Were there any Roman emperors who were captured or captured in battle...

Were there any Roman emperors who were captured or captured in battle? They seem like the guy in the oval chamber rather than the medieval king leading an army

The Emperor Valerian I was captured after his army was defeated in the third century by the Sassanid (Persian) emperor, Shapur I

valerian

Byzantine Nikephoros

and still they couldnt conquer the levant

Not an emperor but Ceasar had an episode with cillician pirates

OP asked for ROMAN emperors.

haha

He means captured not killed, which happened on a semi-regular basis, with Desius and Julian just off the top of my head.

t.pleb

Oh and Valentinian at Adrianople ofc.

t. Alexios Papandreukalos

Valentinian was burned alive in some shack by Goths after running away wounded from the battlefield.

>be royalty
>get captured and killed
That's just mean. At least people like Hitler or Mussolini grew up poor and climbed the stairway to power before getting fucked. But being born into this amazing life and then get killed is just hard.

>valentinian
My mistake, it was Valens.

>I'm retarded and here's my retarded red herring

plenty if you count capture by other romans

To my knowledge, disregarding any Eastern Roman Emperors post Justinian it goes:

>Gordian III is the first Roman Emperor killed in battle (against the Persians)
>Valerian is the first Roman Emperor captured in battle (against the Persians)
>Julian the Apostate was killed in battle (against the Persians)
>Jovian and Philip are Roman Emperors who were forced to submit to the Persians and had to pay a ransom to return to their territories

I'm sure there are others but those are some of the more famous and better known examples.

>Literally the Eastern Half of the Roman empire
>Reconquered Rome
>Latin shits so assblasted they call a confederation of Germanic Duchies "Roman"
Not even Greek btw.

Hell Constantine made Constantinople the Capital of the whole empire anyway, Even when the empire was duel administrated the Western Capital was in Milan and Ravenna.

there are different stories about this though
persians claim that they btfo huge roman army, captured the emperor and killed him in pretty spectacular way
romans claim that there was a meeting that was supposed to have between persian kang and roman emperor but valerian got backstabbed and caught by persians

>nobody mentions the one emperor who got rekt by alp arslan

Forgot his name but he got captured and released.

Romanos IV Diogenes. He died in exile.