The French

I'm an American high school student and have heard the "French always surrender" meme countless times. I'm in my fourth year of French and many people have called my choice to take it gay.

Not once has a history teacher ever mentioned 19th century France, or the Napoleonic Wars. I don't think we've covered any of France's military history. I've had to teach myself everything and even then I know next to nothing (so French thread I guess).

Is le surrender meme mostly an American thing, or has Europe too forgotten about the nation that was so weary from war that it basically gave up after 1918? Or is that a meme too and the French actually participated a bunch in WWII? I really ought to study up as you can see.

I go to a Christian private school btw, but it belongs to one of the more liberal denominations so religion shouldn't have any bearing on what they teach us. There's like ten faggot teachers who are obnoxiously open about it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SUgmw5AG2WA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

yes it's a meme. Probably one of the main reasons of the surrender meme is from their defeat in WW2, however the French were somewhat justified in their surrender as they had just fought WW1 20 years ago where they had lost millions of men and never recovered from the damage, so they wanted to avoid another draining war.

Throughout most of modern history, France had the most powerful military in Europe. It's not until the unification of Germany that France starts consistently losing in major conflicts.

The "reason" is that France told US to fuck off when they asked them to pitch in for Iraq. The US needed some way to ease the butthurt so they invented that retarded meme.

Europe remembers French power plenty.

French were considered pussies in America before the Iraq war lmfao

It's only after 2003 that the meme took off.

>French people actually believe this

>Is le surrender meme mostly an American thing, or has Europe too forgotten about the nation that was so weary from war that it basically gave up after 1918?

You have to remember that America is the cultural superpower of our era
Whatever shit it spouts will export everywhere

So yeah, it's not that uncommon to find normies who think France has never won a war, even in countries that were under French military occupation a mere 200 years ago

Reminder

>19th century france
Lmao what Franco-Prussian war

French republic is not the French empire or the Ancien Regime. The French republic is shit and has accomplished nothing but lose what it's monarchs gave it.

t. Jean-Pierre Bourgogne

Pretty sure Alsace was lost by a French monarch in 1871 and retrieved by a Republic in 1918

yes it's a meme. but they deserve it for the gigantic embarrassment that was WW2.

The saddest thing is that the French could have won WW2 if they had three of these six things:
>Better radios
>Better refuiling logistics
>The ability to take initiatives at every level
>the will to give up the idea of an united front after the 12th of May
>Deployed more than 1/3rd of their airforce when the german attacked
>Actually talked with the Belgians about who would defend the Ardennes instead of having both armies just retreat
Reading about how France lost is just depressing

I wish high school kiddies would just fuck off.

Said the 40% white shithole conquered by niggers and spics

Americans are consdered as subhumans that always lost wars you are also universally despised and considered as cowardly mongrels

Having more tanks would help as they were superior to German tanks

k old man
PS 18 = senior in high school before you report

i've heard that german used french Michelin maps for their accuracy during the battle of France. Is this true?

I'm sure you would've done so much better, a shame really that you weren't there to lead the French army

This

Yes it's a complete meme. It stems from the battle of France in ww2. The surrender in ww2 was not btw a cowardly decision, the French just lost and had no choice to surrender. The thing to ridicule is the French (more specifically Gamelin) believing trees could stop tanks. French military history for the rest is very impressive. The French Military was the strongest in Europe, and the world at that, during the period from 1643-1814. The French dominated both due to quantity, having the largest population in europe at the time, and quality, having a relatively professional army with lot's of combat experience and competent generals. The only really humiliating wars in French military history were WW2, and arguably the Franco-Prussian war.
France's win rate in large scale european conflicts is unmatched, and if you want to see French power at it's hight, you need only look at the napoleonic wars.

French tanks did outnumber german tanks during the battle of France, quantity was not the issue, it was doctrine.

>Or is that a meme too and the French actually participated a bunch in WWII?
The Dunkirk "miracle", North Africa, Italy, Provence. the Berghof... Yes they actually participed a bunch.

t. Kraut 'aryan'

Franco-Prussian war was much more humiliating, since it created the new greatest rival of France

as it seems that you understand the language, take a look at this documentary. It will put some light on the matter. It's quite fun to watch and interesting.

youtube.com/watch?v=SUgmw5AG2WA

It comes from WWII because that's the only war Americans are know about besudes the Civil War, American """revolution""" and Vietnam

Maybe in America. In Eastern Europe French were known as cowards for decades.

Don't shit on Napoleon III, he did the best he could after being hamstrung by the parliament he created. He tried to modernize the military but they blocked him. Previously he led successful military interventions from italy, to mexico, africa, and Russia.

France was pathetic during ww2.

Fuck off pathetic Pole
Out of all countries, you're tbe one that has the least right to shit on France

As a German, nothing angers me more than Poles trying to look badass by shitting on France and comparing themselves to them in WW2, especially when the only reason why France declared war on us to begin with was to save your pathetic ass once again as they did in 1807 and 1918

>Burgers acts like spoiled autistic children when things don't go their way
Really make work my machinery.

No one denies that, but the meme went too far
To the point some people unironically believe France, a country that used to be among the most feared in Europe and that kept expanding for centuries, has never won a war

The comment section made me cringe.

>France was pathetic during ww2.
How?

France was.
The Free French, however, were unironically fucking dope and efficient.
Ditch Le Resistance meme and focus on the Free French campaigns in North Africa, Italy, France and Germany, they kicked ass.

