Best president

Hey Veeky Forums who do you think is the best president, or at least your favorite? I'm partial to James K Polk. He started and won the Mexican American War but also peacefully negotiated the Oregon Boundry Despute. He also lowered tariffs, much to the chagrin of protectionists

Not a fan of imperial presidents so not Polk.
I like Coolidge for his principles and wicked sense of humor.

Polk is such a pseud choice

It's not imperialism it's Manifest Destiny. I also admired Polk for keeping his word of only serving one term, he didn't seek re-election. Even though this fractured the democrats and probably lost them the next presidency. And Coolidge was a good president, sound fiscal policy.

>Finished a war he started
How many POTUSs can claim that?

>he didn't seek re-election
he was literally dying you brainlet. it wasn't some principled cincinnatus retreat back to the family farm, he was ill and would end up dying a scant few months after he left office.

>It's not imperialism it's Manifest Destiny
What’s the difference?

It was a campaign pledge. He didn't run for president while suffering from Cholera.

/thread

Basically started the war without the approval from Congress by moving the troops into disputed territory.
When is starting an aggressive war acceptable is debatable.

>campaign pledge
you say that like it was a promise to the people and not part of the backroom politicking that got him nominated in the first place

I think he got nominated because no other democrat got the majority. First darkhorse.

Andrew Jackson and James Madison. They are the only presidents who saw the evils of central banking and removed the blighted institution from our borders.

Ah James Madison. Started an unnecessary war that nearly destroyed his country. What a lad.

The only real losers in the War of 1812 were the Indians

Goddammit

FPBP

>Started an unnecessary war that nearly destroyed his country.
Par for the course for most Presidents. America is a warlike nation.

should've ran for a second term

We had a second chance to get Cuba and we didn't take it. The Platt Amendment had Polk rolling over in his grave

You forgot 54°40' or fight.

canada doesn't deserve to exist 2bh
mexio at least could serve a purpose as buffer state from the south americans

Terrible borders. Continental USA is aesthetic af