Nature of war

Is religion the main cause of war?
If not, what is?

According to your bar graph it's not

"No"

OP here:
I am not arguein it is, it's a genuine question.

Religion wasn't a major factor in WW1, WW2, or the Cold War, and those three conflicts resulted in more deaths than all other wars combined.

Literally no one argues that religion causes wars.
It did cause one of the most destructive wars in the 30 Years War.

Usually not solely. Any time people with different religions fight with each other religion will be a part of it, though.

Religion cannot cause a war because religion is not a living thing. Government effectively is.
You have to presuppose a god to say that religion can cause a war, or a living cult leader, though the latter is a bit dubious, that is if it counts as 'religion'.
No, it does not matter if those in action believe that there is or are gods. That's like saying that a government war can be started by a tiny irrelevant militia deciding to raid a neighboring nation's government building. They are part of the nation ('religion') and claim to be fighting for its sake (God's sake), but there is no certainty to that.
Religion cannot cause war. Stop deluding yourself athecuck.

Territory/resources. Animals fight each other too.

What about the crusades?
I'm asking the reason why nations went to war.
By that definition, no wars were caused by territory, because it is not a living thing.

Nigga what. Is this some convoluted way of saying the crusaders or ISIS aren't true believers so they don't count? Religion isn't the main factor in wars but to try to say it is never a cause is retarded.

That's for land, not religion. Whether that land is deemed sacred or not is irrelevant.
In addition, because religion/government was blurred, and government has an active and known head while religion requires fidelity, it can only be blamed on government.
Learn to read, Tyrone.
It means that YOU PERSONALLY must believe in a god or gods for 'religion' to be a cause.
It cannot be a cause. Perhaps you should READ THE FUCKING POST to see why I believe this.

Human nature
/thread

Doesn't exist you stupid anthrocuck
/thread

The vast majority of people go about their lives without killing anyone, how is it human nature to kill and go to war?

Retard alert

You are bending the definitions an taking a lot of liberties there, my question is, why did goverments go to war?

greed
but to be more specific, money

Not proporgionally

So religion is like a gun? Religions don't kill people but makes it infinitely easier?

>implying humans aren't products of genetically determined urges

Humans have an innate urge to be fascinated and even be a participant violence. Just because most people don't act on it these days doesn't meant the capability isn't there. Religion dogma is just the means (until the last 200 years) in which we organized ourselves to commit violence on a large institutional scale

>implying ideologies aren't just secular religions

People are trained by their experiences, if they are told their particular religion is the only true faith, and others are pagan and infidels,they are more inclined to fight the "other" and take their land for the "greater good"

>/threading yourself

Yes it's natural for different groups of people to have conflict but what causes the conflict.

t. illiterate anthrocuck
No I'm not. Please learn to read instead of trying to find some hidden linguistic demon like the anal autistic you are.
No, religion is not like a gun. A gun is a concrete object, so it does kill and shares the blame with the causing object. No, it does not make war 'easier'. It has no affect on war.
Genetics are nonsensical STEMspergery. They do not exist.
Wrong.

>how is it human nature to kill and go to war?
The potential is there it doesn't mean every group or person will be violent at the first opportunity

>dude everything is religion!

As if religion wasn't already a broad enough definition, it's time to stop.

Natural selection.
Groups that got organized when resources(women/food/gold) are scarce were the ones that were successful in propagating their genes or cultures/religions/language. The ones that didn't died out. (See Maori and Moriori)

ever notice how people who use words like "genetically determined" and "innate" to argue their bullshit form of hard determinism never have anything to back their assertions but sputter? Go study monoamine oxidase and how it impacts human emotion and get back to me before you fill the air with this nonsense.

>genetics are nonsensical STEMspergery
KEK opinion discarded

>Genetics are nonsensical STEMspergery. They do not exist.

