ITT: Best standing armies of History

Let's get a rundown on the best standing armies by century.

Greentext the century in order and the faction that had the best Army of that time. Reg text your justification.

He's what I've come up so far.
BC: 10th-1st
Ad:
1st: Rome
2nd:Rome
3rd: Rome
4th: Rome
5th: Western Rome
6th: Eastern Rome
7th: Umayyad Caliphate
8th: Tang China
9th: Frank's
10th: Holy Roman Empire
11th: Normans
12th: HRE
13th: Mongols
14th: English
15th: Spanish
16th: French
17th: Spanish
18th: English
19th: English
20th: German
21st: American

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=24EPyHdPwNE
ww2-weapons.com/u-s-arms-production/
ww2-weapons.com/russian-arms-production/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Here's a temple.

>1st:
>2nd:
>3rd:
>4th:
>5th:
>6th:
>7th:
>8th:
>9th:
>10th:
>11th:
>12th:
>13th:
>14th:
>15th:
>16th:
>17th:
>18th:
>19th:
>20th:
>21st:

Your criteria for being best (I assume it is not just being the biggest)?

Plus splitting this by centuries is borderline retarded, especially for XIXth and XXth centuries

I kept it very general so that it could be open for discussion and argument.

Thanks for the retard comment btw. Glad you're making the best of your time on earth by telling people they are stupid over an anonymous website board

No insult was indended, it is just that splitting it by centuries actually prevents such list from being meaningful
Too lazy to provide the list for whole of the history but here is some suggestions for those who should be on the list:
BC: the Assyrians in 7 century BC, Persia in 5th BC, Macedonia at the times of Philipp and Alexander
AD: the Ottomans at their peak, Timur, Napoleonic France, Prussia in the end of 19th century up to the end of WWI, Red Army post-1943

How can armies that have literally only ever lost wars be the best?

Usually, armies win battles, not wars.

>18th: English
>19th: English

You just went full retard my man
The British army was always pure grabage, it's their navy that was good
The meme about redcoats being elite is very recent (post-WW2) and was invented by Americans (to make their revolution seem glorious)

In that period, the best armies were

1700-1740: France
1740-1792: Prussia
1792-1815: France
1815-1853: Russia
1853-1900: Prussia/Germany

Also, arguably there should be no English at all (if you do not account for navy), at any given moment there was a land force superior to the eternal Anglo
Also Normans were not a single entity and in any case in 11th century there were far more powerful conquerors e.g. Seljuks

>20th: German
l m a o

most under performing*

>16th: French
>17th: Spanish

You reversed them
Spaniards were the best in Europe from the Italian Wars (1500s) to Rocroi (1643) while the French were the best from 1643 to the mid 18th century

I find this stupid. Stupid because "best" doesn't mean anything, and you seem to mistake nationalities for national regimes.
What do you hear by "the best" ? The most numerous one ? The richest ? The one with the highest number of "victories" ? But theses victories, are they brought by luck, good commanders, by logistics ?
For exemple, you claim that the best army of the XIVth Century is "England". I bet you do this because of meme battles like Crécy and Poitiers ; Do you know that these two battles led to no permanent gain during the HYW ? That France managed to earn back all of the lost territories in the two decades that followed Poitiers, and without any major-scale battle, simply a lot of sieges and a deep-line campaign ? If anything, compared with the english army, the french had the best army, because it was made of more soldiers, it was richer, it was more cohesive socially, it had great and better-trained commanders ; And yet, the army of the King of England (Which is not the same thing as "the english") managed to win two battles which had a large impact on the political course of the war, and mayhaps it is the english weakness that made them strong (Mostly the fact that the King of England had to embark his army on boat, so he had a limited number of men, so he could profesionnalise his levies and only rely on a small force which was used to terrorize the countryside ; Note that when this army was taken unaware, like at Pontvaillan, they were utterly crushed).
Also, you use armies that are often so distant with each other that I don't see which criteria you can use to compare these militaries. Like why do you pick the HRE for the 12th century when there were no "Imperial army" and more like imperial knights and landlords, and the imperial knighthood was inferior to the frankish or norman or angevin knighthood.

tl;dr : Stop acting like History is a video game with different factions who can have better stats than another.

>1740-1792: Prussia

What.
Prussia was, until the mid 19th century and later Germany, a wannabe predator with big appetite and bad teeth.
You are subscribing to Freddy memes there, the guy's biggest success was not power in arms, it was administrative and diplomatic coups and reforms.

