Who were the Teutonic Knights really ?

Who were the Teutonic Knights really ?

Were they baltic people that adopted a germanic culture ? Or were they germans that genocided the baltic people and stole their lands ?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_of_Argentina#Genetic_studies_of_Argentinians.27_ancestry
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They were Germans because haploautism is irrelevant to ethnic self-perception.

What? They were Germans because they were a Holy Order and we know who joined. Also, haploautism is fucking cancer.

I think you misunderstood my post, I said haploshits and genetics in general are irrelevant to whether or not they were Germans (they were)

I couldn't agree more. A nation's identity has barely anything to do with genetics. A nation is who it says it is.

I disagree.

I don't think genes have any impact when we're talking about nations that are geographically close but it's important to know the genetic history of a nation to know how it came about.

It's important to know if they were meme germans or actualy germans that invaded, since this is can put to rest centuries of "who did what"

Kinda like we know that the turks are greeks and armenians that became meme turks.

What exactly am I looking at?

>that became meme turks

No. They are Turks and that's it. Just like modern day Hungarians are Hungarians. It's easy.

>who did what

>I don't think genes have any impact when we're talking about nations that are geographically close
True, when I said before that genetics don't matter to ethnic self-perception it was specically with regards to genetically close populations. Obviously say a Sub-Saharan African will never be an ethnic German even if he genuinely considers himself to be one, since he will never be truly accepted by other Germans as being a true German.

this.
I am glad there is somebody else on Veeky Forums who isn't retarded.

I didn't mean to say OTHER Germans by the way :^)

Take a look at list of the Grandmasters of the Teutonic Order...

I think OP wants to know if the Teutonic Knights were ethnic Germans or if they were ethnic Balts.

Is Argentina white?

So I heard the Prussians assimilated the local slavs to the point that you couldn`t tell them apart. Does this happen often throughout history?

ITT: If a slav/balt believes he's a German, does he become a German ?

>I think OP wants to know if the Teutonic Knights were ethnic Germans or if they were ethnic Balts.
Genetic factors are implied in that question, though. By asking if they're "ethnic Balts" it's implying that being German culturally and linguistically and self-identifying themselves as Germans isn't enough for them to be considered Germans, and that there is some kind of other factor that makes them Baltic. But it's completely irrelevant whether or not they were the descendents of German settlers (i.e. "ethnic Germans") or Germanised Balts (i.e. "ethnic Balts"). They were Germans.

If he and his ancestors were born and raised in Germany, his mother tongue is German, he is culturally German, he is physically and behaviourally indistinguishable from other Germans, he sees himself as a German and other Germans unquestionably see him as a fellow German - but he has a Slavic paternal haplgroup and hundreds of years ago the majority of his ancestors were Slavic - is he still a German? I say yes.

The situation with the Teutonic Knights is obviously different, but to suggest they were actually Balts when in all relevant ways they were German is ridiculous.

>Baltic People
WTF?
Where did you hear that?
The Crusades were called out by Pope Urban V and one of the largest groups participating in that Military campaign were People of German origin.
The Teutonic Knights(In German:Deutscher Orden) emerged as spiritual Knights,armed Pilgrams,monks who were living after a strict religious code,their history began when they and the Hospital-Order were fighting over who is the rightful descandant of the Hospital at the Salomon tempel,read some of their early history up.

They were corperating with German People who wanted to visit the Holy City and fighting against Muslim troops.

The Polish Prince of Masovia called them to his lands after the Crusades in the Holy lands were mostly over and wanted them to convert the Heathen Prussian tribes that were threatening his principality.

The Pope and the Holy Roman Emperor were fine with this and with multiple treaties and bulls were giving them Claims to all lands they would conquer or take from the Balts.

They crushed the 3 uprisings by the Prussians,gathered German settlers to inhabit that Region and mix with the local Population.
Still 10% of all Germans were Baltic,according to studies of the year 1910,by German Ethnologues.

They united with the Sword-Brotherhood-Order and then were given Samogitia by the Lithunians,one of the last Pagan regions in Europe,which they converted.

Well,it is genocide,but someone had to unite the Europeans under one faith to be internally stronger.
They were much better at developing those lands.

Identyfiying as Prussian would be acceptable, if your ancestors were from Brandenburg-Prussia in the borders of 1800,as in those Areas German and Slavic People lived,whos ancestors were partially Baltic or Old-Slavic tribes that were relatable to the Old Prussians.

The Slavs and Balts that settled there,had mixed with Eastern Germanic tribes,they were up to 60%Germanic,they then were mixed with and assimiliated by Germans.

It depends on the case, isn't it?

People in Alsace-Lorraine are French, feel they are French, speak French but are considered ethnically German.
At the same time, many people in Berlin are descendants of French settlers and are considered Germans. The French royals were descended from a Germanic family... and are considered French...

