EY internship: How fucked am I

>be me, math major graduate
>apply to assurance audit intership in abu dhabi
>they send basic tests (english, math, logic)
>e z p z
> they send accounting tests
> don't know much about accounting desu
> do tests, end up googling most answers ( solutions online most of the time)
> get the internship
> by unknown force of the universe family member with contacts in EY knows about it
> I now have to go and do it

How fucked am i? How doable is learning basic accounting in a month and a half? Anyone ever did this internship or similar ? Any accountant with helpful advice ? Thanks

You know they have google in abu dhabi too right?

EY LMAO

> so user what do you think we should do about this case
> I take out my phone and start googling

Bump. Help me out Veeky Forums

as an intern they'll be willing to help you out and don't expect you to already know everything - don't sweat it

>be math graduate
I'm so sorry user, t. Physicist

You'll be fine, just bullshit your way through it. Interns do fuck all anyways.

The original EY

EY user Here. What do you want to know?

Worked there 5 years in SF. Finished at Manager.

Just fucking lol @ self-important faggots such as yourself. Stop making everything about you. Hundreds of thousands of people have been "managers" at ey. This isnt the thread topic

fag who never could get hired at EY

Not that guy, but OP specifically asks for experiences with internships there. I'd say it's relevant that the guy worked there.

Let me sum up an EY internship:

How to succeed:
>complete dog and pony show
>dress up nice, kiss ass to superiors
>ask questions
>work late even if you don't have work to do

Big 4 is a scam, hope you enjoy paperwork.

What made you qualified to get the internship? What did you apply with?

i studied accounting.

If you want to cram for an assurance internship, study the Audit section of the CPA exam. there are cram courses that can span a week.

Big 4 gives FT offers to 90% of their interns, the hard part is getting it in the first place. If you're not from Abu Dhabi, there's a good chance EY will pay for some of your housing/meals and shit. Absolutely do it if you want to work in accounting its a very cushy internship.

t. accounting fag who just started full time at a big 4

I kind of figured you studied accounting, I am too but I'm curious as to what gave you the edge

The competition for open intern spots is intense especially since I don't go to a fantastic university

The competition seems stiff but if you go to a big--name school and have >3.2 GPA and aren't a total sperg you're a shoe in. I went to the National intern training for the US and was surprised to find that most of the people aren't very exceptional or smart at all

ask lots of questions
study a lot about assurance stuff
you'll do fine

>what do we do
>not sure, Dave, do you mind if I review the case for a few minutes and get back to you?
>Google
>respond via email
Realistically though no one will expect you to know shit for 6-9 months at least. You're a grunt, you'll do the paper pushing equivalent of menial labor until you hit your 1 year review or you ask for more.
>Protip; if you don't ask for more work, your 1 year review will suck, and you might get fired

Take a deep breath and relax. People do not expect that much of you the first months. Things THAT ARE VERY IMPORTANT IN YOUR CASE:

- Make sure you come clean to work every day, fresh clothes, ...

- Make sure you arrive on a timely matter.

- Be polite to superiors and clients.

- Make sure your posture is suited appropriately for the workplace.

- Make sure you get some work done, don't work to slow.

- Make sure you make little/no mistakes when doing said work. Your superiors will have to take responsibility for that.

- Stay a bit later every now and then, do not leave first on a consistent basis.

- Respond to emails in a timely matter.

- Do not talk about your job on social media.

These points are very important, you being able to do your job well are less important. You will be given time to learn skills but you will be thrown out if you do not adhere to social norms. MAKE SURE YOU DO and you will be fine.

its easy. I did mine at a real b4 firm. EY is bb shit.

Thanks for the advices. I will start studying accounting soon, any good material to study from?

>What made you qualified to get the internship?

What I noticed is, every single person I know that got a job/internship at a big company got help from someone working there or someone with connections. It sucks but its the way it is, don't give up though, I'm sure its less a matter of "who do you know" outside of the middle east

Hey OP, I interned for EY for two summers and accepted a full time offer in their tax department that will start in Jan 2018. For some background, I live in New York and majored in accounting.

First internship was the summer after Sophomore year, it was primarily shadowing employees and rotating between their tax, assurance, and human resources department.
Second internship was the summer of Junior year and it was client serving specifically in the tax department.

In general, they don't expect you to know shit. I would say about 95% of what I learned in school did NOT transfer over to the work I was doing as an intern. They will literally give you easy meaningless tasks that most people without a degree could do. Majority of the internship will be based on getting you accustomed to their office environment, networking, and intern events.

I think you should definitely try and teach yourself some of the basics so you don't come across as an idiot, but there is no need to go overboard trying to learn everything.

Hope this helps, if you have any other internship related questions that are EY specific ask away.

No offense but, why even bother assurance auditing at this point?

why is that bad?

>big-name school

RIP, I'm at a low tier California state university, it's okay i always knew I'd amount to nothing

just work your way up
>intership, do well, get good reference

repeat process until you're in a good enough company for your taste

Thanks for giving me hope man, you're a good person

I'll start applying to mid tier firms soon

>working at a big 4

Isn't it better to work at mcdonalds? You're paid below average for your role and they work you like a dog. The only reason idiots stick around is 'muh prestige'.

also apply to the good stuff, you never know. My friend got a crazy job at a big firm just because they urgently needed someone

Planning on working for a year or two max. I'll be working and setting up my own business at the same time, and crypto on the side also obv.

>I'll be working and setting up my own business at the same time, and crypto on the side also obv.

good luck trying to watch a television show on the side. all my friends that work at the top 4 get home late almost every day

accountant here
As long as you know how to use excel you'll be fine. When I say that i mean really use all of its features to the fullest extent of the programs capabilities.

You'll probably pick up the accounting details. But your coworkers might think you're a retard. I worked with a transfer from china that worked like she never took an accounting class... working with her was miserable.

i work at pwc and if you already have the job, you'll be fine. my internship at a private firm was 1000x worse than anything i've experienced here. my manager was chinese and would just forward everything from the client directly to me with zero explanation

if you actually want to learn accounting, i'd recommend just buying becker as if you were studying for the CPA. people only """learn accounting""" because the degree is an easy in for b4