Why did communal bathing go out of fashion?

Why did communal bathing go out of fashion?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nude_swimming#Indoor_pools
youtube.com/watch?v=w0ZpHBON3uQ
youtube.com/watch?v=MOmFSflNiQU
youtube.com/watch?v=0Www2vf3Fas
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Gellért
youtube.com/watch?v=NwjRBfnuWXI
bbc.com/news/magazine-24493177
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

barbarians pissed in the pool

Because its unsanitary and degenerate.

1. Christianity made the notion of modesty more popular, and so bathing naked with other men was discouraged.

2. Communal bathing has tremendous potential for spreading disease. Of course, the people in antiquity had no idea what actually caused diseases but they still could identify patterns. And one consistent pattern was that whenever there was some nasty disease going around, the last place you'd ever want to go was communal baths. At least one Roman doctor wrote that spending too much time in the baths was unhealthy, and that if you had any sort of open cut or wound, you should avoid the baths entirely until you were certain that it had healed. And his advice was absolutely right, even if he probably had no idea why this was the case.

>soaking in a tub of filth with strangers

Germ theory

Because only the Japanese are honorable enough to carry the torch of the glory of Rome.

Pic related.

first prove the propensity of communal bathing in antiquity then figure out its occurrence in later eras then draw conclusions off real evidence instead of HBO's rome and some degenerate neets and uni students rambling

Every roman settlement had a public bath or dozen. Same can be said for Ottomans.

Go read a book.

In early 20th century America, public swimming pools were nude and now the only place where that's the case are places where gays go to ram each other in the ass.

You're supposed to shower first, right?

How the fuck is he able to split like that

That's some top tier bullshit

t. Archaeology

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nude_swimming#Indoor_pools

It’s Japan, ain’t gotta explain shit

Huh. I take that back.

E.g. Sutro Baths.

Germs were discovered.

Yeah, that's not really well-known history. I only know about it because I was subscribed to this guy during the time I was an ancap.

youtube.com/watch?v=w0ZpHBON3uQ

Where I live it's still a thing :)

We are Roma-jin ^^

I wish I could be nude around people in a non sexual way without feeling shame.

Admit it user, with a diet and lifestyle like yours, you could be naked around other people and none of them would have sexual thoughts about you.

What I'm saying is that you are a fat fuck.

IIRC it was because of some scare in the 1970s, it was more common in the US before then.

Tru

Yes, but that water is superheated so it'll kill any germs anyway.

Aren't they starting to decline because most people have a shower at their own place now?

Even here in the states Asians have a higher propensity to use pool showers naked.
There are also Jacuzzis and Turkish baths are still around. I wonder what the pool in Codename 47 was based off.

Slavs and Fingols prefer to take baths in iceponds instead.

lmao
yes

as if anyone but you actually did the research and isn't just going along with a meme

It's still a group activity in East Asia. I know for a fact Koreans fucking love their saunas. You don't know how clean you feel until you've been flayed by an ahjimma.

supposed to make more immune to sickness, souping probably more

Finngols have a very degenerate sauna culture.

t. Retarded yankee closet faggot

youtube.com/watch?v=MOmFSflNiQU
youtube.com/watch?v=0Www2vf3Fas

dark ages

your post is 100% betaness

>muh le puritan values
t. murrifat

no chaingangs to maintain those aqueducts maybe
no idea but public sauna have a pool sometimes they used to be pretty popular until recently

and Iceland

Soaking in a pool sized bathtub with several people is disgusting. What's not to get?
You don't have a personal shower/tub at home?

this is the silliest thing.

I can do that too, and have been able to since I was like 5.

The fuck are public pools

>sauna
>unhygienic

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Gellért

Is a sauna a pool?

>Have no shame in front of your brothers
>Get clean and strengthen your immune system
>Create lasting bonds
>Degenerate

Because liberal desegregated public pools so everyone fled from the niggers

It hasn't, public pools still exist.

As do spas, don't know what it's like in America, but in Europe there are tons of communal spas that are just like the japanese ones.

