Is there a single case in all of history where a decent portion of an armies soldiers consisted of women...

Is there a single case in all of history where a decent portion of an armies soldiers consisted of women? I don't mean 50/50 split but like 25% or more. In pretty much every single fucking word of fantasy setting woman fighters are a thing and they even make the "A woman can fight too!" point. But has this ever actually happened and if so did it actually work?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boudica
personalityresearch.org/papers/mccarthy.html
medium.com/war-is-boring/the-kurds-wont-let-their-women-soldiers-anywhere-near-the-front-line-76abb2603eb9
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ching_Shih
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Hatchet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacha_bazi
theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/apr/25/middle-east-child-abuse-pederasty
theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2007/05/the-kingdom-in-the-closet/305774/
youtube.com/watch?v=MQ8PSKSWeEw
youtube.com/watch?v=npwM2touF08
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Scythians regularly used unmarried women, that's about it.

Well, having women in armies wasn't uncommon at all. A surprisingly large percentage of the First Crusade was women. But they typically weren't there for fighting, but for other things (by "other things" I mean sex).

Some eastern front battles in WWII used women on the Soviet side.

Modern armies I guess count too. Israel or Kurdistan would be the closest that I've seen.

That Cassandra's a qt.

Also, yeah, modern day Kurdistan is probably your best bet.

Nothing that would require melee combat in and offensive context that I'm aware of.

Women travelling with armies was common in European history
Especially in the Napoleonic Wars (I remember reading about how the British army abandoned thousands of their women and wounded when dunkirking out of Holland to flee the French in 1799)

Very rare but it did happen. Probably like 2% or less if that if we mean combat positions. No army was ever anywhere near 20% women, that's feminist wishful thinking.

>tfw now women are wewuzzing

I remember reading about a battle in Spain against the Muslims where a town was defended mostly by its women after the men had left to fight in the army.

I fucking hate seeing it in almost every single fucking fantasy setting. Game of Thrones even did it.
>JUST BECAUSE WE ARE WOMEN DOESN'T MEAN WE CAN'T FIND
Sure you can make that fucking argument when you are in a fantasy setting where you magically make all genders equal but in the real world women aren't good at fighting. They don't have a fight or flight response like men do, they have slower reaction times and can't think as fast as a man can in high stress situations, they have less muscle and are less likely to risk their own life. This is scientifically proven. There is a reason other than "evil sexism" that women have never had an army of their own and despite denying it themselves on the inside women know it because none of them want to actually get jobs that require them to fight.

Amazons, obviously.

Mongol women were expected to kill

>dunkirking

The Dahomey had women in their military. I don't know the proportion, but they played roles beyond the symbolic stuff. Supposedly the French found hard to shoot women, but eventually sucked it up, and went on shooting female niggs.

Celtic armies had a lot of women in them.

A celtic woman even led an uprising against Rome.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boudica

A decent amount of "Scythian" or "Sarmatian" warrior burials are women. Paleolithic hunters and those that show signs of fighting have a decent portion of women included.

and it failed miserably lol

in boudica's army

It started out well enough. She exterminated the entire population of London.

>They don't have a fight or flight response like men do, they have slower reaction times and can't think as fast as a man can in high stress situations

I have never heard or seen any proofs of that.

>they have less muscle and are less likely to risk their own life

I'll give you that one for sure.

Women were seen as the "homestead" and future of the group, and were usually sheltered moreso than put at the edge of battle in harm's way. If all but one small group of men died and a whole village of women lived, there would be plenty of gene flow still going.

In modern times this is far less of a concern. Overpopulation and guns leave just a cultural barrier between women and combat.

There's some evidence here and stories there of women fighters historically, but there's little intentionally recorded about it, and only from anecdotal archaeological finds can people even remotely try to guestimate a % of M/F combatants. Why would most even look if the odds are that low? How many perfect pelvic bones are you going to find?

Israel and Kurdistan have higher percentages of women in their military, especially when compared to their neighbors, but IDK the real numbers.

personalityresearch.org/papers/mccarthy.html

They did washing, cooking, etc. A lot of pre-modern military campaigns were essentially mass migrations.

>personalityresearch.org/papers/mccarthy.html

It seems to be focusing on the response garnered in everyday life rather than combat. Still interesting and something I hadn't heard of, so thanks.

