Leave being right about everything to me

Leave being right about everything to me

Not so fast.

Based Hobbes. No other political document in western history caused so much butthurt as The Leviation.

>man is more individualistic than social?
Aren't humans meant to be social animals though? Or he means "individualistic" in the "always looks for the option than benefits him the most" sense?

oh and i goofed with the question mark at the quote

I'm pretty sure he means man is more likely to help himself than society, even if it is at society's expense.

It's a commentary that humans aren't rational beings seeking utility, rather emotional being seeking social status. Are individualistic tendencies a reflection of our desire to be higher up on the human totem pole, and our willingness to be complete cunts about it.

Spinoza > Hobbes

Leibniz > Spinoza

that's not Rousseau

>what is the Communist Manifesto

Inspired autism, less butthurt. After the Leviathan was published an entire cottage industry rose up in response to it, and everyone had a pet theory on why they felt that the Leviathan was wrong. The more it was attacked, the more that people remembered it. The sheer volume of anal clenching reached a critical mass, and modern political theory was born out of this collapsing accretion disc of discussion.

>Leibniz
He got utterly BTFO'd by Voltaire though

>Unironically being a Trump supporter

>>>>>>>>reddit>>>>

>hurr durr we should be animals

He was far too pessimistic about humanity. He thought we should live in what is basically North Korea

He was actually kind of liberal for his time tho

Well yeah, by beeing atheist and stuff. I am not denying his contributions, just saying that he wasn't right about everything

He had no faith in altruism.

On the whole he is actually right, but all that gets us is a tyrannical king. We can improve on government, necessary as it may be; in fact, tyrannical rule is more likely to cause disorder than a lax rule.

Now in general, you can't rely on altruism to govern society because it's not the overriding priority for almost anyone. But just like, even if they hate being told what to, people accept a government as good because it's needed for a functioning civilization, people accept altruistic policy via taxation even if they would rather keep their money because they know it's a good thing. Thus why we have socialized healthcare, education, etc, and in democratic countries no less, not imposed by an autocrat.

I agree with his premise that tyranny is better than anarchy. That is something that modern western society has forgotten, which lead to a lot of suffering in middle east.

But he didn't predict that we could do better than having an absolutist monarch, I don't think Hobbes actually believed that democracy could work

>Voltaire
>the guy who "muh christianity is crap" but he repents to God at the end of his life
>BTFOning anyone

Kys reddit tier historian.