When/why did it become so difficult to find a job as a young man...

When/why did it become so difficult to find a job as a young man? A century ago you could just show up to a site and be hired for all kinds of tasks, with the only requirement being an ability to engage in manual labor.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credentialism_and_educational_inflation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_economy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-industrial_economy
econlog.econlib.org/archives/2017/04/how_can_there_b.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Much lower population numbers meant employers couldn't be as picky with hiring.

Because we have robots that can do a lot of those things now. Brainlets will be out of work soon.

Manual labor became less important and even basic construction jobs became more technical. Also, an increase in safety standards meant multiple job site accidents a day were no longer acceptable, so hiring standards went up.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credentialism_and_educational_inflation

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_economy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-industrial_economy

Because it became dramatically more profitable to work in educated fields then in semi-skilled labor.

In the United States, this led to a glut of educated professionals as parents sought out education as a way to guarantee their children a place in the middle class.

As a result of this increased supply of educated professionals, the value of a degree fell, leading to a labor economy in which many jobs that previously required only a high school education now require a bachelors or even post-graduate education.

econlog.econlib.org/archives/2017/04/how_can_there_b.html

then the c*pitalists will be hung from streetlamps

I think the most important information here is:

A poll from the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) of young Americans ages 18-to-25 shows that almost no millennials want a career in construction -- a high-paying industry. 64 percent of these millennials said they wouldn't even consider working in construction if you paid them $100,000 or more.

74 percent of young adults know what career field they want to pursue, and of these millennials, just 3 percent want a career in construction trades. What's more stunning is that of the 26 percent who don't know what career they want, 63 percent of these undecided millennials said there was "no or little chance regardless of pay" that they would work in construction trades.

>Because it became dramatically more profitable to work in educated fields then in semi-skilled labor.

This ignores that a contractor or electrician, neither of which require going to normal colleges but instead learning a trade, are very profitable fields.

unless they build robot armies like Mr. House from Fallout New Vegas*

I don't have a problem working in those fields, my father was a carpenter and my mother a paperhanger. It's just hard for me because I have a fear of heights.

Let's be real, normies don't try to get into the trades.

How is a trade worker not the most normalfag thing out there?

What universe do you live in where normies don't go to trade school?

Electricians get paid so well because it's one of the most dangerous jobs out there, I think the only job with a higher fatality rate is soldier in a time of war.

Automation without basic income is the final answer.

These young people could be just studying for something super-productive, instead they're paying for an incomplete education in a field they aren't specially qualified for and doesn't specially need them.

Plumbers and co make about as much honestly.

Large scale public works aren't really a thing any more. When's the last time a major us city built a real bridge or tunnel? Shit gets stuck in the planning decade for decades and gets abandoned after it is determined it will cost billions.

Check out the new second avenue line in nyc. Planned for half a century, cost billions and it is only three stops. And those three stops took a decade to complete.

so the construction companies
1) lie about not having labor because they don't want to raise wages
2) claim that nobody will take a job for 100k a year, in Dallas

And the (((economists))) publish this to support their claims that what's restricting the supply of cheap housing is too much regulation and not enough immigration. If we cut taxes for the construction companies and remove regulations they could pay a higher wage. If we open the boarders we will increase the supply of lower cost labor.

We need to come up with some kind of permanent solution.

Purge the system of economists?

Normies work in a cubicle as an office slave to the head jew in charge. People who work in trades are always the most redpilled. Even the blacks I've worked with throughout my life have been hard working and hated niggers more than the whites.

>People who work in trades are always the most redpilled.
My father was a carpenter for 40 years and he was a hippie in the 60s. Maybe it's because it's Jersey, but a lot of the union workers were oldschool democrats because republicans would more often screw over unions.

I worked on Union job sites for 9$ an hour a few years back. The guy in charge went around one day asking for credentials and asked me about my pay, my company, etc. I told him everything because I didn't give a shit and the next thing I know, my boss got fined $50,000 (pocket change to him anyway)

>the head jew in charge

Trump?

This is a crock of shit. People don't want to work construction because it is flooded with illegals working for slave wages in substandard conditions. Whenever a trade union does an open call for 100 apprenticeships in my area a line of 2000 people form stretching around the block.

And this hurts the perception of those fields because it makes people think "that job isn't for Americans, it's for immigrants"

You aren't entitled to a job.

Are you serious?

If there is a line of people that long, then clearly plenty of people do want to work in construction.

Also helps that work conditions vary based off of how good the areas workers rights are, benefits and how good the union is.

Only because the number of them are low (and they like to keep it that low which makes sense)

Yes people desperately want to work in union construction, non union not so much.

Aka if you live in a "right to work" state, you might as well get fucked.

You all seem to be ignoring the point of regulation: you can't get hired for stupid risky jobs anymore unless you're an off-grid worker.

Then the problem could be that firms are trying to cut costs by hiring non-union.

They wound do that, the government will stop them. Passing a shitload of laws, outright banning it the societal implications are dramatic to say the least. We cannot have millions of people suddenly out of work

Meant for

I know more non union tradesmen than I do economists, and there's sure as shit a lump of economists

Even if you are non-union if your unions are neutered then it's gonna be problem for you.

It was a different time. Back when white union workers hated minorities for taking their jobs.