But it was because of his retarded foreign policy in the first place that France had to fight against Prussia alone. He deserves all the blame for this war.

They barely existed. They're a de Gaullist lie invented to save face.

>invade Mexico for no reason
>US civil war ends
>USA tell him to leave
>Leaves

Sure was useful

You mean De Gaulle lied about all these battles involving hundreds of thousands soldiers? Based.

>global successful interventions
>did the best he could and significantly improved relations with britain
>new colonies everywhere
Besides, France didn't need an ally in the war, what she needed was a properly organized army and modern artillery.

French are historically the best soldiers, the brightest scientist, and are basically the good guys in every one of their conflicts

What made me cringe is that you've read the comment section

Meme that usually refers post-20th century with the WW. France has been a big military force for centuries since its inception

Nah, it existed beforehand hence Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys from the Simpsons. Iraq definitely changed it from a meme to a "fact" though.

I'm an American high school student and have heard the "French always surrender" meme countless times.
It's not a meme, it's history. Look up the Cartanic Wars, Seven Years' War, Napoleonic Wars, Haitian War, Franco-Prussian War, WWII, the Vietnam War and the Algerian war.

>I'm in my fourth year of French and many people have called my choice to take it gay.
Because it is, you fairy. French "men" are effete, wimpy whoopsies who spend all their time drinking wine, chatting at cafés and discussing fashoin like a gaggle of middle-aged women.

>Not once has a history teacher ever mentioned 19th century France, or the Napoleonic Wars.
You mean the wars they lost?

>I don't think we've covered any of France's military history.
No need to learn about so many defeats.

>I know next to nothing
You already said you were American.

>Is le surrender meme mostly an American thing, or has Europe too forgotten about the nation that was so weary from war that it basically gave up after 1918?
It gave up way earlier than that.

>Or is that a meme too and the French actually participated a bunch in WWII?
They literally stopped participating in the war two months after they started, and then decided to take Hitler's side. The only participation they made was letting the Germans take over their country, and they did so with pleasure.

>I really ought to study up as you can see.
That's what you do at school, you stupid Yank.

>I go to a Christian private school btw
I recant my previous statement.

>There's like ten faggot teachers who are obnoxiously open about it.
Sounds like you've found your people.

>I know next to nothing
>You already said you were American.
kek

>French "men" are effete, wimpy whoopsies who spend all their time drinking wine, chatting at cafés and discussing fashoin like a gaggle of middle-aged women.
Literally only met two guys like this. One was some kind of metrosexual don juan and the other was a tranny.

>Cartanic Wars
France had a dozen soldiers involved in these
It was a war between Brits and Indians

>Seven Years' War
If you're talking about the North American theater, 10,000 French held for a decade against 42,000 Brits (pic related)

>Napoleonic Wars
Are you trying to use a serie of wars in which France alone defeated 5 international coalitions and conquered Europe for two decades to prove France is bad at war?

>Haitian War
A revolt that occured an ocean away while France was at war with all Europe

The rest works, but the fact you had to use the fucking Carnatic Wars in your attempt to find 8 wars France performed badly in kinda disprove your point

Gee, I wonder why this bong is so butthurt about Americans...

>In Eastern Europe French were known as cowards for decades.

That's bullshit. Unless you cite some overly specific examples/countries.

had french exchange students in highschool. He wore capries and makeup

YANKED

Most due to the fact during the last World War they lasted a day less than the Polish did

>What is Vietnam
That bad blood started way earlier than Iraq you retard

What did he mean by this?

France lasted 45 days and Poland 35 days tho

I'm Russian, not Polish.
>As a German
You're a faggot.

>I'm Russian, not Polish.
Russia lost most of its wars against France
But I believe you're a lying Pole anyway

>As a German
>You're a faggot.
Russian women literally threw themselves into our arms during Operation Barbarossa
Even sleeping with invaders is better than with slavic men lmao

I'm not Polish and you're an analravaged frog.
>Russia lost most of its wars against France
What the fuck are you smoking you retard

>"You're British"
>"I'm Russian"
>"No, you're Polish"
>"I'm German"
>"No, you're French"

The absolute state of this board
Can we get flags already

That would only serve and propagate more shitposting.

Pic related

>Crimean war
>frogs literally doing nothing but piggybacking the Anglos
>"French victory"
Holy kek

And their defeat in 1871.
And against Vietnam.
And Algeria.

That's the other way around tho
French did most of the job in that war

Was lost by republican schemers and won back by US manpower with British navy. France woudl have been fucked. Just look at the retarded cult of the offensive meme.

>Win "victories" against Russia in a bunch of coalitions where your armies almost never clash
>Actually go toe-to-toe with Russia in 1812
>Have all of Europe behind you
>Get BTFO within a year
>Russians occupy your capital
>B-but we won most of the Wars!!

>Win "victories" against Russia in a bunch of coalitions where your armies almost never clash
Hmmm, no sweetie
The Russian army capitulated twice to Napoleonic France, once at Austerlitz in 1805 and once at Friedland in 1807
In the later, Russia was so BTFO they begged for peace and agreed to the humiliating Treaty of Tilsit that subdued them to France

You don't need to be conquered to lose a war
Look at Russia in 1917

>Actually go toe-to-toe with Russia in 1812
>Have all of Europe behind you
>Get BTFO within a year
Yes, BTFO by winter and disease

>Russians occupy your capital
Are we gonna act like Moscow wasn't turned into ashes?