Why did he invade Russia?

Why did he invade Russia?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nuLum7nEqEk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because he could

His enemies were many, his equals were none.

They undermined the continental system they had agreed to support.

How?

before the invasion pretty much all of europe was embargoing britain, then the czar said fuck that and instead of talking it over napoleon invaded

Because there was no one saying "you cant invade russia, look what happened to napoleon," yet.

Talking what over?

lol that was a thing long before napoleon, the swedes first tasted this military maxim in 1707.

>His enemies were many, his equals were none.
I Honestly get chills everytime I read this..

>His enemies were many, his equals were none.
who does this come from?

>forgetting spain

they just pulled out of the Continental System

napoelon total war intro, fucking loved that game, multiplayer was the best in the series because napoleonic formations make for better tactics than the melee blobs in other total war games

>who does this come from?
Napoleon Total War

thanks lads, I have never played this game, I have Empire total war though, great game

He never fought in spain.

That doesn't mean he should invade Russia

Enforce the continental blockade as agreed by both parties after the Tsar's peace request

What happens here?

Officially, to protect Poland. In reality, though, the Russians were bribed by the British to stop complying with the Continental system. And with at least a trading partner, the British could have prolonged the war for a long while.
It wasn't a badly planned campaign, the Russians had been soundly defeated before. Was supposed to be a big show of force, forcing his new "allies" to comply, slap the Russians around a bit, and everyone would be home before winter. Then Napoléon could have squashed the Spanish ulcer, and forced the British into a lasting peace. But then the Russians went full scorched earth. It's not exactly a new tactic, but as far as I know it had never been applied to that extent.

the aim was the Brits, those sea Jews could retreat on their island forever if they had a way to sell their shit somewhere

Because he wanted a Russian gf.

being a naval base or an airbase

>airbase

Wouldn't it make more sense to just c
Form a blockade around Britain?

youtube.com/watch?v=nuLum7nEqEk

>It wasn't a badly planned campaign,
hmmmm

The guy ruined his army by chasing the russians back to moscow, then deciding to head home in winter.

Possibly the two worst moves a general could make

Are you saying that France's fleet could have blockaded Great Britain?

Holy shit it gave me the chills

Told you so user ;)

>tfw Napoleon didn't plan a joint invasion with Sweden and the Ottomans

It would be easier than just invading it

>implying Sweden wasn't against France

He could have not done it, he had a fleet built and the british destroyed it

Talking over why he should keep the embargo with Britain on, you mong

Why did Russia stop

I said it wasn't badly planned, not that it wasn't badly executed, didn't I ?

Nah, the French and Spanish fleet had gotten rekt multiple times. They could have had rebuilt one, he had all the ressources for it, but that means a state of war for decades. Easier to just patrol the coast and leave the Brits with nowhere to buy and sell stuff, though yeah, not as effective.

>implying they would have had any choice

You think the Austrians and Prussians were with France ? And yet they sent tens of thousands of men for the Russian Campaign.

but Veeky Forums told me the british only ever won wars against natives with sticks?? WTF???

Naval battles don't count. Bravery and skill aren't in play there, just trickery and bigger guns. The British never won anything in the Napoleonic and Revolutionary wars in an equal fight, or without heavy """support""" by their allies.

Why didn't he then march on and chill in St. Petersburg?

Nelson was widely feared. If Villeneuve had known that the British admiral was present outside Cadiz harbour, it seems unlikely that even the scathing messages from Napoleon would have enticed him to sea. An American captain sailing into Cadiz assured the French admiral that Nelson was still in London.

They wanted to trade with us, and who can blame them.

>Bravery and skill aren't in play there
Why are you on this board?

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Burn it!