Accents

Anyone have an autistic interest in accents? The way how different terms and pronunciations of the same language develop in their respective region fascinates the shit out of me.

I only know about the accents for my own language but I've always been fascinated about how other languages accent developed over time.

Whats your favorite accent Veeky Forums? Do you have an interesting accent

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/XPfOL4wUuMU
youtu.be/ntQbcxGMqeY
youtu.be/8z2f1x7IGMw
youtu.be/BFzK6Asb1pw
youtu.be/ZdBcqt7kTPI
youtu.be/IJ2-l1oFz_8
youtu.be/QaWvtgcoXcQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ubGjasm63Y0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_Dutch_English
youtube.com/watch?v=jXs9cf2YWwg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonological_history_of_English#After_American.E2.80.93British_split.2C_up_to_World_War_II
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I have an incredibly autistic love for the Old Southern accent (non-rhotic). Unfortunately it's dying out since all the rich southernors speak completely like northerners now while the working class redneck continues to speak his rhotic accent

>youtu.be/XPfOL4wUuMU

Everybody has an accent.
>Muricans don't have accents

When I was in the military I ran into a couple of dudes with that old southern accent, like you pointed out most were from poor or working class families, probably the most interesting accents I heard had to have been the Appalachian, Cajun and an honest to God Maine/New England accent. He almost sounded like a mix of British and basic New England accent

Why did I have to be from California? People would tell me I sounded like a fuckin newscaster

I think it's interesting that people from Holland and Scandinavia seem to be able to pick up the "common" American accent really quick, seems almost easier for them than the English.

Best Spanish accents: Famous qts edition

In order:

1. Colombian spicy sex
youtu.be/ntQbcxGMqeY

2. Argie singsong
youtu.be/8z2f1x7IGMw

3. Venezuelan chevere speak
youtu.be/BFzK6Asb1pw

4. Spanish lisp
youtu.be/ZdBcqt7kTPI

5. Mexican tacospeak
youtu.be/IJ2-l1oFz_8

6. All the others

7. Chilean moonspeak
youtu.be/QaWvtgcoXcQ

>Why did I have to be from California? People would tell me I sounded like a fuckin newscaster

Colorado guy here...(same accent as Cali more or less)...I like our accent, easy to understand, hard to replicate.

>tfw parents from El Salvador
>sort of sound like Colombians and Venezuelans
>stretch our their vowels in a weird way
>find out great grandpa on both sides were Basque
>mom even remembers a little Euskara

I've gotta say though, Northern Mexican Spanish is pretty damn atrocious

The only I've been told is that I have an extremely subtle midwestern sound to my English, I always chalked it up to growing up around Okies in the Californian Deserts

I'm a tad biased, but I absolutely adore French accents/patois from around the country. Might sound "froggy" to a foreigner but it is delightful to my ears and pretty interesting to see the differences between each regions.

youtube.com/watch?v=ubGjasm63Y0

Are you French yourself? Is Occitan its own language or is it some kind of dialect?

Also, is there foreign influences in regions that border other countries?

>that colombian girl

Muricans sound like faggots honestly and their women sound retarded.

It's because American accents are an agglomeration of German and various European pronunciations of English.

Interestingly enough the same goes for modern Hebrew. Their accents are based on European pronunciations so their r is very French/German.

>It's because American accents are an agglomeration of German and various European pronunciations of English.
No they aren't.

Maybe not German but British and Scots-Irish definitely has an influence on how some accents in the US developed, especially the various Southern, Appalachian, and New English accents

Yup.
It's pretty much its own thing. I mean, the North/South are divided in the Langue d'Oc/d'Oïl: both are still Romance languages but still separate.
Though it is, or at the very least, "feels" pretty easy to understand southern patois.
Can't help ya on the influences however. I do remember some talk of some form of the occitan language being spoken in a few enclaves in southern Italy but that's about all I can think at 5AM.

Interesting, so what would you compare the Northern/Southern relationship to? For example, is it like how a Spaniard can sort of make out what a Portuguese is saying or are there enough similarities that you can hold a conversation on the fly with someone speaking Occitan?