I doubt the reaction time/thinking fast still, as they must differ vastly from individual to individual and I imagine it would create a similar bell curve as M/F IQ does.

There *is* the YPJ out in Raqqa fighting ISIS rn. All female militia.

Women produce men. A woman can make 5-8 men. If a woman is dead she cannot produce men. It makes no fucking sense to put them in a battle even if you ignore the muscle mass difference.

Isn't she famous for being the worst general in the history of ever?

In the sense that a general is "someone who can trick men into killing themselves" she's one of the greatest generals of all time.

Jewish rebels in the 40s/ the army of the state of Israel?

Scythian amazons

illyrians i think had a queen pirate

There has "always" been female fighters throughout history, but fighters and soldiers are different beasts.

Oh wow slaughtering a small garrison and thousands of civilians what a terrifyingly powerful warrior

I thought most of the Scythian burials lacked armour, helmets and some symbolic things that warriors were buried with which indicated that they were buried with weapons for social reasons.

medium.com/war-is-boring/the-kurds-wont-let-their-women-soldiers-anywhere-near-the-front-line-76abb2603eb9

Kurds use women as propaganda to win the hearts and minds of western nations and the IDF long ago pushed women away from real combat and use them on peaceful places as guards or around government buildings

I'm starting to like Muslims more and more. At least they are not hypocrites about gender.

No, not even Game of Thrones did it, they have like 3 female characters who can fight without being carried by magic or dragons

>wearing a hijab
>also wearing make up
wow someone missed the fucking point

Gotta convert those whities to the religion of peace somehow

The Chinese had *the* Pirate Queen.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ching_Shih

>Inherits largest pirate fleet ever known
>Increases its size ten fold
>Kicks Qing Dynasty's ass
>Kicks Portuguese ass
>Kicks British ass
>Kicks Qing Dynasty's ass, again
>Gets global amnesty for herself and 40,000 some-odd fellow pirates.
>They all get to keep their bootie.
>Dies of old age with royal title.

Pretty much most successful pirate of all time.

Not a "warrior" per-say though, more of a ruler. Did employ some female pirates, who did fight, but most were wives of male pirates, and they certainly weren't the majority of her forces, even if she was a bit infamous for deploying them as fighters and occasionally ship captains. She did institute a strict "no rape" policy though.

>Worst general
>When Arminius exists
Yeah no

>Is there a single case in all of history where a decent portion of an armies soldiers consisted of women?

No

Yeah and the Amazonians were real too.

>Overpopulation and guns leave just a cultural barrier between women and combat.

t. has never even been camping before

The only way you can entertain women in the military is if you are:
A. A completely dishonest sociopathic faggot.
B. A limp-dick couch potato who's never carried more than 20 pounds on his back.

historically speaking unless you had massive overpopulation thingor something you hadalready strategically lost when you employed women in military
think about it even if average woman would be as effective fighter as a man you would stilll do a terrible misallocation of resources
that single woman would be best off popping of new members of your nation who then could go work on the fields or die in the war or pop off new members of your nation etc ad infinitum
if you are in a defencive war when in defeat youd be wiped out comoletely you might use them as a desperation measure but youd be on your way out probably anyway

Iraqi Kurds might, but Kurds in Syria and Turkey have women in frontline combat routinely

who?

Brienne
Arya
Jon Snow's dead waifu
Only ones I can think of in the show who did fuck all in a fight, I guess Waif counts too so that's 4, sneks don't count because it was a comedy routine

In books it applies to all of the Wildling women, not just Jon's waifu Ygritte, but that's because in their environment all people must be capable of fighting for survival, so it kinda doesn't count.
Brienne is considered a freak of nature.
Arya is using more agile style using a rapier-like weapon and turning into assassin, where fighting doesn't count.

Not sure about book Sand Snakes, some could be capable in fighting, lot of them were not, more preferring other things, like poisons or science of Maesters.

The viet mihn was full of women

>Strict no rape policy
Yeah, Pirates have to have standards. Do the humane thing and murder them slowly.

Had rules against that too, save for when it came to deserters - everyone else got their heads lopped up, nice and quick.

Granted, Madame Ching's operation was so extensive, it was running more like a maritime government/mafia, with some extortion on the side, rather than as your typical pirates. Lotta PR involved, both carrot and stick.