>muh eboboboboboblulushun
>more anthrocuckery
kys your self
DONT YOU DISAGREE WITH ME YOU FUCKING WHITE MALE

Okay, you are just trolling, you didn't even answer my question, why do goverments go to war?
You also deny facts, so everything you say is invalid and irrelevant after you denied that genetics exist, simply because saying that is the same as saying the sky is not blue, it is utterly irational and retarded.

>implying
Individuals with more active MAO proteins were selected for because they used violence to access resources and gain social status and therefore their genes were more likely to spread

Religion caused the 30 Years War in the same way that Saddam's weapons of mass destruction caused the Iraq War.

I said study it. Not shitpost at me. Go on. Close Veeky Forums, and do some research. Put your nose to the grindstone and then come back.

>ANYBODY WHO DISAGREES WITH ME IS TROLLING HOW DARE PEOPLE ARTICULATE OPINIONS THT I DONT LIKE
>FACTS ARE LE FACTS
Jesus fuck its like everybody on this board is fucking 15 and hasn't read a blip of philosophy.
The sky is not blue. >'m-m-m-m-mmuh fax'! won't change that.
>irrational
Wh do STEMspergs think 'rationality' is valid? You do realize that all those ideologues that promoted it so believed it was valid ONLY because God made it so, right?
Without that axiom, it loses any authority.
Since then, every single argument has been 'muh practicality' or 'muh utility' which is just a tautology.

>implying I haven't already
>implying I don't have a background in biochemistry

Fear.

It is not a question of philosophy, genetics is a fact that can be observed in nature, tested and used to create things, it's how we determine so many things, how would you explain genetic diseases? for example.
I don't know if it's the same troll, but you still haven't answered my question, why do governments go to war?

To clarify
>the sky is blue
Implies that the sky and the blue are equivalent. False.
>the sky is coloured blue
This implies that the sky has properties. This is a metaphysical supposition that must be defended. No, 'it just werks!' is not a defence.
You're conflating a logical statement
>the 'sky' is said to be -coloured- 'blue'
with an empirical reality. Again, this supposes much, all of which conflicts with scientism.
Two biochemistry courses is not a 'background' you fucking adolescent.

Literally a war between two catholic dynasties.

>le fax!
This is a matter of philosophy.
>anything i dont like is le troll
This is not an argument.
>genetics is a fact that can be observed in nature, tested and used to create things, it's how we determine so many things, how would you explain genetic diseases?
More suppositions.
No, it is not observed. You have never observed genetics. Nobody has.
>determine
>MUH UTILITY
Not a defence.
>genetic diseases
Don't exist.

This board is fucking pathetic. Go back to fucking Veeky Forums with your basic bitch inclarity.

>but you still haven't answered my question, why do governments go to war?
Because I've already answered it, and it is irrelevant.
Also, governments don't actually go to war. Be clear or stop posting.

Instead of shitposting why don't you actually critique the original argument faggot

Ok, how about, the light refraction in the atmosphere causes the human eye to perceive earth's sky with blue coloration during the day?

>Go back to fucking Veeky Forums
Different boards are just a spook. I don't accept the admins presupposed categorizations of subsections of this website.

>shitposting
I'm not.
Perhaps you should read, or actually get past high school. What I am doing is rebutting every point of your 'argument' one by one. My tone ought to be irrelevant. Perhaps you should stop being fallacious (I know you can't, you children always get pissy with tone because you don't actually have an argument) say, grow up.
>light refraction
Supposition
>blue coloration
Subjective quality, or not a quality at all. Pick one, either way you're fucking wrong.

&humanities can't really argue, that's why this board is shitflinging 99% of the time.

top trolls my man

Main cause of war is some one else has something you want, and you think you are strong enough to take it.

Religion, politics, etc is just window dressing

Not proof, not an argument.
>anything i dont like is le trolling
Back to plebbit please.

