Nihilism is so far the stupidest philosophy I have ever encountered. Prove me wrong

Note: I really mean nihilism, as in Rick and Morty or shitty emo middle schooler kind of nihilism, not "nihilism" as in actually existentialism. Think of the difference between how dumbasses interpret Nietzsche and Camus vs how Nietzsche and Camus actually were respectively.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/nihilism/comments/737k4f/in_a_nihilistic_universe_is_intelligence_also/
reddit.com/r/nihilism/comments/73axk9/how_to_cope_with_negative_feelings_in_nihilism/
reddit.com/r/nihilism/comments/735cd8/admitting_you_have_as_much_value_as_a_number_in_a/
reddit.com/r/nihilism/comments/733wu4/death_is_just_a_permanent_nap/
youtube.com/watch?v=oLGh0wOXeAU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Damn, nice point. Can't argue with that.

bugs... easy on the meaning of our existence.

>a teenage-tier philosophy is mediocre
wow OP you surely got me, i guess you also expect toddlers to be knowledgeable in advanced calculus

kek, no argument here

I got over nihilism after reading Atlas Shrugged.

Dammit, I asked for you to find a way to convince me that nihilism has a point, not reinforce mine!

It's not even teenage-tier. Plenty of smart teenagers know it's full of shit. It's more like pre-teenage-tier. I'm asking how come some grown-ass adults actually believe that crap.

I got over it even while I was suffering from depression. I got over it thanks to actually reading Nietzsche and Camus and realizing that Rick and Morty was actually shit and that adult nihilists are either too depressed for their brains to function normally (deepest sympathies to them), or immature jobless NEETs who never overcame their edgy teenager phase (no sympathy for them).

Hey guys, OP here. So I just visited r/nihilism for some answers.

I don't know what I was expecting. Don't judge me. Don't pretend like you've never asked questions to toddlers or the mentally retarded.

At least stop being a wanker and post screencaps of their "arguments".

Nihilism is usually seen as: since there is no meaning in life. The consequences of life are meaningless as well. Uses usually to justify ones actions and poor decision making. Whereas the philosophers you mentioned decided to ignore the question, and accept that life has no inherent meaning.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. But what is a meme worth?

Woah, one of them's here!

I didn't actually post any questions there, but here are some of their posts:

reddit.com/r/nihilism/comments/737k4f/in_a_nihilistic_universe_is_intelligence_also/

reddit.com/r/nihilism/comments/73axk9/how_to_cope_with_negative_feelings_in_nihilism/

reddit.com/r/nihilism/comments/735cd8/admitting_you_have_as_much_value_as_a_number_in_a/

reddit.com/r/nihilism/comments/733wu4/death_is_just_a_permanent_nap/

> decided to ignore the question, and accept that life has no inherent meaning

But how?

How are the consequences of life meaningless? How are they "avoiding the question"?

Memes are worth the whole Universe.

About tree fiddy

They are worth Rick Ross.

Is this truly what Veeky Forums is nowadays?

Why the fuck are people so autistic about R&M

Because it's shit

Then stop talking about it. This shit reminds of that Kkk comic where other klansman hated him one of them could only talk about hating blacks and nothing more.

No philosophers actually embrace nihilism, so what's your point?

k although I thought it had to be said in order to drive my point home

I believe wise words can come out of even the most unexpected of people, so of course I'd be under the impression that even a Veeky Forums user could change my view on life, since it's happened before.

Whats the word for 'constructive' nihilism? The, 'a nihilistic universe is a responsibility to replace the meaningless with the good and beneficial' thing. There's like a particular term...i think it starts with an o.

Objectivist? Optimist? I dunno, go look it up yourself lmao.

People most of the time don't get whatever is said on the show. Ricks talk with Beth in the last episode wasn't about nihilism at all.

I wouldn't know because I quit watching that shit as soon as season 3 was shat.

Read Universally Preferable Behaviour by Stefan Molylylneueueuex. Admit that I have won the thread.