>5th: Western Rome

After the division the western empire was shit, from the start, to the end, it was pure shit.

>20th
>German
Nigga what, they performed well in the world wars sure but the American and Soviet armies were much more dominant in the 20th century

7th: Arabs
8th: Arabs
9th: Franks
10th: Bulgars
11th: ERE
12th: Turks
14th: Ottomans
15th: Ottomans
16th: Spanish
17th: French
18th: French
19th: French
20th: American
21st: American

r8 my changes (no bully pls)

>19th: French
forgot to change to Prussia

5th: WRE collapsed, the Huns probbaly the strongest contender
20th: speaking of land power, the Soviets were way more powerful that the US during the most of the Cold War

>1st: Rome
>2nd: Rome
>3rd: Rome
>4th: Sassanids
>5th: Eastern Rome
>6th: Eastern Rome
>7th: Umayyad
>8th: China
>9th: Franks
>10th: Abbasid
>11th: Normands
>12th: French
>13th: Mongols
>14th: French
>15th: French
>16th: Spanish
>17th: French
>18th: Frech
>19th: French
>20th: Soviet Union
>21st: China
Peopel that write Germany for 20th are historically illiterates

*people

>1st:Rome
>2nd:Rome
>3rd:Rome
>4th:Rome
>5th:W. Rome
>6th:E. Rome
>7th:Muslism
>8th:Muslism
>9th:Franks
>10th:HRE
>11th:Normands
>12th:HRE
>13th:Mongols
>14th:Turks
>15th:Turks
>16th:Spanish
>17th:French
>18th:Prussia
>19th:French
>20th:German
>21st:American

>Takes out the most glorious century for the French army
A fucking genius

Pleb zerg rush Levee en masse Vs. The glorius Seven Years' War

The XVIII century belongs to Prussia

People that believe China has a bigger military than the US are in sad denial of their ruling Empire.

That's actually a fairly accurate list. I didn't expect that from Veeky Forums.

t. communist scum

t. liberal cuckold that thinks every non-american is communist

Kind reminder that Prussia would be completely fucked up after Seven Years' War if not for Prussia-boo retard Peter III, who when Prussia effectively lost the war, returned to Frederick all territories occupied by the Russian and even supplied him with additional troops

>non-american is communist
I am from fucking south america, but you must be in an absolute denial to actually believe that the URSS was the best army in the XX century and China is the best in the XXI

That doesn't mean that he did not single beat France, Austria, Russia and Spain being little piece of shit in the baltic coast

Not him, but name anything that could realistically stood a chance in a land war against post-WW2 Soviet Army

Afghani guerillas.

Idk, the fucking american army nuking the shit out of Moscow? the Red Army was exhausted and Russia in ruins, while on the other side are the United States that was not even affected by the war and in 1945 was almost 50% of the World Economy.

The real world isnt a HOI IV game, you dont win spaming gorrilons of soldiers in the front

this, the only place where were USians supperior was fleet strenght, but USA had to split it much more than the Soviets, there wasnt a single thing that could stood against the Warsaw pact (or just USSR alone) on the battlefield.

Are you autistic? You sound like a HoI IV player, there wasnt a single way how could USA nuke any Soviet city. And as you said, world isnt HoI IV, your people arent ok with attacking your ally you fought on one side for 4 years.

No. But you make a good point, Prussia and Germany in the late 19th and early to mid 20th, had some of the best militaries but from the 1930s on, Russia certainly did have the upper hand amongst all others, I suppose it's hard to determine who dominates modern warfare, since the last major conflict between nations was WW2, you could argue that the US dominated the majority of th 20th from ww2 on but it's hard to say since we never saw the US directly fight a global power. Korea was a small conflict which was upset in the end, Vietnam was a bigger upset and a longer conflict

>had to split it much more than the Soviets
The fuck i am reading, the soviets literally have 4 fleets who can support each others in any case.

You was the one talking about a hypothetical scenario where X country go to the war against the URSS and I give you an excellent example

cant*

Soviet navy´s job was to protect the coasts and to nuke US with submarines, US fleet is usseles.
>You was the one talking about a hypothetical scenario where X country go to the war against the URSS and I give you an excellent example
I literally wrote in that post that US cant nuke USSR without balistic missiles and that it cant backstabb its ally and that USSR being exhausted is a meme. I dont even take in count Soviet and French communist partisans/uprising and US logistic problems.

*Italian and French
And as always, USSR is too big, especialy when it takes entire central Europe

> 19th Century: British

Even fully mobilized Civil War USA would have face raped the Brits on land, not to mention France.