Ok, so how do we determine if an organ is gonna be accepted by a transplan patient? how is blood type determined? what is down syndrome?
Just denying the existence of genetics and genenic diseases is not an argument whatsoever, stop argueing like a child, bring facts to the table, I don't care whether you believe in genetics or not, that doesn't change the world, doesn't change anything, it continues to exist, whether you deny it or not

Oh look, more suppositions!
>facts
Don't exist.
>continues to exist
Wrong, it does not exist thus it cannot continue to exist. To counter: just because you think it exists doesn't mean it does.
Holy shit, Veeky Forums is just another /b/.

You haven't answered, actually. it is not irrelevant, since it is the main question of this thread.
You are the one that said goverments are the ones to blame for wars, why is that, explain your points, you are just saying meaningless garbage, also, you are having no effect on me, so you fail at even being a troll.

Sorry kiddo you have to lay out a proper explanation of genetics for me to even consider it as anything other than a spook.
>down syndrome
spook
>blood types
spook
>facts
actually a spook
>world
spook
>table
spook
>exist
spook

Yes yes everything you dislike is this word a dead german philosopher told you and that makes it not apply :(

Now go jump off a building in the pretense that gravity is a spook.

Oh, I get it, you are retarded, so stuck up your own ass that you can't understand how other fields of study work, anyway, I would say that you can observe and test how light refraction works, but you wouldn't understand that anyway.

>wah I'm smug and arrogant because I have no argument whatsoever. I automatically assume everyone else is intellectually inferior because I have no self worth that isn't tied to my so called intellect and academic achievements
Your opinion is worthless desu senpai. Did I ever say genes were everything? No, I'm saying genes affect human nature and are acted upon by natural selection like all genes are.

If facts don't exist, all debates are irrelevant and utterly meaningless, if you believe that, please, stop wasting the time of people who are over and done with their teenage years.

I have answered, actually. Read the thread, plebbitor.
It is irrelevant because it has nothing to do with MY POST
This is how this website works, topic is dynamic. You want to know how I can tell you're a redditor?
>meaningless garbage
If you're a stupid teenager, then sure.
Not an argument.
Why are you so triggered by challenge? Because you cannot defend yourself?
Child, I have way more science education than you.
It's garbage.
>observe
No, you can't. You don't actually observe anything related to what you claim
>test
Based upon presuppositions, following presuppositions.
>All cookies are black, so this cookie is black
That is how your epistemological cancer works.
No, genes don't exist. Natural selection doesn't exist. Human nature doesn't exist.
I do have an argument, perhaps you should read.
You're projecting like a sad teenager. Stop.
>intellectual achievement
This doesn't even fucking mean anything.

Really nice way to deal with "nihilists", I'm gonna steal that, if you don't mind.

>this is what STEMspergs believe
Holy shit, you really are trapped in 16th century ideology.
Nobody here besides me is past their teenage years. I can tell just by your rhetoric and writing in general.

You are just dodging every argument by saying
>i dun think yu ahrgomets exest
and claiming victory by fleeing from every argument
You keep saying, read the thread, because you just want us to waste out time, if you ahve actually answered my question, mark your post with the answer, if not, stop being a broken record.

>Is religion the main cause of war?
No and neither is culture in general.
>If not, what is?
Political and economical considerations. People fight for their continued survival and the fulfillment of their needs. It all boils down to something as simple as wanting safety and a good life.
War is a rational endeavor and that's what separates it from simple killing. Scarcity causes wars, not unsavory human traits.

I'm not dodging at all, stop being intentionally illiterate.
>waste our time
No child, I answered your question. Stop being a newfag, you can't sort by best here.

I see you have not ceased your broken record behaviour, two can play at that game.
You have fled from every argument by simply saying you don't believe anything exists and that we are presuming things exist to base our arguments and calling everything suppositions and spooks.

>by simply saying you don't believe anything exists
Wrong.
Are you fucking Mexican or something? How can you have this poor of reading comprehension?