Are people who live in modern day Prussia descendants of the Pagans who lived there before the Teutonic Knights, of Germans or of Polish people who moved there after WW2?

Yes,this is a normal process of conquering other People.

Romans:
>Conquered Southern Italian Greeks
>Assimiliated
>Conquer all Celts except for those in some parts of Germany,Scotland and Ireland
>Assimiliated
>Conquer Carthagenians
>Assimiliated
>Conquer Illyrians
>Assimiliated
>Conquer Dacians
>Assimiliated
>Conquer other Italians
>Assimiliated
Greeks:
>Conquer Macedonians
>Assimiliated
>Conquer Thracians
>Assmiliated
>Bythinian Celts
>Egyptians
>Myceans
>Crete
>Lebanon
>Syria
>Palestine
>Anatolia
>Lybia
>All Assimiliated
Spaniards and Portuguese conquering Native Americans
>Nearly all assimiliated
>Arabs assmiliated
>Assyrians,Mesopotamians,Phonecians,North African tribes,"Egyptians",Iberians

Hungarians,Finns and Turks are all memes,the Hungarians are Celto-Germanic,mixed with some Slavs,Balkanites and Turks,Fins are all mixed with Germanic and Baltic People,while Turks are as mentioned in this thread Persians,Greeks,Armenians,Arabs and Assyrians who think they really are Special.

It is too obvious,user:

German Knights are Germans from Germany(Together with some Danes,but that doesn't matter that much) who got somewhere,mixed with Balts and then still were German and German speaking.
That's it.

>Modern Prussia
They are Poles who moved there after WW2.

The Germans and Pre-Teutonic Knights mixed, as I told you.
A normal peasant would have been 90% Baltic with some German admixture, a Knight 50/50 Balto-Germanic,a Feudal lord overweighingly German and a landowner overwhelmingly Baltic,all depends on Social class,they are all mixed.

I will expalin to you what it means to be German:
Germans are descendants of specific European tribes,of Germanic, Celtic,Slavic and Baltic origin.

They often mixed with each other,depending on region they come from and are part of multiple German National Tribes,who are Germanic in Name and origin:
The Upper Germans:
Bajuvars,Thuringii,Franks,Alemanni
The Lower Germans:
Saxons,Frisians
(You could argue that Burgundians used to be one of them as during Medieval times they still spoke German,but they now are French and are East Germanic,not West Germanic,so let's not talk about them).
After resettling the Eastern territories lost to Slavs and Balts, New German Tribes emerged:
The Mecklenburgians,Pommeranians,Brandenburgians,Upper Saxons,Silesians,(German)Bohemians and Prussians.
Technicallly Dutch,Flemish,Lithuanian,Latvian and Estonian People are German too,Frankish and Prussian People they are,but that is another story.

If you then speak German,you can consider yourself so.

For becoming a German you would have to have had one Grandparent who was born in mainland Germany and are European,at best of one of the tribes related to Germans,for example Slovenian,Croatian,Czech,Pole,French,English,Danish or Hungarian.

People from Alsace consider themselves Alsatian and speak local dialect/language that is neither French nor German.

All you need to know.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_of_Argentina#Genetic_studies_of_Argentinians.27_ancestry

So Nietzsche was Pole?

Yes.

Catharism is fucking retarded though, it's basically a suicide pact to not procreate

The Thirty Years War was fueled by anti-Habsburg sentiments much more than religious ones, tbqh.

You could say the same about all of christianity

Maybe. For a start, his ancestry is disputed by scholars and some believe that his supposed Polish ancestry was purely an invention. Regardless, all of his recent ancestors were Germans and as a youth he couldn't be considered anything other than German. As for why he started to consider himself Polish, we first have to consider whether or not he genuinely saw himself as a Pole or if he was just LARPing due to his dislike of Germans. Either way he didn't even speak Polish.

It doesn't really concern me though because the idea expressed in the post you replied to was more about the Teutonic Knights and Prussians broadly rather than individual philosopher autismos with identity crises.

Cathololics and Orthodox didn't think having children is a sin like Cathars did, it's a really fucking dumb religion

Not sure why that justifies their massacre

Honestly, you could have just left them alone and they would've sorted themselves out

One of them murdered a papal legate for excommunicating Raymond of Toulouse and the Pope had a REEEEEEEEEE about it, sort of made their own bed

Is a son guilty for the sins of his father?

God will know his own

they were the Third Reich of their time.

>Or were they germans that genocided the baltic people and stole their lands
Yes.

But they killed pagans instead of making them Reichfuhrer

>they killed pagans
poles weren't pagans

Neither were the Novgorodians that beat them a shitload of times. Crusaders were just assholes.

Well they are the memetic origin of Prussia and Imperial Germany

Old Prussians and Lithuanians were