Le pee

seriously tho if they invented some top filters or something I would be taking a schwitz is one of these ever day

No you dumb gaijin, going to the onsen is not a replacement for taking a daily bath.

Chr*stians

AIDS in the pool

Business in Finland is 90% about sauna and vodka with the russkies.

It didn't in middle-east or far east. Turkish baths, Japanese bathing springs etc. all exist.

I've heard it was mostly because of the Black Death. Prior to that, communal bathing was pretty big in Europe. They were so traumatized by the mini apocalypse that the French would rather remain filthy and smelly for centuries afterward than risk another outbreak.

Can't say about the rest of the country, but my village still has a public bath that was still used until the 60´s or so.

Was it communal bathing kino?

youtube.com/watch?v=NwjRBfnuWXI

The non-meme answer is that people (in Europe) stopped bathing regularly during the black death, because they thought bathing weakened your immune system.

t.virgin

What about the Jews.

The Black Death. People started bathing communally for fear of contracting the plague.

Except that is a meme answer, and that isn't how miasma theory worked?

Its still a thing in turkey.

how could they know about the immune system
they didn´t even open corpses

>they didn't even open corpses

>you will never have a bath party with your lads and lasses
i want to go back...

very underrated

It was mostly a problem in Paris and among the nobility if I recall correctly. Some villages and such did maintain their baths but the big cities didn't.

No not the onsen, I just mean the public baths. The reason they were set up in the first place was because of a lack of household showers.

It's still common in Europe and East Asia. In North America (especially the USA) the most recent generations (Millennials and Z-ers) have gotten modest to the point of changing under towels at the pool, if they change at all.

This went on well into the 70s. At all-male (obviously) Catholic schools it was particularly common.

In the medieval era it was illegal to dissect human corpses

Well public baths definitely require a high trust society so normalizing it in the West is not going to happen any time soon, if ever again.

Westerners are also far too prudish from two thousand years of Christianity. Look at how people are so sex crazed once they graduate high school and go to college.

No need to leave home for that

Have you never been in a gym locker room or do you go exclusively to ram other men in the ass

I just don't think it is possible for Americans on a broad scale to ever get used to public bathing. It would take more than just kids becoming "more cultured" and "more Neapolitan" to get them to be naked around each other (ie the opposite sex) without feeling weird. America is a hyper sexualized society which, at birth, views nudity = sex. Notice how kids are taken aback when viewing ancient Greek/Roman art and sculptures. And also movies and television constantly relate any sort of nudity to sex.

When foreigners came here we became filled with disgust at each others borders.

>inb4 Rome was a multiracial empire of peace

Haha, no.

>borders
I mean bodies.

stretch nigga

Same.

So wait, why DID communal bathing go out of style?

My theory:

1) The main thing you need for a bath is some way to heat the water. Ancient Rome figured this out. They used slave labor. As the Empire crumbled, no city could afford the heating cost. Save for a few cities in Europe, as you can see in this thread.

2) When home bathing became possible, due to the heating problem being solved, public baths were essentially over. In Europe, my guess anyway, most cities couldn't afford public baths even today.

In defense of 2, I recall that Beau Brummell was one of the first daily bathers of his era and he was rich and had to go to great lengths to heat his bath, rather, his servants had to go to great lengths.

In the fossil fuel era, hot baths are a trivial matter. The energy is plentiful and is practically free from the ground.

To defend my contentions, Google roman baths still in use.

Here's one:

bbc.com/news/magazine-24493177

Communal bathing, specifically the Roman type required some sort of patronage or government funding to keep running. As Rome declined so did their public bathing. Public bathing remained popular in wealthy eastern cities for centuries and still exists to some degree in Turkey for example.
It had nothing to do with:

hot water at home on tap, before that it took an hour or more to heat enough water for a bath. water is a bastard to heat, takes huge amounts of energy.

I'm thinking as rome declined and their civilization lost knowledge they grew fearful of water, thinking it spread some disease that was rampant at the time. so public baths went out of style for the most part.