So many memes in one post
Nukes? It is not like the US had massive nuclear arsenal and ballistic missiles at that stage and what they had the Soviets could stomach
Ruins? Just check the statisctics of the military industrial output of USSR in 1945 - the whole country literally was a giant weapon factory
War fatigue? Red Army was so exhausted that shortly after the end of the war in Europe it annihilated 1,5mln Kwantung Army with practically zero effort in less than a month
Also human waves meme

Beating reservist nips hungry and bad equipped beat the American Army

>Just check the statisctics of the military industrial output of USSR in 1945
The USSR output was like a candle in the sun compared to the American industry

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

youtube.com/watch?v=24EPyHdPwNE

I hate them, but Ottomans for 15th or 16th centuries

>Russians got fucked in WW1 despite the Western front
>Only won WW2 because of the British Empire, America and LL
Not to downplay the Russian/Soviet sacrifices, but they weren't a particularly good army.

forgot pic.

If you have some data to back your claims go ahead, i will wait

Nice meme, but I'm pretty sure that by the time the Allies joined the war in 1944 the Red Army was already in Poland. Lend lease my ass.

not him but user... the Russian army was shit, is like said that the KMT army was good because survive despite the casualties

The military output during the war was pretty comparable even with some major industrial centers of USSR in German hands
ww2-weapons.com/u-s-arms-production/
ww2-weapons.com/russian-arms-production/

Agree that Kwantung Army was weakened in order to reinforce other theatres (though it was originally one of the most prestigious units) but it was heavily entrenched and logistics for the Soviets fighting in the Far East was a nightmare so still the ease with which Red Army steamrolled the Japanese was pretty impressive

?
But this pic proves might point exactly: the ouput was pretty much comparable

>heavily entrenched
the wasn't even AA or AT guns in Manchuko, was like assault a WW1 army.
>logistics for the Soviets fighting in the Far East was a nightmare
That is why they go full Romel and run the tanks (nips did not have AT) until they let out of full and the war end. Logistic didn't affect the attack.

>ww2-weapons.com/russian-arms-production/
literally keep producing outdated equipment.

as I already post in the 2 pics (and ) there is no point of comparison.

you must be blind

>17th century
New Model Army (England)

there*, ran*, fuel*, etc. sorry i am phone posting

Red Army of 1941 and Red Army of 1943 are quite different
The late war Red Army was capable of practically executing deep operations doctrine which require immense complexity of coordination and discipline
Seriosly suggesting that army capable of executing operations on the scale of Bagration is shit, is either bait or complete ignorance

This should obviously be American

>require immense complexity of coordination and discipline
(Ratio 4:1 infantery 12:1 planes 58:1 tanks 100:1 artillery) + (Superior moral, terrain, supply chains and the enemy have the order of run away) = Still have huge losses

Wow such impressive

The same amount of tanks
USSR produced two times more artillery pieces and mortars
US produced two times more aircrafts
Huge difference in trucks production because land lease was a primary source of those for USSR

All this while USSR key industrial regions are occupied by Germany

Do you have some special definition of comparable? Obviously the naval production is totally different story

England was garbage in the 17th century senpai
France and Spain were the big guys

real life isnt call of durty nigger, not to mention you posted meme statistics

>21st century
>CHINA
*inhales*
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

>royalist England
Not an argument

That numbers come from When Titans Clashed: How the Red Army Stopped Hitler for the soviets and The Eastern Front 1943–1944 Wegner, Bernd (2007) for the germans. Give me you betters sources so.

>real life isnt call of durty nigger
You are the one being a nigger full URSS STRONK COMARADE when it only won against 2 already beaten countries and with western help

Battle of Berlin isnt the entire Eastern Front.
Also Soviet-German "K/d" is better for Soviet union if we exclude both Soviet and German casualities from 1941

Oi faggots, where's the Swiss?

New model army of Cromwell was just a copy of Spanish one. It was new model in England, not in Europe.

>Battle of Berlin isnt the entire Eastern Front
Who is talking about the battle of berlin? we are about Bagration ()

I didnt knew that 24,363 and 10,090 is 100:1 advantage.
Also that fact Germans thought Soviets are going to attack Ukraine insstead of Belorussia is nothing but proof of Kraut autism and Soviet maskirovka profesionality.

