Humans killed tens of millions of mammoths with stonespears

>Humans killed tens of millions of mammoths with stonespears

Whats your take Veeky Forums?

That's what we DO.

i wonder what mammoth burgers tasted like

No they didn't. Climate did. We find thousands upon thousands all buried in the same spot in bumfuck nowhere, Siberia.

Human guilt complex. Its environmentalist bullshit. Most of the worlds megafauna died at the same period save for Africa. Did pre-tribal humans kill all of them to?

>pre-tribal humans

No such animal.

>tens of millions
doubt

>are we alone responsible for their extinction?
no

>did we effectively hunt mammuts with just stone spears?
we probably did, but certainly used other methods like traps as well

like elephant burgers, only cold

Don't confuse hunting packs with tribal structures.

We also find them in giant graveyards at the bottom what were (and sometimes still are) cliffs, as if they all lemminged off said cliff.

This just happens to be the way most primitives kill herds of large beasts.

Granted, environment was probably a bigger factor, world wide, but in those places where they cohabitated with man, it's pretty clear they were food.

There's no proof that mommoth extermination was ever a goal. How do you even kill that many with spears? Where did the bodies go? Something is fishy here, and I wonder (((who's))) interest it is to keep that narrative.

It's not a "pack of apes" or a "flock of apes"...

>hairy
>small eyes
>big fangs
Mammoths are related to spiders

It's a Pachydermist conspiracy

It's patently obvious that it's a mix of climate and hunting, mostly climate, and anyone who tries to tell you it's just one of those, as if this sort of thing is ever just one factor, is spinning a narrative.

Humans also killed tens of millions of rabbits

makes more sense than those guys being related to elephants/mammoths

Yes, but rabbits breed like, well, rabbits, in addition to the ability to shelter themselves and quasi-hibernate.

Pachydermis, not so much so.

Both are pretty rascally though.

If you go back far enough... (Mind, I think you hit a common ancestor in the process.)

world cold
mammoth have hair
hair protect mammoth from cold
ice melt
world become warm
mammoth become hot because hair]
mammoth die of heat
humans with spears finish the rest

Mammoths were much smaller.

it is conclusively proven that humans caused the extinction of megafauna all over the world. climate change has been shown to have been less of a factor in their extinction than hunting.

>it is conclusively proven that humans caused the extinction of megafauna all over the world. climate change has been shown to have been less of a factor in their extinction than hunting.

They why didn't humans wipe out mammoths in Asia?

And as mammoths survived in Asia despite the climate change, why didn't mammoths survive in N.America?

This is one of those things that made me really sad to discover. Same with sabertooth cats, I thought they were bigger than tigers but they're not.

Is this extinction revisionism?

>mass extinction once every ~120 million years
Is the solar system revolving through meteorite fields on a regular basis?

does this cheer you up?

fuck

or this?

mostly climate change and change in atmospherical composition, natural competition between living beings and huge vulcanic erruptions
all of them follow strange cycles and are connected to each other

if they're bigger than polar bears, then yes
yeah gigantopithecus was a joy to discover, it boggles my mind to imagine those things existing like god damn

also, argentavis

Be of good cheer, there was more than one kind of mammoth.

>if they're bigger than polar bears, then yes

>a fucking 6 foot, 2200 pounds bear runs at you with 40 mph

More than one kind of sabertooth cat as well.

6 foot at the shoulders that is
they were 10-12 feet (3-3.7 m) tall

this
dire wolves were still a slight dissappointment for me

That's awesome, but I guess they weren't around when humans hunted them?

>ywn have a Moeritherium as your doggo style pet

>diet included large herbivores such as bison
just imagine those fuckers clash

>and ground sloths
w...which ones?

what, but I'm sure there were bigger wolves than that...weren't there?

Good eating

nope direwolves were on average bigger than your average wolf, its just about the size of a really big grey wolf, but it was still much deadlier because it had a stronger bite force

>>ywn have a Moeritherium as your doggo style pet
invest in a tapir

>that Nothrotheriops giving the finger
>watch it Nothro

I want to not think that's lame, but that's lame

its like a superpack of wolves because every member is like an alpha wolf whereas a normal pack will have only a few really large ones, its a much scarier situation.

If I'm correct only the wooly mammoth was contemporary to human hunters.

you are

I bet the first time a human hopped onto a wild horse and tamed it would make one of the greatest stories ever, at least if we could understand them. Can you fucking imagine the balls that guy had to have? I love imagining this ancient tribe of people and out of nowhere Ulaag rides up with a very confused, scared, and beaten horse beneath him. Must have looked like a god.

>all megafauna died out
>somehow humans hunted all of them to extinction

kek

Takes the solar system about 230 million years to orbit the galactic center, but you'll notice the extinction events are quite a bit more erratic than that.

The causes of extinction events are also rather widely varied, though in some cases, also a bit mysterious. However, given all the things that can go wrong, both terrestrial and cosmological, I think the closest thing we have to evidence of the divine is that there's only been a handful of major extinction events, instead of thousands. (It's insane the number of things that can go wrong - and we discover a few new ones every decade, and every once in a great while, invent a new one.)

The first time was certainly with a foal.
>hey why don't we keep this youngster alive?
>gru? why?
>it will grow up and then we'll have more meat!
>ok
5 years later
>look I can ride it!

