Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_invasion_of_Caledonia_208–210
youtube.com/watch?v=jw3Ea8fKIxU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Britannia

Nah it was clearly Germania

Colchester is the true capital.

I AINT NO UNUM FORTUNATUS

Anybody got that ancient rome/vietnam greentext?

GIVE ME BACK MY LEGIONS

Germania, clearly

>being this much of a teaboo
It was clearly Germania.

IF were talking abour France then yes. Though, Persia is a much more apt description of a never-ending conflict

The Vietnam War did end. Uncle Sam lost.

>race to the bottom
the cultural impact was we had to leave or we would just lost more men, Romans regularly defeated and occupied Germany, but left afterward. Whereas they only managed to do so once to Persia.

>Uncle Sam lost.
>mfw people still spout this meme

Is forcing your enemy into a peace treaty in 1972 because you trashed them a loss now? Guess that makes WW1 and 2 a loss too seeing as we signed peace treaties there as well.

we were house greyjoy and our culture made them defect to our cause

So let me get this straight
>Ancient Persian Vietnam - Scythia
>Ancient Greek Vietnam - Thracia
>Ancient Roman Vietnam - Germania
>Byzantine Vietnam - Arabia
>Mongol Vietnam - Vietnam (or Japan)
>Medieval European Vietnam - Palestine
>Imperial German Vietnam - Hussite Bohemia
>Polish-Lithuanian Vietnam- Zaporizhia
>Ottoman Vietnam - Hungary
>Swedish Vietnam - Russia
>Georgian British Vietnam - North America
>Napoleonic French Vietnam - Spain
>Victorian British Vietnam - Afghanistan
>Nazi German Vietnam - occupied East Europe
>Soviet Vietnam - Afghanistan

>>Ancient Greek Vietnam
that would be Troy

"If South Vietnam were to collapse under Communist pressure from the North, the progress in the rest of Asia would be greatly endangered. And don’t you forget that!" Lyndon Johnson

Um, what happened to South Vietnam? You know, just after American seevicemen were fleeing and ditching equipment into the sea in their panic? You lost. Get over it, Cleetus.

This isn't reddit.

reddit doesn't like house greyjoy

Only Reddit likes shitty popfiction, and only Reddit would use these idiotic popfiction analogies with real world history.

Nazi Germany would be Yugoslavia

Napoleonic and Nazi would both be Russia, too.

The Jewish revolts. The Bar Kokhba revolt even had the Jews fighting out of holes in the ground.

>Only Reddit likes shitty popfiction, and only Reddit
sounds like you have a crush of reddit. This whole thread amounts to fanfiction, which would be even worse than popfi

>IX WASN'T JUPITER starts playing

>>Napoleonic French Vietnam - Spain

Rather Russia

Faggot

>what is projecting

Nah.

The Americans didn't get their asses kicked because of scorched earth or bad weather, but rather by Charlie guerrillas. There were plenty of those in Napoleonic Spain, less so in Russia.

>go in to stop communism
>leave and communism rules the entire country
>wwe..we didn't lllo..lose...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_invasion_of_Caledonia_208–210

>implying we ever fought a war in vietnam
congress never voted for their to be war hence it never happend. Was just another detriot chimpout, but with gooks.

The last time Congress "declared war" was World War II. Are you saying every armed conflict between then and now shouldn't be classified as a war because of that?

>that scutum shape with that high empire armour mix

Hol up now

Probably Thrace, though they did conquer it in the end.

Judea, anyone saying Germania is incorrect

Vietnam, while a bloody nose and embarrassment to Uncle Sam, was not terminal or, in the long term, even strategically significant. They still won the wider Cold War of which it was a part. I reckon Caudine Forks might be a better parallel, in that respect.

Hispania or Germania

I don't remember expelling the Vietnamese from their homeland

Armenia
>nestled on the edge of civilization
>hotly contested by another world power
>conquered once at the peak of their power but unsustainable, later pulled out and ruled as a client kingdom, never to be reconquered
>"if we don't control Armenia, Asia Minor will fall to the Persians!"

If anything Judea was Rome's Japan

>quia non est mihi starts playing

I'm surprised that no one has yet nominated the Jugurthine War.
>Rome intervenes in a friendly state's internal power conflict
>Huge, costly and drawn out war
>guerilla warfare
>Inhospitable climate
>Even with the full might of the roman warmachine the enemy can't be beaten.
>Massive corruption amongst the fat cats back home who get rich off of the bribes from Jugurtha, revealing deep flaws within the roman republic.
>The rising discontentment for the war makes the political feuding back home worsen as populists try to use the situation to their advantage.

Hispania
>Took decades to finally control and deal with
>Very little to be gained in terms of booty, silver mines be damned
>Horrific casualties and atrocities
>Reports of fathers injuring sons to prevent conscription
>General public dissatisfaction

It was a never ending conventional conflict though

But what was America's Vietnam?

Parthia, not Persia. And on top of that, they never got into the Iranian homelands at any point.

>Took decades to finally control and deal with
You mean centuries

Hispania

Celtiberians dedicated generations to gorilla warfare

Some folks are born, made to wave the Aquila
Ooo, they're red, white and gold
And when the band plays "Ave, Caesar"
Ooo, they point the ballista at you, Jove.