No you haven't

youtube.com/watch?v=oLGh0wOXeAU

sounds kind of like Camus' absurdism, even though Camus didn't think you could actually succeed in doing it

10,000 words at least

If it's debunked, I win. The UPB is the most retarded philosophical text that exists, victory is mine, vae victis, I own this thread

This, actually. The only people dumber than nihilists are Randians and Molyneuxites

No because I did it first ahahaaa

OP here. Sorry, I don't have enough time to read the whole thing. What does that book talk about? Is it nihilism?

Let me keep things polite... it starts as an attempt to lay the metaphysical groundwork for libertarian morality, and then he performs a series of moral exercises using his system.

Only, he commits gross errors of logic on literally every page. This is further compounded by how convinced he is that he has solved some great problem, and has bestowed upon mankind a perfect text on morality.

should i read these threads? what am i in for?

DO NOT

> What am I in for?

Cancer, teenagers, and adults with the minds of teenagers. And not the smart kind, I mean the smug, pseudo-intellectual kind that thinks they're smart because they understand the jokes in Big Bang Theory and because they read books, despite only having read shitty fanfic-tier YA fiction as opposed to anything substantial.

Ok so is it supposed to be some sort of counter-argument against nihilism that fails miserably?

If so, then user has not won the thread at all. I never read that and I don't need to, because anyone can free themselves of nihilism anyway. I don't need some book to do that for me.

No, it's not a response to nihilism. It's a stand alone text that claims to have solved the greatest philosophical problems of all time and provided humanity with a correct account of morality. It is far and away the most retarded text I have ever read, almost every sentence contains some error of reason.

So... why did mention it?

Just to waste your time basically.

Read the thread title, genius. Nihilism is no longer the stupidest philosophy he's encountered so far. I have cut the gordian knot. I have conquered many terrible threads. Worship me.

Well someone's full of themselves. I was asking you to explain why nihilism isn't full of shit, not if there was something stupider than it.

So what is the meaning of life and our existance then ?

I dont know, name me a single philosopher that was actually a nihilist. Nihilism isnt:
1. Nietchze
2. Existentialism
3. Post Structuralism
4. Deconstructionism

Meaning itself, meaning can only emerge against the background of non-meaning. Nihilism isn't "anti-meaning", it just says there's no meaning prior to the one we project on the universe, which paradoxically leads back to the conclusion that for all intents and purposes the meaning of the universe is to produce meaning itself. Or, rather, only in reference to non-meaning is true meaning possible

already pointed that out. Sorry

A few do, brassier, mainlander, weininger to an extent

Never heard of them.

>links to reddit
>uses reddit spacing
>discusses reddit topic
I think you know where you belong. Stay there.

But if we have to create a meaning it means that there isn't one to begin with as you pointed out.
And thus a lot of instituitions and ideas, such as Morality, Humanism, Natural law and many others that base themselves upon supposed objective and universal foundations are not actually legitimate.
> leads back to the conclusion that for all intents and purposes the meaning of the universe is to produce meaning
I don't see this as a logical conclusion at all. merely a subjective solution so satisfy a question and lead to productiveness and happiness, which indeed satisfy our urges as an animal, but which are still devoid of true meaning.

You're misunderstanding, these things are (more or less) valid within the horizon of subjectivity, and since what is outside that horizon is by definition nothing, then your argument starts to sound like "our appreciation of Bach's music isn't legitimate because rocks don't react when we play it to them".

Your comparing human meaning to the void, non-meaning, which we don't have to justify our meaning to, because subjectivity and its strictures are necessarily self-justifying. It is precisely because we have erected a concept of meaning in the abyss that legitimizes it, more than anything.

Woah, you sure got me there! My... spacing. And the fact that I shared a discussion about philosophy and links to reddit. Can't argue with that! You're not a brainlet or anything. 10/10.

Walbert?

who

Yet I changed the game. Nihilism is no longer the stupidest philosophy you have encountered so far. Keep your eye on the ball.

Daaaamn