for itself. You could argue however that the french obsession on civilising shit backfired when they left without finishing their work and without leaving the anglo entrepreneurial spirit.
The elites they left behind certainly knew how to do well for themselves but they had no interest in taking care of the plebs. That had been the french gibs' job and those were gone. So too did infrastructure, medecine etc.

Had the french stayed in control for 20 more years, something could have come out of their efforts.

Ya, I know, but this is Veeky Forums. People can use those terms interchangeably. I thought he was one of those ultra nationalist who twist facts to fit their narrative. Those people wouldn't even really use such terms. I was was wrong about what he meant and probably what I thought he was.

Why would it need to stay in control, the African possessions had become far too expensive to maintain with the civillian unrest. I think they did the right thing by pulling out and making them almost like puppet states, its far more profitable and reliable.

>Portugal that low
youtube.com/watch?v=xqyWMVc9Gus

Eq. Guinea is the most stupid country on the planet, by IQ score alone. Botswana (ex-British) blows all other ex-colonies out of the water.

>Algeria did not cause the failure of 5 French governments. It caused the failure of arguable one, the 4th republic.
Dude, you do know that republics and governments are very different things right?

Angola and Mozambique are nothing special. The latter is pretty unremarkable and the former a politically unstable shack that can't decide if it loves Portugal-senpai or hates it and wants to see it crumble.

Best Portuguese colony in my opinion is Cape Verde, or at least the most unfucked of them, though that's not saying much.
The others are shit and not worth mentioning.

>Hand-on tier

Britain
France

>Resource extraction tier

Germoney
Belgium

>Hands-off tier

Portugal

To his defense, French Republics rarely lasted more than a government or so before the Third Republic.

>Belgium isn't in hands-off tier
Why do you think it's called 'hands-off'?

>t. FLN

The natives didn't assimilate because they were not asked to do so, they were free to live their life as they pleased.
The lands "taken" by the Europeans were wild non cultivated lands, and constituted a small part of the agricultural land.
And the only right they were denied was the right to vote equaly: their vote was proportionaly weighted... What a big deal in such a """democracy""".
They didn't "woke" at all, they were indoctrinated by intellectuals (pure French products btw) who made them believe they were unhappy while in fact their lifestyle was unmatched, in the sole purpose to reach the power. Literal politics piracy. And later they were forced at gun point to side with the rebels or die.
Blaming the evil colonial power for everything that's wrong is the speciality of every politician leader in Algeria since a century, you would make a great step forward if you didn't swallow their narrative.

>the Year of our Lord 2017
>people STILL take Lynn's 59 IQ estimate of Equatorial Guinea seriously, after the dude himself recognized his fuckup

carlos pls go and stay go

see

>Decolonization left them with no elites
Then why didn't the proletariat create a working man's paradise?

America

Where is it? New Orleans?

Liberia

Movieland.

Baltimore

>The french army campaigned and found resistence everywhere.

Thankfully that resistance wasnt too scary
Based european technology

There was no such thing as "Algeria" before France came
There was Algiers (an Ottoman occupied city) and the desert below
Then France took over and drew borders, built roards, railways....and basically created Algeria

What happend in that part of spain in africa i never see it discussed and why spain never occupied more of africa?
Why did portugal remained in africa until mid 70s when everybody else left

Portugal declared themselves a "pluricontinetal nation" and claimed not to be an empire but one nation on many continents

Unironically the Netherlands
1. Built kaapstad/Cape Town, located on one of the most strategic places in the world
2. Colonizated Gold Coast
Left just in time before Africans were given rights.