What went wrong?

what went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The Vikings dumbass.

this, harald hardrada and his brother tostig dealt some damage to his army before he went south to deal with william in hastings

Normans reeeeeeeeeeee

The French killed those who were with Horold
And the English turned in flight

The good side lost

Saxons/Angles/Danes had shit cavalry.
Normans/Franks had great cavalry.
Cavalry wins battles.
Normans won.

they had more numbers and were on top of a hill tho

Lmao
Just how cowardly can one island be?

just how effective was norman cavalry against the shield wall though? Remember that this is before the invention of the lance, so the cavalry would just be riding up to them, tossing some javelins over the shields, then riding back to get more javelins.

What precludes Norman cavalry from using spears from horseback?

>dude horses lmao

It didn't need to be effective against a shieldwall when the shieldwall breaks up to chase the cavalry like retards

>invention of the lance

Its just a long stick with a pointy end for poking
Were old people that dumb?

That Bitch killed the Strong king leading to infighting

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance

You dumb fucking asshole. Check out the first image in the article. The fucking Bayeux Tapestry depicts Norman Knights wielding lances. 'Before the invention' my ass.

Nothing, good guys (french) won.

equal and opposite reaction -- the hard part is not getting thrown off your horse from the resistance of your target

Is it just me or is this the dumbest battle of the Medieval Ages?

It's literally just a fucking shoving match.

>Archers go first and pepper enemy.
>Not effective.
>UPHILL CAVALRY CHARGE
>Repelled
>Infantry Charge
>Repelled. Bits of Saxons chase Normans.
>Normans BTFO Saxons. But shield wall is up there.
>Kept on charging shield wall.
>Battle lasts the whole fucking day.

Its dumb attrition.

I think he means couched lance, as opposed to stabbing down over-hand with a spear.

He literally said the horsemen's only option for attack was throwing javelins.

What a simplistic rendition of battle by a simpleton
The saxons had a shield wall and vastly superior infantry especially the huscarls on top of a superb position
The Normans attack were beaten back every single time but the blundee was when the Saxons peeled of their forces to charge at the retreating Normans every time and get rekt
This is partly due to Harold not knowing the battlefield situation and the commander of the right flanks being dead
The Saxons wouldve stand strong if they just made like a rock

Maybe its exageration, I think a lot of english history from that period is embellished nonsense made up to set the victors as being overcoming insurmoutable odds.

The Saxons were probably caught out encamped on a hill by the normans.

Harold ordered his men to stay put. William getting his horse shot out from under him tricked the shield wall into breaking because they thought the Norman army was in retreat (and to be fair, the breton column was) and attempted to rout the fleeing Normans, getting routed themselves in the process when William turned out to still be alive. Whether or not this was good fortune or "good fortune" on the part of the Norman army is hard to say.

cheeky willy trolled his way to victory by only pretending to retreat

As an aside, the elite huscarls did in fact "stay put". It was the frydmen that abandoned their favorable position and pursued the Normans.

It gets even funnier when, like me, you recently did a deep dive on the document and then you remember how Monty Python and the Holy Grail also takes place (circa) 1000 AD. Then all that you can hear when looking at that part of the artifact is Graham Chapman as King Arthur: "RUN AWAY!! RUN AWAY!!1"

>swears an oath of fealty
>takes the crown anyway
>was English

lol nope

>Implying that the fyrd that fought at Stamford was the same fyrd that fought at Hastings

19th century historians called and want their meme back

>calling 11th century French "Franks"

Franks ceased to exist in the 9th century senpai
It's like if someone called 21st century Germans "Prussians"

I'd say they stopped existing in the 13th when Philip Augustus stopped calling himself King of the Franks like all of his predecessors.

Please stop feeding the frankretard.

>I'd say they stopped existing in the 13th when Philip Augustus stopped calling himself King of the Franks

No retard, the Franks ceased to exist when the French and German people were born out of them (9th century)
Just because the French LARPed as Franks until the 13th century doesnt mean they were still Franks

I bet you also think the HRE was the Roman Empire

against a shield wall what other option is there

that was definitely one of the issues that lead to their loss I think, if he had used the experienced fyrdmen from the previous battle it probably would have bone better. But the structure of such an army made that impossible as they would only fight in the territory near their farms.

Well that's rather rude. It however does not change the fact that a frank is a frank.