Why couldn't the Chinese come of with a more efficient writing system?

Why couldn't the Chinese come of with a more efficient writing system?

Even the phonetic-meaning components of the characters often don't even make sense.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_literacy_rate
socialindicators.org.hk/chi/indicators/education/7.7
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>brainlets

It's not so bad with Chinese, Japanese butchers the fuck out of the system in much more radical ways, I find that the real issue is remembering the characters while writing.

Anyways, it seems like it's a constant of early civilizations to create weirdly complex writing systems, cuneiform, Egyptian etc.

I read that the Phoenician Abjad came from a short hand form of Egyptian found in some working town.
So basically maybe it was just elite autism, and the Jews are at it again.

actually i like the idea of a logographic language

since the written language and spoken language are unrelated to one another people who speak different languages but use the same written language can communicate with each other. Qin Shihuangdi's decision to unify the written language was arguably his most important act.

The writing system for Chinese is great.

The reason they took it up is t be able to communicate between the many mutually unintelligible languages within the kingdom, all of whom talk differently but can read and understand written text.

It's Japan that absolutely rapes the system into something that is pants on head retarded.

>Why couldn't the Chinese come of with a more efficient writing system?
Bear in mind the alphabet was only invented once. All natural alphabets can trace themselves back to Egyptian hieroglyphs, which were themselves once pictures used to represent words. Unless you invent an alphabet wholesale, like Klingon or some shit, most likely it's taken from Latin or Greek.
>Even the phonetic-meaning components of the characters often don't even make sense.
Blame sound change over thousands of years, the fact that sometimes they don't even represent sounds and the simplified script which obscures some origins. Plus the fact that the script was sound-agnostic by choice given the linguistic diversity over china.

They were not Phoenician'd unlike Europe

What's wrong with Japanese?

Yes, Proto Sinaitic (from whcih the Phoenician script descends) was used by Canaanite workers and slavers in the copper mines of the Sinai peninsula

Curious fact: There is also an Egyptian temple for Athor in the Canaanite worker town, connection with the golden calf?

In 2017 chinks still use hieroglyphics

Bumping for interest.

It's an abomination in the biblical sense.

Its pretty efficient. The couple hundred unique radicals can describe just about everything if you combine them in certain ways.

To add to this, since they use a logographic language system, they lose out far less concepts than we do in English.

They can't switch to an alphabet because their language is phonetically limited and relies on hieroglyphics too much. Too many words sound the same

>hirigana and katakana are both syllabaries, which means you need to learn a "letter" for every possible syllable
>hirigana and katakana both function exactly the same, but you have to learn both and know when to use both
>hirigana for most words
>katakana for western and other non-chinese loanwords
>also if you write what's normally in hirigana in katakana it gives the feeling of emphasis, or writing in all caps
>uses chinese characters on top of that for tons of words
>each chinese character can have like 3 different pronunciations
>one for if it's a chinese symbol used to represent a native japanese word
>one for the Wu dialect loanwords
>one for some other chinese dialect, probably Min I don't remember

What about 한글 the Korean alphabet? Apart from inspiration from some Mongolian/Tibetan influences, I think it is an independently created phonetic system.

䨻龘䲜靐齉䨺齾䖇䴒䶫䯂䰱䴑爩鱻麤龗灪籲龖䨊䚖䡿䴐灩虋虌饢麣驫鸞鬱爨靏驪鸚钁鸛鑿欟鸙纜驩鑽顳驤黷鑼鑾鱸圞彠欜欝氎灎灤灦癳矖矚籯籰虂虃虄虅蠼讚讛趲躦躧釃釄鑴鑵鑶鑷鑸鑹鑺靊韉饞饟驠驡驢驣髗鱱鱲鱳鱴鱵鱶鸓鸔黶鼊龤龥㒪㔶㘜㜻㜼㝲㲲㶠㸑㼖䃻䉷䕾䚕䡽䪌䪍䭦䭧䮾䰕轟贔矗鑫雥馫驫麤龘 䨺 龘厵䨻龘䲜靐䨺齉䖇䴒䶫齾䯂䰱䴑爩鱻麤龗䨊灪籲龖䚖䡿䴐灩虋虌饢麣䂅䆐䉹䖆䶑厵癵籱韊驫鱺鸝鸞䀍䄥䖂䖃䖄䥹䯁䰖䶩䶪爨纞虊讟钃靏驪鬱鱹鸛鸜麷驪㠨㿜䖁䘎䠱䤙䦆

Not teechnically an alphabet. But close enough. Hangul is kind of an oddity.

