What caused the nationalism that was seen in the 18th and 19th century...

What caused the nationalism that was seen in the 18th and 19th century? From what I understand ethnicity and shit wasn't as big a deal in the Middle Ages and little bit later. Was it rulers trying to consolidate their power better and it went too full retard?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_census_of_1921
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It wasn't started by the rulers but by the people, and nationalism was inherently a left wing ideology initially. Rulers wanted to suppress it early on (Metternich etc) and they only exploited it after the 1840s nationalist revolts swept Europe.

I thought it really got kicked off in France and England considering they were the first two nation states.

Higher literacy rate, generally more education, restrictions and censorship especially after the Congress of Vienna, better living conditions (meaning people could worry about stuff like nationalism)

In the middle ages, Renaissance and early modernism the rulers were absolute monarchs and had more power than during the rise of nationalism, also people had worse living conditions. The rulers just had their land and didn't care if their subjugates were X or Y nationality.

How the unification of Germany failed.

> From what I understand ethnicity and shit wasn't as big a deal in the Middle Ages
Then you don't understand much it seems

Should be closer to "BISMARCK YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE!"

I recently read a book extracted from Montaigne's Les Essais (~1580).
At one point in there, he mentions how stupid are all those French travelers who condemn the fashions and habits they see as barbarous on account that they are not french.
Then he concludes by saying that he, and he implies that it is an uncommon thing, considers all humanity as his brothers and would embrace a German as soon as a Frenchman.

It seems like a proof to me that nationalism didn't just appear our of the blue in 1812.

Also he uses nation to mean people of one country.

>Industralisation
>New Social and Economic issues
>Clarification of what a state is
>Relation of Estates and Classes
>Conflicts,Literature,Borders,Religion and Language
>History lieng behind that period
>Increasingly strong Empires,less smaller states,new Propaganda and new types of rulers
>First time where normal People could think about what the place they live in is actually worth to them
>War
>France
Basic Breakdown.

As in Bavarians were one people, or all Germans one people? Would they distinguish between Germans and Czechs, or would it be Germans and Austrians? Or all as citizens of the HRE?

You're thinking of a different kind of nationalism. When people say that nationalism appeared with the French Revolution they mean nationalism as a mass movement.

In the same page he talks about gascons and Sicilians, and about the French and the Turks.

Can't you think of examples of times and events when this feeling of belonging moved masses people before the 19th century ?

The 18th and 19th centuries were the period of time where the average person started to become literate and thus started to take a greater importance in politics.

By this logic Germany should have Switzerland or else it's not truely complete.

Mostly the French Revolution. Before that, in a legal sense, a "nation" consisted only of the elite. Then came the notion of equalité, and every French citizen became a part of it.

American Revolution, maybe?

But identification with nation came largely as a result of education. Illiterate peasants didn't know about national symbols, national history or national heroes. In some places they didn't even know their own ethnicity.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_census_of_1921

>"local"
>38.943
Almost 40.000 people without clear national identity in 1921.

Napoleon's client states like the Rhine and the Kingdom of Italy led to those groups seeing themselves as a more unified group rather than the tons of different states they were before.

>It seems like a proof to me that nationalism didn't just appear our of the blue in 1812.

Even I read history of some of our ruler , Louix 11, he refused to fight the britanny army in brittany because he tought that the populace would have helped britany army.

In the war of "the bien comun"

>Illiterate peasants didn't know about national symbols, national history or national heroes
Seems doubtful to me. Illiterate people still love stories.

Can you fucking stop using the same lowres image on all your threads?

I wasn't going to download another image just for this thread

Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

You're a homo

>nationalism
>ethnicity

First attempts at crafting a pangerman narrative were already attempted during the renaissance by german humanists who already started using Arminius as a figure of identification.
It was a slow and long process which culminated in this:

The Freemasonry needed something to mobilize the people against the Church and the aristocracy.

Once they prevailed, they got rid of it, and it was picked by those defeated elements from before.

Can't blame (((them))) go after the masons

we, like, share the same language lmao XXDDD