What is this early 90s aesthetic called? Why did it exist?

What is this early 90s aesthetic called? Why did it exist?

It looks like a gauche kitsch fluff imitation of modern art abstractions with neon coloring and polygon like 3d.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YcsYSJwewWk&t=1447s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis_Group
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Proto-vaporwave.

>90s aesthetic called?
No idea.
>Why did it exist?
I suspect it came about from designers having access to early graphic design programs.
These programs allowed the user to drop shapes of any dimension into an image without the need to draw them by hand. An unremarkable feature today of course but a dick-hardening toy for designers back then.

youtube.com/watch?v=YcsYSJwewWk&t=1447s

Do more research on it, in 7 years it will be considered actual history.

Funky Fresh

It's called Memphis and it's really more of an 80s thing, that bled into the early 90s.

>draw them by hand.
This is not how designers worked before Photoshop. They used stuff like Screentone and Letraset and the oldschoolers still do sometimes.

sauce on tv guy/\?

>tfw you remember this

There's a McDonald's in Plano, Texas, that looks very much like the OP, or at least it used to in my childhood in the 90s.

Crazy how bus seats have used that style for decades and now it's been long enough that it's in vogue again.

this poster is right and everyone ignored him.
what was cutting edge in the early 80s was TacoBell-tier in the early 90s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis_Group

it's called pop art, it was big in the 50's and had a resurgence during the 80's.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis_Group
holy shit this is awful though

Do they make bus seats as uncomfortable as possible to prevent hobos from sleeping on them? Cause it doesn't work.

Steve Ditko was doing this in comic books in the 1960s, by the way

It looks bad as furniture but great in graphic design.

The style is called 'Memphis Design' and it's actually mid 80's. It started out as avant garde furniture.

>Why did it exist?
Its really hard to explain but it made sense at the time. It was both funky and fresh.

Real answer? Hip hop culture I guess...

The late 80s and early 90s were just MOAR COLOUR.

Colour goes in waves anyway. The fifties were drab, then the late 60s came along and jazzed it all up. Then the seventies became brown, then it picked up again in the 80s. It's fashion, I suppose.