How has history changed your perception of humanity?

How has history changed your perception of humanity?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TT5u2xVEO5M
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I suddenly realized I am God's grandson.

There is no constants besides the need for food, water, shelter, sex, and domination. We are no better morally than the apes we evolved from, just smarter.

Humans are just hairless monkeys who believe that they are gods

Witnessing the history of the 21st century has shown that the plebs' warfare is an act of vengeance.

It makes me hate anyone from Europe

nice. im his stepson btw

Lol, those kids are retarded. I wasn't much better but hey, kids are fucking retarded.

Anyways, history gives me perspective on my daily life to learning about the context of philosophers I'm studying.

It shows similarities and differences between cultures, and gives me a holistic idea of humanity.

I told this to my little sister yesterday, funnily enough. If you're her, get the fuck off of Veeky Forums and go to sleep.

You don't need history to realize these things, but it certainly helps.

It reminds me that people in the past were as questioning as we are and had lives just as rich as ours, but it also reinforces that man is wolf to man.

>man is wolf to man.
never heard that one, I like it.

I've always had a holistic approach to things, so learning about the greeks, chinese, africans, native americans, middle eastern, indians, etc just made them seem more human rather than a distant hard-to-know past.

History gave me the ability to "holistify" humans as virtually same person simply living in different environment.

They've moved the chairs though. Now there's enough space for entire Chinese tourist groups to crowd around and take shitty photographs.

I become racist

against who?

The more I understand about what happened the more I god damn glad I'm here and now

Not sure people really know how bad things used to be 300 years ago

70% of people died before age 5
10% of births result in the death of mom
95% of people lived hand to mouth
2% of people were literate

That is to say if I had a time machine, I would not go back

Now we need to do to be happy, and alive, is click a bit

youtube.com/watch?v=TT5u2xVEO5M

That we can't live in global peace and prosperity until we have slaughtered each other into near extinction so many times that mankind eventually evolves into not being able to perform any kind of cruelty.

History doesn't progress in any one direction; anyone trying to claim historical inevitability like the gommies did or that you should be 'on the right side of history' are idiots.

It also helped give me an idea as to why we have the fundamental rights we do have and exactly how important they are.

Germans

Previously: everyone is the same
Now: everyone is different

While I don't necessarily disagree with some parts of some of these posts, the idea that these bottom of the barrel WikiWisdoms are somehow deep realizations is somewhat annoying.

I'm sure realizing the human race is a piece of flaming shit was a realization for you at some point too. Just because you've heard it for a long time now doesn't mean its any less deep for other people.

That's a pretty shallow view of humanity. Humanity is the sum of human experience. The horrors, the bliss, and all the middling in between.
It's easy to see humanity as nothing but shit if you wallow in it, and it's easy to blind yourself into believing that life is all happiness and rainbows by avoiding the shit.
So no, those aren't deep realizations, just the wallowing of the depressed, alienated losers on Veeky Forums, losers like myself. They're still failing to fully grasp the human experience.

Even if you can't experience the good parts of life, doesn't mean you can't understand them. If you just see all the people who do as blind, you're just digging yourself deeper.

People are gullible and easy to manipulate if they're in a state of hopelessness.

I could start a cult that claims some magic bastard carpenter born nearly two millennia ago that everyone already worships was in fact born in another country along with all of creation, use it as pseudo-nationalism, move to my own plot of land, and have all the women I could ever want.

Maybe I'll do it in Brazil. I'm dark enough and it's similar enough to Spanish.

Humans are apes with ape behaviors and emotions. They're right. Very few people even have their own thoughts, most people just regurgitate what they've already heard.

Nobody learn from history

Pretty much this. Good god it was all shit. Really makes me appreciate Western civilization (and civilization in general), the Enlightenment, the Industrial Revolution and modern science. Romanticism can go fuck itself.

I get your point about wallowing. That makes it worse. but humanity really is vile most of the time. I practice stoicism to counteract that, but it's an inescapable fact. Human nature is all about lusting and greeding and generally fucking others over.

yeah

Because Jesus the mexican garderner fucked ur mom?

Dutchfag here, they are on their phones because they are reading the theory/doing a quizz related to the artwork. They are obviously on a school trip.

That actually makes sense. Us oldfags forget that kids these days sometimes need their phones during school assignments.

However, maybe they are just retards.

>not being a Human exceptionalist

I do not imply we are descended from God or Gods, but find me a species capable of building fucking rocket to go on the moon and actually walking on it.

Mankind has every right and is entitled to everything, we just have to be smart enough no to kill ourselves with it.

Majoring in history has stuck me with this question: How the actual FUCK have we not ended ourselves?

>we just have to be smart enough
>can't even figure out quantum mechanics

I was not talking specifically about figuring quantum mechanics, but about using what we have which is everything and not mismanage it to the point of ending ourselves.

