What are some good history themed comics or manga?

What are some good history themed comics or manga?
Picture not related.

Other urls found in this thread:

readcomiconline.to/Comic/The-League-of-Extraordinary-Gentlemen-1999/Full?id=44448
harkavagrant.com
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Pujol_García
dailyhistory.org/How_did_Joseph_Stalin_react_to_the_German_invasion_during_WWII?
quora.com/Did-Josef-Stalin-speak-Russian-with-a-Georgian-accent
dsss.be/hitler-vs-stalin/index.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>that visible scrotum
DING DONG BANNU

you might enjoy this, its a favorite of mine
readcomiconline.to/Comic/The-League-of-Extraordinary-Gentlemen-1999/Full?id=44448

its an Alan Moore comic that's basically The Avengers with Victorian literary characters

Vinland Saga. Danish invasion of England and the rise of Cnut. Start skimming once they hit the farm tho.

Brilliant.

that comic is occasionally good

love Veeky Forums related oglaf strips

that's fucking hot

anyone have the one with roman soldiers carrying germanic women on their shoulders?

readcomicbooksonline dot net/reader/The_Death_Of_Stalin/The_Death_Of_Stalin_Issue_001/1

The farm arc is the best tho

>League

my fucking African-American. I re-read Volume 2 on a monthly basis

lmao

harkavagrant.com

unfunny, clumsy allegory
Creationists hardly exist outside the USA and the third world, why do burgers give so much of a shit?
kill yourself

>two whole comics about based Beria
neat

Me and the Devil Blues
the manga is set in the American South in the 1930s and it focuses on blues legend Robert Johnson

Herodotus was the first historian, Thucydides was the first student of history. Also yeah Herodotus says a ton of ridiculous shit, but he almost always qualifies it by saying "they told me, although I don't believe it..." he actually has a bunch of different ways of saying that. Like during the chapter on egypt there's a section where he's talking about the different birds indigenous to the Nile river valley that are considered holy by the priests, and at the end he starts talking about a phoenix with magical powers. He says 3 separate times during that passage that he doesn't believe it.

>The farm arc is the best tho

I'm getting flashes of it now.

Mangas
>Historie
>Ad Astra
>Vinland Saga
>Ten no Hate made
Comics
>The Eagles of Rome
>Murena
>The Battle
>Maus
>The Grand Duke
>Battlefields

I forgot
>The Three
>The Throne of Clay

>Ad Astra

Currently reading it, good stuff

Dpea anyone know of Alix by Jacques Martin? They're fictional comics but set in a pretty precise historical context.

Spice & Wolf, while not strictly in the realm of real history, is actually a surprisingly good starting point for High-Late Middle Ages economics. Money changing, bidding, fluctuations of markets and guilds are all brought up in a believable fashion. The characters actually manage to have grounded realism compared to other works of medieval fantasy.

Plus, Holo a best.

>tfw no cute and wholesome pregnant Anne Frank manga

Here's my personal favorite historical manga: Emma, Bride Stories and Golden Kamui.

I have not read them, but I have seen some volumes in comic stores.

Shoukoku no Altair aka Turk anime

>Ottoman's greatest architectural achievement
>Adding some fucking sticks to the Hagia Sofia, built 1000 years before by Romans

BORGIA

One of my friends who spends a lot of time on reddit always tries to argue that Herodotus is a liar and shouldn't be given the precedence he has.
He's annoying as fuck when we talk history, because I actually got a degree in the field and he just listens to Dan Carlin.
His recent thing has been going on about how terrible Caesar was for treating the Celts like barbarians

>Bokko
Set during the Chinese Warrior States period, the main character is monk whose order protects cities from any bessieging army.
The history begins with the siege of an small town and ends showing a colonization of the Japanese islands by some Chinese refugees (as you may know some legends and theories explain the sudden development of the archipielago through continental colonizers).

I liked the first chapters more.

