Whats the best Pagan faith and why is it late Celtic?

Whats the best Pagan faith and why is it late Celtic?

Other urls found in this thread:

draeconin.com/database/celtreli.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have no idea but I'm sure you're dying to tell us.

There is no god but Allah

implying it's not the one still in practice with a large following.

Also Norse paganism is what Celtic paganism wants to be.

Paganism is a social construct.

Which is why its a superior system. They can translate into eachother through interpretation, adoption and regionalization of gods. Genius system.

Eh, the Norse and Celtic mythologies are pretty divergent with drastically different themes. The Norse seem to focus much more on heroic accomplishment and in apocalyptic conflict, while the Celtic legends are much more about the inevitability and eternity of the cycles of nature and life. Celtic gods tend to be much more representative of forces of nature and conditions of man to be feared, while Norse gods tend to be paragons of virtue or vice to be respected or shunned. The Celtic tend more the world writ large, while the Norse are more man writ large.

Not that you can't draw parables between a few stories or that they don't have some similarity and indeed bleed over in some structures, nor that there are no Celtic heroic legends, but each is an entirely different approach to man's interaction with the world. In some ways, it's even more blatant than the difference between say, Buddhism and Christianity.

I think what he meant was its only paganism if you look at it strictly through an Abrahamic lens. Everywhere else its just called local religion.

we all know its the greek one

where can i read reliable sources about celtic myths and religion?

everyone knows about Greek and Norse ,Egyptian and even Hindu mythology . Because there are texts and narratives that tell you about the identities of Gods, their modus operandi, and how they interact with mortals.

Slavic and Celtic mythology don't seem to have some recognized text that gives you a narrative on their Gods, it also didn't help that these cultures did not have a writing system.

I always thought it was silly how people called themselves 'pagan' or 'heathen' it smacks of discontinuity, or a lack of connection to those particular traditions

Because European paganism which is what Westerners are familiar with was almost completely eradicated and only small fragments reach us. Anyone who claims to be a "pagan" is almost certainly an edgy LARPer.

Greek religion come from phoenician religion

Melqart is hercules in greek

>Greek religion come from phoenician religion
No, it doesn't.

Weird that germanics didnt make kingdoms with their paganism as state religion, they all converted to christianity

It would have been interesting, just look at other tribes like turkic and mongols

hinduism isnt even pagan, it's pretty much bahaiism at this point

The key is literacy, the a huge reason the Abrahamic religions survived and spread like they did, and Hinduism and Buddhism to an extent is that they were preserved through literacy or had a literary basis to their beliefs e.g. Tanakh, Pali canon etc

>just look at other tribes like turkic and mongols
they all converted to islam, all their dynasties were islamic

except the mongols i guess

The Celtic peoples who maintained either their political or linguistic identities (such as the Gaels in Ireland and Scotland, the Welsh in Wales, and the Celtic Britons of southern Great Britain and Brittany) left vestigial remnants of their ancestral mythologies, put into written form during the Middle Ages, and there's various third party contemporary accounts that still survive, so it's not as if we have nothing. Even if a lot of it has been washed with Christian mythology, plenty of stains can still be gleaned beneath the paint over.

Granted, we're really talking about several different religions here, as the Welsh were about as different from the Irish as they were from the Romans, and even from era to era, Iron age and Bronze age cultures were likely, similarly, vastly different from one another.

Fair starting point:
draeconin.com/database/celtreli.htm

>best Pagan faith
You're gonna have a hard time separating pagan religions. Where does one pantheon start and another end? It was more of a spectrum. Romans and celts shared gods. Greeks and semites did the same. Not to mention how the concept of interpretatio was common to literally every indoeuropean culture, confusing shit even more.

> Slavic gods
> no Radegast "the beer dude"
stop

>Norse gods tend to be paragons of virtue or vice
Confirmed for having no idea what you're talking about. The Norse deities are all flawed just like every other pagan pantheon. Odin is basically a drunken murder hobo and even the "bad" god Loki saves the day occasionally. The closest you get to a pure good aesir is Baldr but he is useless and gets killed by a mistletoe. All pagan pantheons are based on people and the deities reflect human flaws, part of the reason Christianity was able to make inroads is because it presented a God who was truly otherworldly and unlike humanity.

Am I the only one who gets triggered when folks say Norse paganism and not Germanic?
It ignores Anglo-Saxons, other West Germanics like Franks, East Germanics like Goths, all in favor of ONE ethnicity of many.

Radegast wasn't a god. The town was named Radegast (Radogosc?).

>Loki saves the day occasionally.
>occasionally
More often than not, it was Loki who had to fix shit.
Also, while Loki is known for deceiving nature, it was Odin who was known as the Oathbreaker.
And depending on the version of sagas, Baldr may not be as nice as we known him as, depending if his wife wasn't supposed to be Hoenir's actually.
Out of all of them, Tyr was the most honourable, and likely things would be better if Tyr and Fenrir would bro out, instead of letting Odin sperg out and help with creating self-fulfilling prophecies.

>that pic
im loling

It does, greeks borrowed many Phoenicians gods

But at first they were pagan

The classical greek pantheon is a combination of Phoenician and Mycenaean mythology.

I don't know if you can really calk it up to that, when Theodosius I declared Christianity the sole religion of the roman empire and ordered all pagan temples shuddered the Egyptian religion was effectively dead within 2 generations without any significant pushback at all. This despite the fact that it was at the time the oldest religion in the world, had an enormous literary tradition, and in fact the temples were also the schools that taught how to read hieroglyphics. When the priests were all gone 50 years or so later the knowledge of how to read the ubiquitous writing on Egypt's thousands of monuments was lost with them.

I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that these temples were all built to run with state funding, and the people themselves weren't particularly pious. When Emperor Julian tried to revive the Greek Pantheon he was surprised to find how little enthusiasm there was.

it is rather interesting to me that a culture which seems to have been quite obsessed with notions of fealty and honor would have a head god who was not really a person worth following.

Hello Veeky Forums I'd like to order 1 redpill extra large on slavic mythology with greentext on it

Wasn't it named after the town because Slavs kept holding feasts there annually, but since they had no writing and the statues were made out of wood there is no way of knowing the true name of the deity and so they named it after the place?

borrowing =/= comes from
english borrows heavily from latin but it’s not a romance language

You would probably have better luck with a pink pill

You know what i mean, cuh

I think a lot of that honor and fealty stuff is romantic revisionism. Yes oath breaking was a big deal but pagan Germanic culture was essentially opportunistic in the sense that if chief could no longer provide his warriors rings they would abandon him and seek their fortunes elsewhere. Pagan Germanic fealty was basically "what have you done for me lately" as opposed to some unbreakable bond.