>>look I can ride it!
:^)

>Not sure if you don't know what "megafauna" means or "died out," or what "all" means...

what
said, but also yes
basically just the fact that we move closer or farther away from other solar systems or galaxies has enough gravitational effect to sometimes fling space rock from the exterior of our solar system back inwards

At best, one or two of those extinctions were due to asteroids. GRB, nearby novas, massive volcanic activity, biologically generated environmental changes, solar flares, fire storms, methane releases, cascade events, all sorts of shit happens. Asteroids are about the least of our worries, despite webm related.

fuck, how are we even alive?

>Takes the solar system about 230 million years to orbit the galactic center
that blew my mind right now. We always hear about earth being billions of years old but I never thought it actually has orbited the galaxy multiple times

nah the big shit can stay dead

how the fuck did this things retarded cousin survive but this hulking brute ddnt?

small things survive better, that's why all the greatest warriors are manlets

the elephant bird died out in the 1700s for some reason

>some reason
That's one we are pretty damn sure we hunted into extinction

one is slow and can hide in trees the other was probably slow and couldn't

why did megalodon die btw?

Traps are gay

The most significant extinctions occurred to Pangaea coming together and then breaking apart later, this effected the depth of the sea, the amount of tropical shallow waters, the ocean patterns, the rain shadow on the massive continent, etc.

probably ran out of equally big shit to eat other than whales, which probably started moving to colder climates to avoid them, but now we have Orcas anyway

so that's how they went extinct
they fell for the trap meme

I'm really fucking glad that Megalodon isn't around anymore. Even the lower bound for size estimates is almost too terrifying to properly contemplate.

Oceans provide the conditions for some scary goddamn shit to come into being.

But I thought humans where all evil and the opposite of nature.

>"tree of life" structure outside the Eukaryota

cringe

SPLIT YOUR LUNGS WITH BLOOD AND THUNDER

Have we not only explored 5% of the ocean, my guess is the deeper you go the bigger animals you will find, the big octopus for example, maybe megladons are lurking about down there.

?

Horizontal gene transfer predominates outside the Eukaryota, meaning a classical phylogenetic tree structure is not applicable. Different parts of the same microbial genome may have completely different lineages.

tl;dr: Modern synthesis (i.e. the standard model of Darwinian evolution as accepted in the 20th century) was disproven as anything but a special case for some organisms in the last decade but popular science has yet to notice.

t. computational biologist

long-noses

>tl;dr: longer than rest of post

actually it died out in the 900s and humans were a major factor

Are you a meme?

There are 2 possible reasons:
1- Their prey(whales and other big stuff) population diminished too much
2-Competition from the ancient delphinidae who had more success since they hunted in pods.

Basically their size was their downfall since they needed a lot of calories and got fucked by that once they couldn't reach the sufficient amount anymore.

I thought mastodons were around during human development as well. I guess I need to brush up on my shit.

"Transplanting the idea of a family tree to all life in general was a mistake"

Happy?

What do you mean?

Damn, that's one specie I'm sad over its disappearance.

I'm very glad huge bugs aren't around anymore.

Imagine, they would just fucking lay down their eggs in you and eat you like in horror movies.

yeah, but chromosomal integrating elements undergoing horizontal gene transfer are integrating at fixed posistions and we have a pretty good idea of the evolution of bacteria through chromosomal DNA alone. HGT doesn't completely fuck up genetic trees
it's harder to figure out which bacteria first had certain plasmids, yeah, but that's another story

pretty sure humans didn't breed with fish

then explain this

checkmate atheists

orcas wrecked his shit

I thought megafauna died out mainly because oxygen levels dropped.

depends on the period
at the time were stuff like was around (about 300 million years ago) the oxygen level were highest allowing those bugs to get so big. After the levels dropped they all died
But during the period were most of the stuff in this thread was alive the O2 levels were quite stable at todays level (which is good considering humans were alive at the same time some of those were)

that was giant insects during carboniferous

>we have a pretty good idea of the evolution of bacteria through chromosomal DNA alone.

We have enough of an idea to know it's meaningless to conceptualize it as a branching tree. It's a very complex web. But otherwise the field is still largely in a flux with many competing ideas (even regarding the exact delineation of the concept of microbial species for that matter...) since the previous rock-solid consensus failed.

In fact much focus today is also on re-evaluating the supposed low importance of horizontal gene transfer in eukaryotes as well.

HGT is not just closely related bacteria trading plasmids, that's 1980s level stuff. We know of gene transfers across huge evolutionary distances, between bacteria and eukaryotes (both ways!), bacteria and prokaryotes.

Fish and humans are both eukaryotes.

>It's a very complex web
yeah, ok

>HGT is not just closely related bacteria trading plasmids
i know, but i was under the impression that we have atleast rough ideas were those plasmids originated and for chromosomal integration we can normally identify what was integrated and what wasn't and the accumulation of mutations again tells us the phylogeny of that integrated part for the most part.
But you seem to me more up to date than me, so i guess i have to read more recent papers instead of my old books

>between bacteria and eukaryotes (both ways!)
yeast is weird; it doesn't count

*bacteria and other procaryotes

>people complain humans have been causing mass extinctions since the industrial revolution
>humans have actually been causing mass extinctions of countless other species since the cognitive revolution

Our species has been rendering entire continents devoid of life since we first left the savanah

You'd get used to it probably