20th is actually USSR and the USA

They're definitely not the most outstanding for the vast majority of the century. The "best standing" army in the 20th century is a hard question to answer, because I'd say that it kind of alternated between the British in the first third, then the Germans for about 10 years, then probably the Americans from ~1942 on. Perhaps the Soviets beat the Americans in terms of army superiority at some points during the Cold War for a brief time.

the best standing army in the world is my dick

>Germans thought Soviets are going to attack Ukraine insstead of Belorussia is nothing but proof of Kraut autism and Soviet maskirovka profesionality
Implyng that care, germany could not defend Ucrania neither Belorussia, they were already defeated

24,363 and 10,090 is 100:1 advantage.
even in fucking wikipedia said that were a overwhelming number of equip for the soviets at the beginning of the operation (when they make most of they gains) and when the soviets advance a few hundreds of kilometers in 2 fucking months they supply lines reached their limit and have to stop. Also when the germans reinforced arrived the numbers of soviets deaths skyrocket to the absurd so >The late war Red Army was capable of practically executing deep operations doctrine which require immense complexity of coordination and discipline
is fucking bullshit

>Implyng that care, germany could not defend Ucrania neither Belorussia, they were already defeated
Therefore, every successful allied operation in WW2 is irrelevant, because they won, right?

Without lend lease Russia would have lost, just like in WWI.

>the British in the first third

Are you unironically implying the British had a better army than Germany and France in WW1

t. Pierre Lefrogue

France was shit and you needed to be saved by Britain in both world wars. Deal with it.

The WRE defeated the Huns though. Twice, as a matter of fact.

You're thinking of Britain who sponged off of leand lease just to scrape by. Russia would've survived without lend lease, they'd just have fuckloads more casualties.

Yes, but strategicallly even the Battle of the Catalaunian Plains was not that important, with Atillla shortly thereafter invading Italy, it was mostly internal problems that ended Hun's threat
In any case WRE is a poor choice for 5th century given that it ceased to exist in 476, was weak before that and relied heavily on military aid from allied barbarian rulers

>every successful allied operation in WW2 is irrelevant
Irrelevant? No. But no operation in 1944 and especially in the eastern front can be something to use as example of capable military staff or if your words "capable of practically executing deep operations doctrine which require immense complexity of coordination and discipline" hell NO

>He doesn't know

Reminder that Krauts did not won a single strategic offensive during the entire war.

And your point is?

7th: Umayyad Caliphate
8th: Tang China
9th: Frank's
10th: Holy Roman Empire
11th: Normans
12th: HRE
14th: surely not English
15th: Spanish
16th: French
17th: Spanish
18th: surely not the English
19th: Surely not English
20th: German

>did not won

french?

Not true

1853-1900

1853 - 1866 French

1866-1918 Germany

1918 - 1936 French

Probably Russian
Frogs don't bother posting about WW2 anymore (unless someone provoke them into it through Lindyposting) cause they know their performance is undefendable

Not the guy you are replying to, but the guy you are quoting - I'm genuinely interested what do you consider an “example of capable military staff” if you think the late-war Soviet operations below that mark

>1918-1936 France
I agree that the army itself was great, but how can you excuse the officers and their doctrine?

I am not saying that the soviets were brainless, I am saying that fucking Bagratio being a “example of capable military staff” was a bad joke, they literally have by far all of win and they just advance a few kilometres for a hugh cost bot Human and Military.

The RAF in the battle of Britain, the Soviets in Uranus or the Germans in France are examples of capable military staff. If having hard and expensive victories over a completely inferior enemy count as a example of capable military staff for god sake, Italy in WW2 have by far the best stuff!

Fair.

This.

For most of history (until large-scale utilization of firearms) Steppe missile cavalry was the most effective type of military organization with the only caveat being that it couldn't project force into agrarian areas and hold onto power for more than a few generations.

In simple infantry terms and counting just Europeans, working backwards it's probably:
1989-Current: USA
1944-1989: Soviet Union
1939-1943: Germany
1919-1938: France
1866-1918: NGC/Germany
1854-1866: France
1816-1853: Russia
1648-1815: France

Planes are fucking expensive. Towed artillery is cheap.

The US paid $240,000 for a B-24 Liberator, about $50,000 for an M4 Sherman, and only 12,000 for a M101 105mm howitzer. Mortars are even cheaper.

See I was hoping this would be more of a thread about 14th century golden horde vs Mamulek caliphate vs France cav charges or Teutonic order.

Not US vs Russia vs Germany. But I guess I should blame myself for posting

>1st: England
>2nd: England
>3rd: England
>4th: England
>5th: England
>6th: England
>7th: England
>8th: England
>9th: England
>10th: England