>Adolf
By Tezuka, shows us the history of two friends called Adolf before, during and after WWII, (the most famous, and Veeky Forums favourite´s Adolf appears too, don´t worry, but he has a Jewish secret...) the two boys grow together in Japan: A Jew of German descent, and the son of a German diplomat and a Japanese woman.
Funnily enough the narrator is a Japanese guy who manages to survive a lot of bad stuff.

>Lone Wolf and Cub
Well, the action is over the history, but is a great manga to get introduced/acquainted to Tokugawa´s Japan.

There is a series of French Comic books about their Kings and Queens when they are badass enough. I think that I have seen pics from one about Philip the Fair in this site, and I have seen the one about Isabella of France in stores.
I said "theirs" but some readers may identify some characters as not that French, like Eleanor of Aquitaine.

>Gloutons & Dragons
>Golden Kamui
>Emma

Excellent taste my friend

Scipio to Hannibal

Frankly he was retarded to follow that old guy, smelled like a spy from a mile away

Was it based on something that actually happenned?

Short but enjoyable, if a bit shallow

>Herodotus was the first historian,
Know historian*

Mesopotamia had historians

Stalin vs Hitler. I dont have link but it is somewhere online.

Is it that one that was ordered by Versailles to promote itself to Japan?

Yup, they're selling it in the castle's shop too

>people will draw whole comics of this retarded shit but not pregnant Anne Frank

>I offered you friendship adolf
nonsense, both sides regarded the molotov ribbentrop pact as a temporary pause in hostilities so they could build up strength for the inevitable war. Hitler just struck much earlier than Stalin predicted.

From Hell. It's obviously based on a conspiracy theory the authors don't even believe in, but there's a shitload of historical research put into it to make it sound plausible.

Also Northlanders but I don't know enough about Vikings to judge whether it's accurate.

Fucking farm. I wasn't able to go on
Maybe I could try again, but I don't even remember the chapter number.
Any user remembers?

Who knows?

Northlanders first story arc

I wanted to tease the OP and not tell him the source, you little fucker.

I know.

Fag.

Mad.

Thank you ! Here's a slightly older picture of my collection, before I bought my latest batch of manga.

Mostly excellent taste in different genres.
Mid 20-30's?

Again, great taste

I'll have to try Chiisakobe at some point

Female, mid-20, probably studying humanities and/or litterature

Nippur de lagash

An Argentine comic set in Sumer (3000-2000 bc)
It's old and can't be considered historically correct most of the time, but how many comics do you find on that same period?

It's great but didnt age well

Are you retarded? You answered your question inside your own question.

Wait really? All this time VS was about actual history I study and I never knew about it? Holy fuck am I excited to start reading this now.

>spice and wolf
>historical
user what

source?

feelsbadman

Would pay to read Anne's adventures in the postwar baby boom.

Vinland Saga and Vagabound

Retard.

>Hitler believed a delusional neet

>Knowing Hitler chased after weirder shit it seems plausible

he's right though

No he isn't. Stop believing memes and please don't force me to defend the fucking Turks of all people.

This, the sumerian king list counts as history, even if it has weird shit like kings living for decades

Mate the Romans built it. 15 seconds on google will literally prove him right.
I hate to break it to you but adding some minor structural modification and filling the interior with islamic art does not count as building the hagia sophia

>Manga
Do the Japanese like, ever, talk about WW2?
Only media I've found of theirs about it is that Yamato movie where everyone dies, and Ghibli-style "Hiroshima gets nuked from the perspective of a woman/kid" stuff.

All of varying levels of accuracy, sacrificing history for storytelling/humor, and nationalist masturbation.

Comics/BD:
Age of Bronze
Crécy
Asterix
Blueberry
Eagles of Rome
Fax from Sarajevo
Charley's War
Maus
Berlin
Battlefields
Gustav Vasa
300 (Yeah yeah I know)
Caligula
Corto Maltese

Manga:
Any of the many Sengoku period shit. I'm fucking sick of them honestly.
There's also weirdly a ton of stuff on 19th century France
Otoyomegatari
Vinland Saga
Thermae Romae
Cesare
Historie
Ad Astra - Scipio to Hannibal

He means the blue mosque, almost as good and big as the hagia sophia, but still inferior.

