Who or what caused the Franco-Prussian war of 1870?

Who or what caused the Franco-Prussian war of 1870?

G*rmans ofc

-Frontier disputes
-Bismarck was crazy at inciting France to declare war first

a lot more than that of course but that's what I know

Bismarck used Spanish internal troubles to eventually bait France into attacking Prussia.

bismarck baited the french to gain territory and to prove to others that germany was strong when united

Otter Von Biscuit

Also, why were the frogs so ass-blasted about losing a tiny strip of land?

I think there's coal and gold mines in alsace-lorraine

They realized what autistc horror they had released upon the world by not caring about some germans unifying with each other and giving up some land to keep them quiet.

Imagine how crazy it would be to be part of a charge of thousands

Would you be pissed off if someone cut off your ear?

Napoleon III : I'm not that popular domestically, I should start a war get some more popularity

Bismarck : German unification is not that popular with the South German states, I should start a war to some more popularity,

That tiny strip of land held over 2 billion tons of iron ore. The Imperial German steel industry would have been nowhere near the level it was historically if it didn't have those iron fields. In 1913, the iron ore production of Germany was 26,771,598 tons, of which 21,135,554 was mined in Lorraine.

Plenty of other ways to get iron ore, would have just helped with convenience/cost

same thing that caused ww1 and ww2.

german challange to French dominance of continental europe.

The Reddit-hexagon finally got put in its place after years of bullying.

>being so hilariously butt-flustered that you invent a brand new word for it
le SEETHING

Yes, the convenience/cost factor was pretty large considering how close the industrial heartland of the Ruhr was to the Lorraine iron fields.

German determination to destroy western civilization

>3 wars destroyed your reputation forever
>you won 2 of them

>he Reddit-hexagon finally got put in its place
pretty sure that was the napoleonic wars. Napoleon iii really wasn't bullying Europe like his uncle did. He even holds the credit for helping to unify Italy

What did Spain have to do with the Franco-Prussian war?

>Many Germans viewed the French as the traditional destabilizer of Europe, and sought to weaken France to prevent further breaches of the peace. Bismarck also knew that France should be the aggressor in the conflict to bring the southern German states to side with Prussia, hence giving Germans numerical superiority. Besides he was convinced that France would not find any allies in her war against Germany for the simple reason that "France, the victor, would be a danger to everybody – Prussia to nobody," and he added, "That is our strong point."

Somebody from the House of Hohenzollern was in line to become King of Spain, meaning that the Hohenzollern's would control both Prussia and Spain. This is what caused France to lash out.