>independently created
die

No thanks for now, maybe in 60 years.

A lot of these are made up the same characters repeated and arranged.

Because it is efficient for Chinese, especially for computer typing, more efficient than phonogram languages, it costs far less words and characters to form sentences compare to phonogram writings.

Just because you're too stupid to learn and understand it, doesn't mean it's inefficient or and don't make sense, it only means you're a fucking stupid brainlet.

FUCK OFF CHANG
This is an American website
Kill yourselves, you souless chinks

Ching chong ding dong
What do tha chinaman say?
Ching chong ping pong
Me wash you clothes to-day

How do You actually read these on a screen?
There's just not enough pixels man

Chinese characters suits China well, given the diversity of spoken Chinese.

Having a mutually intelligible written language is useful in a country where people from different regions often struggle to understand one another in conversation, is quite useful.

Each kanji can be read in like 50 billion ways

>Meanwhile, in Taiwan...

Try learning Chinese and you would understand how it works better. Unless China switches to Pinyin (which they should but would never do because of tradition) there is no better way to write in the Chinese dialects than Chinese characters.

And the phonetic meaning characters have helped me on many oral presentations when I don't know how to read a goddamn character but I can read one of the main radicals. It takes time, and there are many rules and exceptions, but overall, it's a great way to write Chinese.

Is there anything worse than reading a sentence in pinyin? Characters all the way.

Yeah, reading a character with 20 strokes that can be written with 3 letters and a tone.

>Writes one word on a piece of paper
>nobody understands because there are plenty of different possibilities

The list goes on. Characters are just so much more precise. They have other benefits, too, and nobody carefully examines every single stroke when reading. I read Chinese, but I would never subject myself to reading an entire book in pinyin.

For example, sentence like "(OP) is fucking brainlet" takes 25 characters("space" also count 1 character), but in Chinese it only takes 14 characters like this "(樓主)他媽傻逼".(1 Chinese character = 2 characters, no space needed to write.)

Or "(You) are fucking retarded moron" takes 34 characters, but in Chinese it only takes 18 characters like this "(你)他媽是弱智白癡". Far more efficient than English.

Diacritics, tone marks... etc. Hell, how do you think they type on a computer?

The number of homophones in Mandarin is too great to meaningfully switch over to Pinyin.

Also, it would require everyone to learn a very standardized form of Mandarin, which is a long way from happening (though getting better).

Why isn't it an alphabet?

Viets seem to manage.

...or not?

There's like a 100 characters that correspond to a single combination of sounds (a syllable + tone)... it can be a common word, a name of a river, a type of food, etc. All sounding the same. You can't abandon characters entirely

Viets have like twice the tones and sounds overall, vietnamese is a lot richer phonetically than chinese

It makes math drastically easier because all numbers and basic operations are one syllable. The other operations are 2 syllables.

I think in English, except when doing math.

ITT people who wasted their time studying chink language while they could learn something valuable

You can't even count characters right.

Vietnameses is much more similar to Cantonese, and pretty different from Mandarin.

Which should be no surprise, because modern Mandarin pronunciation was greatly simplified in the Qing Dynasty so the Manchus could learn it more easily.

t. butthurt that people ignored his shitpost

Doesn't matter how you count them, they still cost less characters and are more efficient than English, by and large.

Because you touch yourself at night. In all seriousness though, it's a good question. To put it another way, why did phoneticfags develop their version?

民巨巨巨巨巨

漂亮

Yeah who would want to be able to communicate with the 2nd most widely spoken language on the planet? You'd be better off jacking off and smoking weed bro

All chinks worth communicating with speak english
>he bought into the chinese language is useful meme

why do chinese women prefer white men?

Truly Chang can never recover.

English is a living demonstration that words in written language need not have anything to do with how they're pronounced.

All Anglos worth communicating with speak Chinese.

That's Japan you tard

Vietnamese did it, admittedly it looks atrocious but they did

This is actually true

>䦆
I SEE A SIMPLIFIED

What about the Chinese starting with a more effciient eating system? Knife and fork have been around for a while. Someone tell them.

lol, so bad
clearly this language was designed to be arcane and impossible for average people to really get a full grasp on, only professionals have enough time to parse all this bullshit to really understand

The Ancient Chinks started with knives and forks actually. A habit they acquired from the Indo-Iranshits.

Wh*te subhumans are spouting shits and goal posting again. How can they ever recover.

>The Ancient Chinks started with knives and forks actually. A habit they acquired from the Indo-Iranshits.
Sauce: your ass.