>People fight for their continued survival and the fulfillment of their needs.
This is correct on a simple level, but tell me, if a religion launches a crusade and send hundreds of people to take a persons land, who is going to win?

Religion has a super-tribal aspect that can motivate masses to evil intent

>Religion has a super-tribal aspect that can motivate masses to evil intent
Wrong
>evil
Defined by what, by who? You? Fuck you, you aren't the arbiter.

You said facts don't exist, tell me then, what do you believe exists?

The edge is strong in this young one.

>religion is never tribal

>facts are ontological
What the fuck are you smoking?
>young one
I'm nearly 30.
People can be tribal, religion cannot. Stop anthropomorphizing nonhuman objects you stupid fuck.

>I'm nearly thirdy
oh, sorry, didn't know you were retarded

You think people never base their tribe off of their religion?

>facts are ontological
Who said that? you? fuck you, you are not the arbiter.

I didn't say that, and that is irrelevant.

How can you state that facts are ontological and treat that as facts, that hypocritical and nonsensical.

>People can be tribal, religion cannot.

I didn't say that facts are ontological. Learn to read
>nonsensical
MUH RAISINS
Fuck off, there is no deistic God who gave you 'muh raisins' as some sort of fucking compass. Physicalism and any statement supporting 'muh raisins' are incompatible.

Religion cannot have human qualities, or qualities at all. It's like saying religion can be 'white' or 'eastern'. It's nonsensical anthrocuckery. Anthrocucks can only justify themselves to muh emprah by writing up terrible metaphors comparing everything to 'muh hooman neighchurr' .

Neither have I, why did you bring it up in post:

>You're just edgy because you exposed my subversive intent to manipulate people's sense of justice.

You imply they are. You are now aware that there is more to communication that explicit statements.
>You said facts don't exist, tell me then, what do you believe exists?
This implies that facts constituate.

how does one become so completely ignorant of history? have you ever read a book?

everyone with a cursory understanding of history knows that wars are primarily caused by religion

the war could never have been launched to begin with without religion. talking about the first crusade here

oh, so you are not stating anything of value, got it, you just say wishy-washy nonsense that only has meaning for you so you can feel that you have won the argument when, in fact you are just acting like a spastic autistic retard.

Can you cite some sources, not doubting, but I haven't found anything to back that, that is the whole reason I made this thread to begin with, however it has been deluled into morons argueing over other subjects.

How is that relevant?
It couldn't have been launched without fucking continental drift or climate change. Are you about to blame those poor 'nonconscious' objects too?
Fuck off.
>anything i dont like isnt le valuable
STEMspergery, everybody.

wow, how long has it been since you vanished up your own arsehole?

>who is going to win?
Everyone inside the polity whose competitor was weakened. Even those that don't touch explicit benefits from the victory touch implicit benefits from the victory because they have to worry about one less competitor potentially overtaking their group and taking away their lives or livelihoods.
>Religion has a super-tribal aspect that can motivate masses to evil intent
It's a perfect substitute to other types of ideologies when it comes to generating jingoism. There can be war without religion, but there can be no war without a perceived threat to life or livelihood.

Ok, so you imply here that you believe in scientific phenomena such as continental drift and climate change, but then go on to speak against science, I see no contradictions here, everything is well and good. Solid argumentation there, friend.

>scientific phenomena

I don't claim to believe in them, I provide them as examples of hyperobjects. Whether I believe in them or not is irrelevant. Whether you do or nor is, and you do.

>(((Scientific))) (((Phenomena)))

All abrahamic religions are based on the belief that god has given the world to them, yes people are interested in money and hos for basic evolutionary reasons, but they also have a moral duty to follow the commands of their religion(s) leaders.

>don't believe in facts
>believes in skyfaries instead
retard/10
Phew, you're making more sympathetic to militant atheism by the minute

Why is it relevant that I believe in them and irrelevant that you do?