Somewhat similar to the former I'd say. It's still somewhat understandable and depending on the region, it is absolutely possible to hold a conversation on the fly ('specially in Provence). If you were to put me with a guy from the Gascon area however, I'll admit I might be lost. I'll still understand some of it but shit's going to be lost in translation for a good chunk of the conversation I feel like.

Obviously in the Roussillon, I'd be at a loss. I can't understand shit when it comes to Catalan, or at the very least a few words.

Then please enlighten me where American accents come from minus of course the southern accents.

Southern England

>tfw everyone loves Colombian costeño accent
>tfw you associate costeño accent with trampness-thotness-stacyness or whatever
>tfw you prefer Colombian mountain accent because it gives you a vibe of honesty and charm
>tfw you think gringos who like costeño accent are damn idiotic, of the kind who get drugged and mugged because they fall for the costeña kind

Sorry lads, I mean you well. Don't fall for the sexy ones. You'll get played like a fiddle.

So how did the large amounts of European immigration through Ellis island and all the different ethnicities learning English affect American accents?

This is what I mean, there's so many accents and even dialects in languages that I would've never known about. Here in the US, the closest I could say we have to that is probably Cajun English or even some of the more isolated Appalachians

I had a coon-ass friend who would go from speaking English to French to a mix of the two on the fly, could barely understand what he was saying sometimes

They didn't, really. At least in General American I'm not aware of any features that can be traced to European immigration.

Not him but the people I've met from Wisconsin have a sort of "sing song" thing going on, probably has something to do with all the Norwegians and Scandinavians that moved there

Coming from a non native speaker, I think BrE sounds more effeminate.

I kind of agree with you on women. They do sound kinda dumb and frivolous.

I think Provencal is my favorite

Accents are still very diverse in Britain. One can tell instantly where someone lives to a resolution of about 10-20 miles.

Police have used voice/accent analysis from phone calls to locate criminals to individual neighbourhoods (of about 1-2 miles).

My accent/dialect for example retains many original Anglo-Saxon words and pronunciations (having never really come under Norman control). And a lot of Scandinavian too.

> Come on, let's go home to see your children.
> Aweh, let's gan hyem t'see eower bairns.

>Venezuelan "clothing"
Nice

Can you give a good example of a mountain Colombian accent?
I was on exchange with a Colombian last year and and Im fairly sure it didnt sound costeño-y (at least in the video you quoted)

I use absolutely as much Texan vernacular as i possibly can. I feel that the way you speak is a huge part of your character, and you should embrace unique qualities where you can get them.
>tfw just outside of the region where they habitually drop the 'r'.
Mad as hell, god damn that sounds great.

>tfw speak General American

Same thing happens with Argentine Spanish, being an older pronunciation of Spanish influenced by Italian and other European languages. Several everyday words have Italian or English origins.

I wonder if the same happens in countries like Australia or Canada where immigration has tended to come more from the mother country alone.

>be Slovenian
>2 million people
>7 dialect groups
>40-60 different dialects
vsaka vas ima svoj glas

Agree. It goes beyond accents, I think. Americanisms are destroying the English language.

My favourite British accent is West Country, and all its variations such as Bristolian or Dorset

Yeah, I could say I have an interest in dialects. Of course, my favourite dialect is my own. I speak an Upper Carniolan dialect (calling it "the" Upper Carniolan dialect would not be very accurate because apart from the general differences that can be spotted on a smaller, local level (as put it, "every village has its voice") but there are also bigger variations.
For example, I come from a small village near a city that was for a very long time populated by many Germans. Many Slovene dialects are generally very influenced by German but because of direct contact with German speakers, there are that many more German loanwords in my dialect. That's not all, though; German has influenced my dialect (and Slovene in general) on a much deeper level, as our grammar is in certain aspects close to German as well.

>Be Italian
>Hear northern Italians talk
>Every other phrase is filled with cussing
>Hear southern Italian talk
>"Ué 'cumpá, I have an offer you can't refuse"
>Hear myself
>Don't sound like anything
>Not even when speaking English
>People mistook me multiple times for an Austrian, German, swede, Norse, generally from Northern Europe.

Who here has no accent? How do you feel!

you might have autism

I have a lot of family roots in Pennsylvanian agrarianism and as a connection to that I really wish I could make more of an effort to at least incorporate more Pennsylvania Dutch-isms, and I kinda wish the accent had imprinted on me more growing up.

