Operation Downfall: The Invasion of Japan

>6 million Allied troops commited
>4.5 million Japanese troops and 31 million Japanese civilian conscripts
>Would have been the largedt amphibious operation in history

Seriously, how much of a clusterfuck would this have been?

>Leaving out the additional Soviet troops pouring in from the north
>Leaving out the planned employment of 15 atomic bombs to be dropped in decisive military locations, as well as in major cities like Kyoto
>Leaving out the fact that some of these nukes would have been dropped directly on the actual Japanese army to clear them out for beach landings, where Allied soldiers would walk after a few hours had passed because they knew fuckall about how long it took for radiation levels to return to normal
>Leaving out the part where Churchill was gonna stock ships up with nerve gas to launch at major civilian centers
It would have been a cluterfuck of unimaginable scale OP.

>largedt
>cluterfuck
Typos aren't tolerated on this board my friends.

Ill havd ast man y typs asI wantfuck yo

Honestly i'm somewhat disappointed that it didn't happen. There would be so much to talk about today. The sheer brutality of it would have been a fitting end to the war.

Every work of art needs a conclusion.

thwe docter says i need to have sxanex for my anxeity brro your discriminateing

They're still handing out Purple Hearts that were made in its anticipation

>>Leaving out the additional Soviet troops pouring in from the north
hahahaha, no.

if you are one who likes alternative history fiction books, read "Lighter than a Feather" (1971)

Not op. Is this any good?

>Leaving out the loli squads armed with bamboo spears
There would have been good parts in this plan.

>Leaving out the fact that some of these nukes would have been dropped directly on the actual Japanese army to clear them out for beach landings, where Allied soldiers would walk after a few hours had passed because they knew fuckall about how long it took for radiation levels to return to normal

That never would have happened. The Atom Bomb was so top secret that Truman didn't even know about it until he was sworn into office. They would have kept it that way rather than use it in a land campaign.

> Seriously, how much of a clusterfuck would this have been?

For the Japanese, a fatal one but for the U.S./Allies it would have been a steadily crushing walkover.

The Japanese military was gutted and had almost zero resources available to them while the civilians had fucking to bamboo spears.

Meanwhile, the U.S. has millions of veterans under arms, a truly gigantic military industrial complex and not a single qualm about using it.

> They would have kept it that way rather than use it in a land campaign.

No, the plan was to use nukes to support the invasion if necessary but the whole point of nukes, was to eliminate the need for an invasion in the first place.

But had the Japanese resisted, the U.S. would have nuked their cities one by one until the remaining population was bedraggled and starving and unable to resist an invasion.

t. american
While no doubt the japs would eventually lose, the casualties for the allies would be staggering.

Numbers wise I would say

Allies:
~5,000,000 Americans
~2,000,000 British
~2,500,000 Chinese
~1,500,000 commonwealth (Can/Aus/NZ)

Japs
~3,000,000 military
~20,000,000 conscripts
~5,000,000 civilians

It would've made Europe look like heaven
And I don't think the initial planned force could've pulled it off.

Anime would not exist

not much, Japan is a pretty big island, the americans could utilize their armored divisions which wasnt much use while island hopping

think about what happened when the reich mobilized their old and young and civilians, the results are nowhere near favorable for them, and the japenese had no panzerfausts

the bombs were to be tested and dettered the USSR, not because of forseeable casulties

good

also you dumb weaboos know nothing about either the amerifat or the weeb army, only projecting your stronk samurai images and allied propaganda

>~2,000,000 British
>~1,500,000 commonwealth (Can/Aus/NZ)
Divide that by about 10.
Australia and NZ were able to field 5 front line capable divisions at any one time, the Canadians about 6. And there is no way they would be able (or want to) field that number so far afield as Japan.
In any event the entire commonwealth planned to form only a single corps for the landings.

>>Leaving out the planned employment of 15 atomic bombs to be dropped
Stop talking out your ass. After Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the US had no bombs left and would've needed months to build more.

So does this terrible site

The nukes were made to nuke germany in the first place, never intended to be used at japan