I managed to eat up farmland saga, it was kind of decent actually. After that I lost interest.

>why do burgers care about burger shit?

most of it just isn't translated

War Stories by Garth Ennis is nice

the real story is truly ridiculous
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Pujol_García

>spaniard angry about the way the civil war went and the rise of Nazism
>goes to the british embassy and says he wants to be a secret agent for them
>can't speak english or german
>they say they have no use for him
>goes to the german embassy and says he wants to be a secret agent for them
>they say yes and give him spy training
>give him money and tell him to go to UK and built a spy network
>actually goes to Lisbon and starts sending false reports using information on the UK he looked up in the library
>after his intelligence diverts a bunch of u-boats to hunt a nonexistent convoy british intelligence discovers his existence
>they bring him to the UK and start using him as a double agent
>at one point he had over 20 made up agents in his spy network
>he even made up a story about one of them getting killed while gathering intelligence and convinced the germans to give him more money so he could give his widow a pension
>germans never discovered he was a double agent and in 1947 one of his former handlers gave him an iron cross he had won for his spying

Your friend sounds like someone you should stick to talking about vidya with.

I have a similar friend when it comes to firearms
>dude 5.56 tumbles lol
>a .50 cal bullet will rip your arm off if it just passes near you
>dude why do you have an assault rifle, is that thing registered?

It's just best not to talk to someone so woefully ignorant about a subject you are knowledgeable in. Dunning-Kruger and all that.

Awful. It would've been more or less acceptable if it was a 2x2 comic that ends with giant ants.

shame it comes out so infrequently, flower of my heart part 3 wont be out until november

get your shit together avatar press

>giant ants aren't real
explain this photograph then

It's not really historical at all, it's basically Conan trying even less to hide the historical inspiration. Dago is way better and way more historical, even if it also takes some poetic license like making Vlad Tepes live during the time of Charlie and Sully.

>it's basically Conan
Try Slaine.

It's literally a copycat and they didn't even bother to build it far away from the original so people cannot automatically see that it's a bad copy.

Seconding this user's good taste

>Pujol
Classic catalan autism

>why do burgers give so much of a shit?
Because there are people who believe in that in our government.

They do a lot

Oh I knew the story but it's always fun to remember that it actually happened

this is a good post

They are too busy with crossed.

Decades you say!

No, not really. In fact, Stalin had several people killed for daring to tell him of German preparations for Operation Barbarossa; he was convinced that Hitler was his friend, and that any suggestion to the contrary was disinformation spread by British spies. He had a nervous breakdown when he realized that his good friend Hitler had, in fact, betrayed him... and the invasion progressed quite a bit in the absence of orders from Stalin.

He got over it eventually, of course, but a very great deal of initial advantage was lost to the Germans based on sheer disbelief that such a war would occur. There was unquestionably more strategic and tactical surprise in that front of the war, than there was in, say, the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour.

Citation: dailyhistory.org/How_did_Joseph_Stalin_react_to_the_German_invasion_during_WWII?

Did Stalin actually talk like Sean Connery?

>thinking the slaughter and slavery of celtic men, women and children on a grand scale isnt a bad thing
Its called empathy bro, Caesar was a bit of a cunt

they were Frenemies

No. He spoke with a Georgian accent; listen to him here: quora.com/Did-Josef-Stalin-speak-Russian-with-a-Georgian-accent

The original comic, however, was written in Russian, and the writer wrote him with an accent; one of the translation attempts wrote his speech with an accent in an attempt to convey that. The annotated translation, at dsss.be/hitler-vs-stalin/index.php did not do this.

Best ship ever

damn, can you even imagine being one of those people

I figure they must have been hardcore communists themselves.

>
great one.