[TRIGGER WARNING FOR /POL/TARDS]

Women fighting among men or warrior women are common in indoeuropean lore. The wifes of the warriors went to war among them when Cyrus took the empire, the scythians had warrior women, women dressed with male war garments were found in germanic and iranic areas, Queen Medb commanded the army, etc

Then you get Athena, Kali (both probably aryanized native goddesses), etc

Indoeurogayans are repressed feminist cucks from day 1

>At least they are not hypocrites about gender.

>HOMOSEX IS BAD MKAY!?
>But it is OK to fuck boys :3

The NVA seemed to almost 50% women, and was apparently over that mark in some places.

I don't blame the Americans for losing against a bunch angry little asian girls though - pissed vietnamese chicks are fucking scary.

That's all circumstantial; letting women fight was never the principled first choice

Do kinda wonder where these things came from...

Mythological waifus, nothing more

>But it is OK to fuck boys
No it's not. Sodomy is punishable by death in many Islamic societies.

Just seems all these ancient societies, forever trying to keep women pregnant, barefoot, and in the kitchen, sure do have an awful lot of mythical warrior waifus.

I mean, we're more progressive and pro girl power than any civilization before us, supposedly, and what do we have that hasn't been drawn from their mythology? Buffy and Sailor Moon?

All the women involved were made honorary knights too.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Hatchet

Why are you posting an Ainu woman tho?

*shrug* Came up in an image search for Ching Shih. I didn't double check my sources.

Didn't double check this one either, but it's more common. (Forgive me, I'm white, arr rook shame.)

Are kurds not goat rapists too?

It's an illogical premise, because subsistence farming societies don't even field a considerable portion of their healthy military-aged males for military service. It requires an insane number of people in a pre-industrial society to support even just one essentially economically non-productive person. Female fighters did actually exist historically, but never in considerable numbers.

>Campaigning
No, I haven't gone LARPing if that's what you mean.

>The only way you can entertain women in the military is...
Entertain? Well I'm sure they'll be bored, but adults learn to work through boredom all the time. Or did you mean entertain the idea of female combatants?

I lug 40-50 lbs of soil on a regular basis, so I guess I'm a sociopath for seeing life lost in combat regardless of gender unfortunate. Yeah there's the whole slew of war crimes that would be sadistically performed on some unfortunate female casualties, but that's still a cultural barrier.

It might be illegal, but pederasty is and has always been extremely common in Islamic societies.

Gonna need some stats to prove it's more prominent there than anywhere else. Indeed, a brief Google tells me four of the five top child abusing nations are westernized, with the US and Australia being at the top (might explain why the aussies are such good shitposters).

So, by your own measure, it seems Christianity approval of pedophilia?

While we're at it, the murder capital of the world is Catholic. (Albeit, this is Veeky Forums, so they might applaud that.)

>NVA
In combat roles? I dunno about that, the Vietnam War thing on PBS said most of them (either NVA or VC, maybe both) the females were mainly in support roles.

NTG, but the VC had tons female guerrillas and they were purportedly the nastiest of the lot, often operating in particularly successful assassination/hit-and-run squads. Nearly 30% of the VC casualties of the Tet Offensive were women. They were also a lot of VC mortar groups made almost entirely of women, usually with one NVA male cadre. They were so numerous the locals actually had name for them "Co Cong" (roughly, Miss Cong).

Even those that were in support roles often saw combat - famously Dang Thuy Tram, an NVA surgeon who died holding off the Americans while her patients were evacuated, killing and wounding perhaps a dozen American soldiers in the process. Her diaries indicated it wasn't the first time, guesstimating her own kill count, before then, at around 50. Her diary was later assembled into a book called "Last Night I Dreamed of Peace."

Famously, there was Major General Nguyen Thi Dinh, a founding member of the NLF, who later became Vice President of Vietnam. Purportedly, she was captured by the French in combat while working with the Viet Minh, was to be interrogated then summarily executed, but escaped during a raid.

Part of the North Vietnam's selling point was equal treatment of women and it was one of the few areas where they weren't bleeding with hypocrisy. The top VC signature on the Paris Peace Accords was a woman named Nguyen Thi Bình, who saw some combat with the Viet Minh and, much like Dinh, similarly arrested by the French. She was also instrumental in the negotiations that made the accords possible, and, also like Dinh, eventually became Vice President.