It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no senator's son, son
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate one, no

Some folks are born, gladdius in hand
Gods, don't they help themselves, y'all
But when the publican comes to the door
Jupiter, the house looks like a slave sale, yeah

It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no patrician's son, no, no
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate one, no

Yeah, yeah
Some folks inherit rich villas and lands
Ooh, they send you down to conquest, Mars
And when you ask 'em, "How much should we give?"
Ooh, they only answer "More! More! More!", y'all

It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no military son, son
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate one, one
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate one, no, no, no
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate son, no, no, no

Germania was more like Rome's Middle East
>continuous, ongoing hostilities
>cynical power struggle with Rome acting as a bit player, albeit on a massive scale
>support one tribe, play them off each other
>never worth the effort to outright conquer
>tons of blood and treasure spent enriching tribes of fighters to do the fighting for them
>lead to the great power's downfall when they could no longer afford to keep paying tribes to kill each other, whose population wouldn't stop growing despite the conflict, leading to that culture swarming into the borders en masse

Hispania
Honorable mention: Jugurtha's shenanigans

This

Britannia is a better analogy than Germania because it was far away and Romans weren’t as committed to it, hence why they abandoned it like the US did to Vietnam.

>>lead to the great power's downfall when they could no longer afford to keep paying tribes to kill each other, whose population wouldn't stop growing despite the conflict, leading to that culture swarming into the borders en masse
That's just wrong. First of, saying that x was the reason for the fall of the WRE is reductionist in the extreme.
Secondly, the tribes became harder to handle for Rome not because they became to expensive but because they chose to confederate so as to increase their own bargaining and power position visavi the WRE. You also failed to mention that after centuries of exchange and war with the romans the germanic peoples had significiantly increased their own military technology. Instead of Rome meeting half naked savages they now faced armies comprised of similarly, if not identically, equipped soldiers of who many had been trained by the romans in the art of war. The failure of the romans regarding the germanic peoples were that they didn't assimilate their foederati troops in the end but let them maintain their own military leadership and communes.

But what is Vietnam's Vietnam?

Cambodia

But what is China's Viet(越)nam(南)? Oh wait...

Sparrows were China's Vietnam

Bar Kochba was crazy, they killed probably up 100.000 roman soldiers. If you how many New recruts there were in the years after the war

Why? I know that Yugoslav partisans weren't pushovers but I'm pretty sure the Nazis inflicted waaaay more casualties on the Yugos.

Moldova for Poland-Lithuania

What was Vietnam's Vietnam?

British delusion strikes again

Yugoslavian partisans controlled half of Yugoslavia and freed it before the Soviets came. They also had their own navy and airforces

Vietnam's Vietnam was Vietnam
/thread

What was Vietnam's America?

We're going to get conquered by space niggers or Russia

I agree with everything you said. I was being reductionist for the sake of brevity.

Also, pic related

When climate change starts driving Africans and Muslims out of their homeland by the hundreds of millions, Russia will get hammered even harder than the west will

Forgot pic

>This is what mentally it British actually believe

Vietnam Cambodian war
Father and uncle was in it. I was young enough to remember it

They won that retard

It would've been had they not intervened, Becky. By 75 pretty much all servicemen were withdrawn.

>You also failed to mention that after centuries of exchange and war with the romans the germanic peoples had significiantly increased their own military technology.
>Americans trained taliban to have them fight against Soviets
>Americans armed rebels in Syria, most of whom joined ISIS
You kinda reinforced his points, you know.

although they won this was not an easy place

QUIA NON EST MIHI
QUIA NON EST MIHI

EGO NON SENATORIS FILIUS

Is OP image historically accurate? Did they really hold pila like spears? Why does it look like some of them are preparing to throw their pilum while the front row is in a kind of semi-testudo formation? If the enemy was close enough for them to hit with their pilum they should be in a formation more suited to close combat. If they are fighting skirmishers then the front row would have a better chance of hitting them. If the skirmishers are just out of range of their pila then the back row is hardly going to hit them.

It's accurate enough, right down to the mixed arms unit and the inconsistently armored legionaries.

And they would use their pila as spears if the situation called for it, particularly if they were being threatened by cavalry.

yur mums haunted pussy

lmao

>gorilla

You seemingly need to improve your reading comprehension. What I had a problem with was his explanation of roman-germanic relations, not his overall point.

Germany still ruled the majority of the population and all the urban centers, they would've continued the occupation for the rest of their days had the USSR not won the war.

Yes, you fucking nigger.

Spain.

Spain wasn't a thing back then.

>mission objective is to halt the tide of communism.
>keeps communism out of the rest of Southeast Asia for 20 years by fighting "war" in veitnam that consists 90% of testing out fun new bombs
>leave when the costs start to outweigh the benefits and we run out of new bomb ideas
>somehow this is a defeat

Underrated post

Quality post

>>leave when the costs start to outweigh the benefits and we run out of new bomb ideas
>Communism takes over entirety of Vietnam
>somehow this is a win

youtube.com/watch?v=jw3Ea8fKIxU

>Us panics the fuck out of Saigon
>No proper evacuation measures were taken beforehand, helicopters that landed on the carrier had to be dumped in the ocean to make more for even more choppers
>US still claims victory after shitting themselves and letting south vietnam fall to communism

Thats more like the philipines if you ask me, since rome actually one in the end.

>Loas and cambodia never fall to communism
>Mission was containment
an expanded quarintine zone doesnt mean its an uncontained epidemic.

>Ottoman Vietnam- Hungary

Didn't they win that? It should be Vienna.

Iraq

Afghanistan

Troy is a legendary place. Either it doesn't exist or it could be anywhere in the world and not related to Greece at all.

Britannia Romanized pretty well actually. They're more like South Korea per the Korean War