>Pennsylvania Dutch-isms

Tell me more user

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_Dutch_English
Just words or certain grammatical quirks that come from a dialect based in German influence. I do use things such as "all" for something being finished, e.g. "the cake is all" and saying I'll go do something "awhile", among a few others, but my grandparents actually had more of the accent in addition, and I kinda wish I had picked that up since my grandfather was a very admirable man to me.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_Dutch_English

BTFO by Veeky Forums again, I didn't even know this was a thing

It's pretty localized, and like any minor language/dialect it's kind of dying out. There's a lot like this that even well-read people don't always hear about.

desu I have a decent interest in minor languages like that, which kinda sucks because while I really want to learn a language it only seems to be the ones that would serve no purpose to me. Things like PA dutch, any variety of Gaelic, etc, the ones that seem like they're on the decline, because they're so unique to me that I'd hate to see them die out.

I feel you there actually, both my great grandparents were Basque but only my mother remembers a few words and phrases.

I've been thinking of learning Basque but I feel like I'd be a bit of a try hard if I did

Listerine is Cockney slang for Doesn't like Americans (from antiseptic > anti-septic tank > septic tank > yank).

Barney Rubble > trouble

A try-hard might be if you have no connection to the culture and still want to learn it, but even then if something fascinates you that much regardless of personal ties, my opinion is who cares what others think.

For you especially, you have family history in that, and I think learning as a means to learn more about and strengthen your ties to your past is admirable.

> I couldn't Adam and Eve her boat race when she got down the apples and pears.
This confuses and enrages the foreigner.

sicilian gallo-italic accent is my favourite

I'm interested in linguistics more generally.

>sofia vergara will never sit on your face
>you will never fondle her breasts

>when your T's become D's
>when your T's just stop existing

Not many people know about the high tide accent.
youtube.com/watch?v=jXs9cf2YWwg

>tfw have slight New York/Jersey accent when I'm drunk/not paying attention
>get bullied for it

>lisp
getting really tired of this fucking meme

I have this accent

I live in the suburbs of Philly, and an interesting thing I've noticed is that while an accent obviously starts to fade away the further from the source it gets, I live in an area where people have a mix of a Philly accent and regular Northeastern accent. About 30 miles away, you'll probably hear very little of the Philly accent, but in my area it's about 50/50. I grew up with and still have what is mostly a Philly accent, but not entirely. I say things like "Wooder", etc.

Also, pic related is "Water Ice", we don't call it some gay shit like "Shaved ice" or "Italian Ice".

It's fucking ice cream

I have a strange accent. I'm from the north US (Minnesota) so I have a bit of a stereotypical elongated-vowel scandie minnesoootan accent. However, I'm from southern Minnesota so it's a little different than if I were from the northern parts of the state. It's more Wisconsin-y where I'm from.

When I lived in Canada, no one could tell the difference though. I sounded Canadian (and yes, there are inflections/accents that anglo canadians have)

The one extra quirk I have though is that my dad is from the Philly area (strongly italian family as well) and I have picked up some of his linguistic quirks as well. When I say "horrid" it sounds like "hard" and stuff like that.

It creates a very weird way of talking for me. However I do notice when I talk with Minnesotans and upper midwesterners and Canadians my accent gets REAL bad. The "you betchas" come out.

>water ice
As opposed to what, crystal meth?

I love cajun accents, everyone sounds slightly crazy, like the swamp messes with their head.

here's a picture to show what I mean by southern MN vs northern MN (and the sconnie similarities)

So is it actually true that American english sounds more like oldschool english than modern British english does?

I never lost my jersey accent, but my brother never got it because he didn't live there long enough to grow up with it.

Gabagool?

>"Water Ice", we don't call it some gay shit like "Shaved ice" or "Italian Ice".
>this is the state of Philadelphia

That isn't quite how capicoli is said there, but close enough.

That's only the Italians. The rest of the state is a combination of Puerto Ricans, WASPs up north, jews, and Indians. No blacks except for Camden, but no one lives there but them so it's contained.

This idea mainly comes from the fact that most noticeable difference between American English and British English is rhoticity, and it is true that American is more conservative here, but overall American English has changed just as much as British English.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonological_history_of_English#After_American.E2.80.93British_split.2C_up_to_World_War_II