>i can fire at a lion so this means i can win in hand to hand combat

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacha_bazi

theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/apr/25/middle-east-child-abuse-pederasty

theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2007/05/the-kingdom-in-the-closet/305774/

youtube.com/watch?v=MQ8PSKSWeEw

>a brief Google tells me four of the five top child abusing nations are westernized, with the US and Australia being at the top

it is important to note that western nations have organizations with dedicated missions revolving around child abuse cases so of course numbers will be high because they are actively seeking such incidents out, and as a personal anecdote the cultures in the MENA region have extremely homoerotic undertones due to persian,arab, and turk influence and since homosexuality is usually synonymous to child abuse and pederasty of course it will be common

>A Viet Cong guerrilla stands guard in the Mekong Delta. "You could find women like her almost everywhere during the war," said the photographer. "She was only 24 years old but had been widowed twice. Both her husbands were soldiers. I saw her as the embodiment of the ideal guerrilla woman, who'd made great sacrifices for her country."

I specifically said "warrior burials"
meaning women found with weapons, armor, and battle scars on their bones. A smaller percentage of the buried women were found with actual wounds but some definitely were.

Amazon fighters 100% women, 100% deadly

Trung sisters' rebellion?

Child abuse rarely gets reported in 3rd world countries for reasons that should be obvious. It rarely got reported in the west until recently. Like or hate feminists they've done A LOT to stop it, and to change the culture to acknowledge it. Speak to any old person and they'll tell you in their day no one could even imagine that happened, same for 3rd world countries now.

Krum who led some people related to Scythians near the Danube lost his army and treasury, so he armed the peasants and women and defeated the Roman army using them.

Yeah, I'm sure you can find some pedophile rings who happen to be majority Arab or Muslim. It''s just as easy to find pedophile rings who happen to be majority Asian, Hispanic, Black, or White.

...And when it comes pedophile rings actually protected by an institutionalized religion, only one comes to mind.

Formed for psychologal warfare, as Islamic teachings state that those killed by women are condemned to hell

Dunkirk

I'll ask you a question OP, would you compose your force with people who were weaker and slower than your opponents or people who were on an equal footing?

How many women warriors does Game of Thrones have? I haven't read the books in a while, but I can remember like two, Brienne and Maege Mormont.
Wow it's fucking nothing. Women have actually fought in history a few times you know, and in most fantasy most warriors are actually men.

>Arya
>Not depending on magic

If we go off the books and not the show we get an iffy 3

Brienne is the most obvious, but she's not a normal woman, so she's just in that top Q3 and is just a man without a cock really.
The wildlings have all warrior women, bit they're not implyed to be the equals to wildling men, just the same top percent agian.
The sand snakes are described as good fighters by others and are the most traditionally female thus far. But they also haven't done much to prove that skill and mostly fight with underhanded tactics.
Arya isn't a good fighter in the books, she's not incompetent, but a decent soldier could beat her in a fair fight. She only becomes dangerous though her guile and cunning, prefering poisening to stabing. Not to mention she technically has magic support too.

>Women have actually fought in history a few times you know

wrong

Women have fought, but it's statistically miniscule in comparison to make combatants
That doesn't mean women of all stations wouldn't fight to defend themselves or others, but it is very uncommon

>She personally commanded over 300 junks
Tee hee
Also her relationship with young fisherboy is straight out of my milf doujin

Hand to hand combat is common these days?

Obviously it happened, but it was rare.

I mean, you are limited by biology when the weapons you use are swords and spears. Women are in general weaker physically.

This obviously stops being a thing when guns are created, but the historical paradigm still remains nonetheless.

Native British uprisings against the romans regularly used mobs made of men women and children all mixed together.

Lombards according to romans used their women in battle
Mostly in defense women usually took arms in most of the germanic world.

youtube.com/watch?v=npwM2touF08

educate yourselves

She was shit tho

The Onnabushi of Japan were pretty rad. They were purely defensive though, iirc.

Muslims are huge hypocrites. The ones I know refuse pork but drink like fish. The girls wear hijabs but wear yoga pants, slutty tops and take it up the ass the same second their older brother looks the other way.

With that said I wouldn't give a shit if muslims ruled. At least then I can rape my wife and a bunch of other stuff.

>yoga pants
>take it up the ass

Where have you seen/met such h-harlots? Serious question.

An epic new meme and one of the finest british traditions.

>Camping
>Campaigning
Are you retarded or making a point?

I want this so badly.

thread needs death battalions