>not mismanage it to the point of ending ourselves.

If human *nature* doesn't change, ending ourselves will be a sad reality.

>going on about with muh nature

weak argument.

That it is preferable to not involve yourself in history's gears.

>find me a species capable of building fucking rocket to go on the moon and actually walking on it

The world's systems are very self-correcting and also all impermanent, including societies.

Grey scum

>Western
>civilization

No they aren't. You're just trying to supply a valid reason so we can't laugh at them, but that doesn't work when it's false you dumb butch-kike.

In what societies do brutal violence, rape, corruption, thievery, self-interest etc... not happen?

None. THAT'S human nature. If the very small minority of scientists, engineers, philosophers, and other intellectuals can't figure out a way to quell these urges, we are surely fucked as a perennial species. Because allowing those urges to dictate our actions, and they tend to always find a way to, is eventually going to lead to disaster, as it has throughout all history.

Refute me brehskie.

Vicious circle

Reminder that they are listening to a podcast-thing about the art they're nearby, they are not just "kids on their phones not looking at the art xD".

They're not wearing headphones.

That culutures are subjective, and that weapons are not.

Art is stupid
humans are evil
we all deserve to die
tanks are cool.

History made my irrational concern about Islamic infiltration of the West into an entirely rational concern about same.

Does that include you, because this entry level existentialism has been parroted ten million and ten times over by various brainlets. Humans being apes does not take away from their humanity. Also, everyone has their own thoughts, even if a good amount of them have overlap.
Take any two persons on the planet, no matter how similar, and have them enumerate every opinion they've ever had, and you will find no two exactly the same.
I'm sorry you're fed up by the fact that you can't find similar people to you, but that doesn't make you some invaluable adjudicator of the human condition.
>Humanity is vile most of the time
Categorically untrue. How is your life vile? Those who suffer the most don't get to whine about it on Veeky Forums. Most of Humanity is in the middle, some moderate good, some moderate bad.

To add to this, those who go on about how the world is all misery and despair ultimately want it to be.
They want to be the one special person who sees the world for what it truly is, and they want to make everyone else follow them. They want to make everyone suffer as they perceive themselves to.

They think they can break the human spirit by stating arbitrary facts like the fact that Humanity is a strain of animal, or that feelings have physiological origins, or other inanity.

History is for idiots.
'humanity' doesn't even fucking exist

Go back to plebbit please, modernist.

I suppose there's 2 ways to look at it, but I think it's made me optimistic or at least less alarmist about our future. No matter how bad things might seem now or how shitty things get it's really not any worse than any other era and somehow humanity has made it this far, so today's problems will probably be solved and forgotten like any other.

stop being islamophobic

We only been able do it quite recently

Not even smarter - we just have more knowledge.

historia magestra vitae est.

all that i've learned is that it's been a truly strange turn of events.

eheu i am a fool. magister*

Is that a neo nazzi

It made me realize that historically, democracy works best when people aren't constantly obsessed with politics all the time. And no I don't mean in the "keep the people ignorant" sense, it's just that when people don't think the world is in constant crisis, they tend to not make kneejerk voting decisions.

We're all mediocre, safe for a few individuals.

When you start to pick apart "why do I do X activity" and then compare it to other people and why you think they do what they do you realize that people are disturbingly similar. The reasons behind peoples actions, the purpose that their actions serve almost always boil down to the same things. Personality, reactions, ideas, etc.

It made me realize that all this can just fucking collapse and bring us into a dark age. History is not a constant upward trend.

*personality, reactions, etc. are all a result of the same basic motivations and synaptic systems

It made me realize Francis Fukuyama was wrong. Liberals, Whigs and Progressives can delude their selves all they want. All would it take for the current Liberal/Capitalist zeitgeist to end, is an economic crises on the scale of the Great Depression and the tiny fringe reactionary groups you see marching all the time will suddenly become the dominant party of your country. The current status quo we have been living under since World War 2 is completely and utterly unsustainable in the long term, and to suggest otherwise is dangerous utopian optimistic delusion.

>The current status quo we have been living under since World War 2 is completely and utterly unsustainable in the long term, and to suggest otherwise is dangerous utopian optimistic delusion.
This

Yeah well I'm his wife(male)

I arrived to the conclusion that Liberalism is the best ideology.

>Lol, those kids are retarded.
How so?

It's not religion but human nature what has ruined everything for everyone time and time again

Then you figure it out faggot

If it's so fucking easy why hasn't anyone else done it? Why hasn't any other form of life figured out quantum mechanics? Why hasn't any other form of life mastered the fucking lever and pulley arrangement?

Oh wait, its because mankind is the smartest and most advanced species on this planet and possibly in the universe.

Neck yourself nigger

That we should appreciate the differences between the cultures we have instead of leaving globalism roaming unchecked.

Also this And I started to hate anglos