Alright Veeky Forums, I'm currently learning NodeJS

Alright Veeky Forums, I'm currently learning NodeJS

What other programming languages should I know that'll be popular in the next 3-5 years and will command me a high salary?

Python, also you have to taken into account that something else might come up and become popular. So it's worth learning good practices as well.

python nodejs go

dick sucking

Solidity, noSQL, cobol

Sentdex and Corey Schafer are both great youtube channels for learning python from the beginner level.

Does anyone know any good youtube channels which deal with data structures, algorithms, and algorithm efficiency?

If you're going for Node the you might as well learn the rest of the MEAN stack. You will be instantly employable. Throw in some React for good measure.

/g/ will tell you these are meme frameworks and they might be right, but they will get you a job.

As much as it pains me to say, only Node will probably last.

Python is already showing its impracticality in large-scale solutions, so it'll probably find its niche but not going to be popular in corporate environment.

Assuming someone wants to learn js/python/sql and eventually branch into stuff like web scrapers, bots, and ultimately blockchain, could you reccommend a good foundational text(s) for learning that first language, that will also will also impart the right mindset/learning habits?

Why don't you go straight into blockchain right now? Learn solidity and go from there.

> impracticality in large-scale solutions

Most solutions are not large-scale and will not be within the next 10-15 years

Play some programming game for kids, not even shitting you. Those are great at getting you familiarized with basic concepts and last time I had my hands on one I was surprised how effortlessly it makes you feel to learn even complex stuff.

like what?

blockchain just seems like some heavy stuff to jump right into

I should be programming way more so I can get a dev job but I can't stop browsing Veeky Forums and watching anime and Bittrex candles.

me too
and I just turned 27 :^)

:^(

pascal and cobol

anyone stating otherwise is a code monkey

good programmers have passion for programming and learned that shit as kids. what makes people believe that by reading a book about nodejs or angular will get you a 100k job ?

wow I just turned 26, we're so alike senpai

I'd say lets be friends but you deserve better

> elixir
Immutable language
Concurrent
Fault tolerant

> phoenix
Read about Phoenix presence

JS is hot now but I'm looking at its replacement

Got a discord name? I am working with some nice people from there on learning, maybe we could keep each other from drifting totally off course. Just installed an SSD and putting linux on it, setting up a digitalocean server and a webdev environment so I can easily push updates from my word processor to git/server

It's just how druggies think. Their brains are fucked up by the damage drugs did to their reward systems, making them think no effort must be given to achieve results.

lol total bullshit. learned webprogramming and python in the matter of a year and after 2 years i landed a 100k job

"look at all these people thinking they can learn something, haha, if you don't learn x when you are 12 years old you might as well kill yourself"

reeks of insecurity guys. Believe it or not, both neets and normies jump into dev careers with minimal backgrounds and go on to do fine. What the fuck is your problem?

sodility and memology

heh nevermind, you seem to be doing pretty well for yourself

I'm a noob with assburgers who used to have depression. Good luck with your efforts though.

This might be true but I got into a decent uni (in Europe so no debt) so if I can just pass the courses maybe I can get a low skill comfy job. I know I don't have a talent for it but it's either that or minimum wage

you can do that if you studied computer science or something related at uni. Otherwise if you are past 25 and haven't even coded your first website or app then its going to be a long way until you are able to command a high salary (something around 100k)

Here is a list of things you should learn in no particular order:
C/c++98/c++11
C#
Asm
Html/scss
Js - es6/7,nodejs,react,angular,jquery
Grunt/gulp/jekyll
Swift
Objective-c
Solidity
Python
Ruby
Php
Mvc.net / entity framework
UWP
React native

Have fun!
t. Software dev

You're so full of shit it hurts

Seriously suggesting that you need a fucking computer science degree to be a web dev is massively retarded

Assembly

>mean
>2017
I dunno senpai

I'm talking about high paying jobs, not simply a code monkey web dev. you need that or/and lots of experience to get a high paying job. If you dont mind to be a junior web dev for a couple years then yeah, you still need to put lots of effort if you want to get selected between the 100s of pajeets.

wrong board, all you need is the green language of money in here

JS is good as it can be used in so many ways. Figure out what you want to do with it first (backend, frontend, mobile, etc) and then work on specializing in that field.

react makes 14-20k € (20-25k) usd a month currently if own company. software companies charge 13-19k eur a month per coder atm. banks etc. as customers often

Well you make a fair point I am not trying to make small of the whole field or discount the value of people who were early adopters/enthusiasts as children

My goal is just to get a basic web dev job and see where I can go in a few years. I don't think it is easy for people who made all the right moves early in life and graduated college before 23 years old, to realize that a 30-40k/yr job where you sit inside a building and actually learn useful things is like, life changing.

I used to write web pages in notepad when I was 14 and fucked with hamachi / apachi when I was a little kid. I've been using computers since my dad brought home a Commodore, I'm not exactly starting from zero experience

how long should this take me if I'm into it? Cause I am so far. When will my enthusiasm die?

If you pick up the fundamentals of programming then transitioning between languages is as simple as learning a new syntax and some minor differences.

To that end, do learn c and c++98 first. The closer to the metal you get, the more you'll understand what a programming language is actually doing to the hardware.

What's the latest new bullshit then

Mainly react instead of angular and people still don't like non relational databases except for skeptic use cases where lookup speed is greater than all else

And no one likes express except frontend devs

GOLD JEWING is a 10/10 trait for after the war

learned cobol, and jesus christ this language.. however i managed to make it through years of coding it and had job offerings for 200k+ for banks / insurance to maintain servers on z/os ibm - they are thristy..
i earn less now, because that language is soul sucking

>Objective-c
lmao you fucking nigger

Dont overcomplicate it. MITx 6.001 and 6.002 online course is probably all you need at first. Be prepared to invest at 20-30h/week tho, especially if you never coded before. Do all the exercises on your own.

After that you should be able to actually start working on your own small projects, learning along the way. The language doesn't matter, really. Either you get it or you won't.

:^)

It's great for microservice architecture which is growing popular even in enterprise

>6.001
>6.002
What are these titled exactly im getting multiple hits

MITx: 6.00.1x Introduction to Computer Science and Programming Using Python.