Are you a spic, cuz that's some great cherrypicking.

But those are the equivalent of 15-letter long arcane words in English. That's not typical Chinese.

>clearly this language was designed to be arcane and impossible for average people to really get a full grasp on, only professionals have enough time to parse all this bullshit to really understand
Clearly you really don't know what you're saying.

socialindicators.org.hk/chi/indicators/education/7.7
China: 96.4%(S-Chinese)
Taiwan:98.70%(T-Chinese)
HongKong:95.70%(T-Chinese)
Macau: 96.2%(T-Chinese)

South and North Viets still barely understand each other

anything below 99% is laughable in 2017

How is Taiwan so based?

Yyyeah, Chopsticks in Ancient China were cooking utensils. Not eating.

They became eating utensils during the Tang Period.

>Chopsticks in Ancient China were cooking utensils. Not eating.
>They became eating utensils during the Tang Period.
Guess what? Chopsticks are still "cooking utensils" in modern China, HK, Macau, TW, Japan and Korea...etc. But it doesn't mean people don't use it to eat, you fucking moron.

Stop talking from your ass for a sec won't hurt you, really.

>anything below 99% is laughable in 2017
literacy rate
World:86.3%
North Korea(Best Korea):100%

Yes and North Korea has completely discarded Chinese characters and exculsively uses Hangul, a featural alphabetical system designed specifically for the language spoken there, considered so easy that it can be learned in a single day.

I don't seen how this is impressive, it it were below 100% with those kinds of characteristics it'd be downright embarrassing.

Lmao dude you're the one talking from your ass

That sounds like a pretty impressive alphabet.

Lmao
Eurangutans wish they'd have writing system this sophisticated

It is, Hangul's considered one of the best alphabets ever devised. Not even a Koreaboo at all but it's an impressive system.

Well, now I know what I'll use if I ever need an exotic alphabet for one of the games I GM.

I like the Chinese writing system but this is a dumb way to measure its worth. You've arbitrarily decided that characters, essentially width, is your measure of efficiency. Considering its a writing system, why not use strokes?

I could invent a writing system where every sentence is represented by a single, absurdly complicated character, and you have to learn millions of them, would that be superior and more efficient than Chinese?

>lego-block characters with literally no cultural and traditional value
>impressive
Holy shit how autistic are you?

>he thinks fucking typing efficiency is more important than having a readable language
this is why everybody learns english and nobody learns chinese, chang

>2nd most widely spoken language
in terms of people sure because theres a shitload of chinks
in terms of actual spread? only chinks speak chinese, but almost every country has people who know at least a little english

Not him, but if we are to measure the efficiency of an alphabet/writing system, width seems like a better choice than the number of strokes, because it influences both reading and writing. If you're writing, more compact system means you need to move your arm less and if you're reading, it means you need to turn your head less and turn page(or scroll, if you're reading on a computer screen) less often.

It's impressive from a technical standpoint, not a cultural one. If you wanna talk about cultural significance then there's obviously way more impressive systems. Also it's really fucking autistic to judge a written system based on its "cultural and traditional value"

>giving a shit about the "cultural and traditional value" of a fucking writing system
you're the one with autism here

>It's impressive from a technical standpoint.
It's generally the same idea most Indian-derived systems use with minor alterations.
It's a perfect fit for the language, the system itself wouldn't work in China nor Japan.

Because peasant farmers are not scholars and they used lines to represent the world around them. Every character looks like the thing it's describing because it's like chinese cuneiform. Claw has three dashes, like a bear paw. Grass has a straight line for "ground", and two vertical lines to represent grass growing out of it. Tree has a trunk, fallen branches, and a canopy.

I love spoken japanese but the writing system is terrible.
They should have do like the koreans did

Qin Shihuangdi was a walking "important act".

I love how butthurt chinks ITT defend their retarded writing system while at the same time shitting on Japanese one which in some ways is actually more practical. For example, instead of assigning random characters to new borrowed words you just use katakana.

>Chinks know more about your culture than you do about them
>implying this is a good thing

>t. weeb
Chinese writing and alphabetic writing have their own different pluses and minuses. China would've never have been as unified if it picked up an alphabetic writing system

>他不能学汉子

笑死

Because they aren't Commies

>nobody knows anything about the chinese because nobody cares about them and their language is a waste of time
>everybody knows at least something about english because its the language of the world's cultural, economic, and military hegemon
sounds like a good thing to me

我愿意
他们人不知道汉字,必然死,没有智。

他妈的黑人不要论
LMAO

>thinking simple writing systems are good