Why are Orthodox so shit at art?

Why are Orthodox so shit at art?

maybe they associated realism with paganism or something

They didn't, your eyes just suck

It's stylistic choice.

They were meant to be iconic, not realistic.

When Euros drew realistic portraits of Chinese emperors they didn't like it. They liked traditional style

That was a big reason for it honestly.

>Bible says you shouldn't engage in idolatry and openly worship.
>Does the complete opposite.

I like it

>telling the people who wrote the bible what the bible means

The OT is a spook. OT God is the Demiurge.

Pretty sure the Jews wrote the bible.

Only the retarded parts.

this, real christians don't give a shit about the old testament

So you're saying the entire O.T. and most of the N.T. is retarded? Wow, edgy.

The whole of the human race is retarded. It stands to follow their God would be too.

Nigga please

>Westerncucks copy Ancient Greek art
>then have the audacity to insult the art of the very same people who they borrowed their art from
Really carbonates my cranium.

The entire medevil period marks a point of arstistic decline, it starts picking up a little once you get to the high medevil period.

Orthodox art is actually the BETTER art of the period. The characters are stiff, rigid, and unattractive but at least they drawn somewhat competently. The stuff from the Western part of Europe can't even get the basics of perspective and anatomy right, failing things that the Classical period had already mastered centuries ago.

Jewish much?

Partly that, but also because, with religious icons, the fear was that if they portrayed people realistically, they might encourage passions (remember the famous statue that sailors tried to wack it on? They were worried people might try that with icons).

what statue

I forget the name of it, but it was a famous statue of Venus that sailors were famous for trying to masturbate to, and one even succeeded in copulating with it.

Those 13th-17th century sketches suck compared to traditional water painting. Daoist values also emphasize landscapes over individual people in paintings.