So, anybody else getting funky vibes from Abraham and Isaac? Like...

So, anybody else getting funky vibes from Abraham and Isaac? Like, maybe he actually did sacrifice him and back in the old days people were like "Yeah, Jerusalem is so cool! A guy killed his kid to make this temple! That's awesome!" but then people's morality shifted and suddenly sacrificing your kids went out of style and they changed it so the people of Jerusalem felt less bad about living on a kid's grave? That's kind of the vibe I get from it. What do you think, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

patheos.com/blogs/faithpromotingrumor/2011/04/when-abraham-killed-isaac/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

He didnt

He did

Yahweh explicitly demands child sacrifice in Exodus 13:12, 29-30. Even though those verses were later reinterpreted Ezekiel 20:25-26 implies that the Israelites actually did understand them to be sanctioning child sacrifice in the past.

Several kings and judges of Israel and Judah, Jephthah, Manasseh, Ahaz, are recorded practicing human sacrifice, although it claims they were influenced by Canaanites.

The Israelites also believed child sacrifice to be supernaturally effective when performed by their enemies (2 Kings 3).

The academic consensus is that the Israelites did practice child sacrifice at one point and Abraham probably went through with it in the originally story of the binding of Isaac.

tip harder faggot

The whole story of Abraham and Isaac is a story about how you should always do whatever the fuck God commands you do to. But since the story also wants to show you that God is gentle and kind it was all a test to see if Abraham would do what he was told, so he passed the test without having to lose anything, because God is such a great guy.

Isaac had no children at that point in time.

Isaac fathered Jacob and Esau (and likely some unnamed daughters).

So you figure it out, whether or not Abraham killed him.

I just read exodus 29-30 and I didn't see anything about child sacrifice in there.

‘For I will pass through the land of Egypt on that night, and will strike all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the Lord.

And it came to pass at midnight that the Lord struck all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh who sat on his throne to the firstborn of the captive who was in the dungeon, and all the firstborn of livestock. 30 So Pharaoh rose in the night, he, all his servants, and all the Egyptians; and there was a great cry in Egypt, for there was not a house where there was not one dead.

THERE IS LITERALLY NO WAY YOU CANNOT UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS THE 10TH AND GREATEST PLAGUE GOD STRUCK EGYPT WITH.

LITERALLY NO WAY HUMANLY POSSIBLE.

Guy's brain dead. Seriously.

Pretty much this. Not even a fedora but it's most likely that it's all mythological; Abraham likely didn't exist as a historical figure.

Let's see what we have.

God ordained the only begotten son to die. Abraham wakes up, grabs Isaac and the necessary stuff, some servants, and heads off to Mt. Moriah where the son is to die.

Isaac is in his mid-30's, a grown man, without wife, and without child.

Isaac, a man in his mid-30's, who has done no wrong, is carrying the wood for the sacrifice, up Mt. Moriah, to lay down his life at his father's hand, because that is God's will.

Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Hint: Mt. Moriah would later be called Golgotha.

Hint 2: When God stayed Abraham's hand, God provided a ram for the sacrifice.

Under inspiration of the Holy Spirit of God, Abraham had answered Isaac's question about the missing sacrifice with this prophetic statement:

God will provide Himself a Lamb for the sacrifice.

You don't exist either, by your logic.

Exodus 22:29-30, sorry

The 10th plague against Egypt.

The plague that broke Egypt's back.

You think that 10th plague is something God wants his own people to do. Kill their own children.

Study the Passover before you come back here to post your nonsense.

How were those verses later interpreted to not be about child sacrifice?

They were never about child sacrifice in the first place.

The 10th plague against Egypt, against their god of the dead specifically, was the death of the first born male of everything in Egypt. First born son, first born camel, first born cow, everything.

So if your father was the oldest son in his family, he died. If he had three sons, the oldest son died.

Nobody in Egypt did not have a funeral to go to that day. That was the power of YHWH over the Egyptian god of the dead.

It broke Egypt's back, and the Hebrews were finally allowed unconditional egress from their 400 year captivity, along with enough gold and precious gems from Egypt to make them rich.

I'm reading the verses in context here and it seems like it's not a description of the 10th plague, but a list of commands from God. God is commanding you to do a bunch of stuff, among which is that you should sacrifice your firstborn child, but then not sacrifice them. (?)

That's if I understand this correctly.

I don't know what you're reading.

Exodus 12
The Tenth Plague: Death of the Firstborn

And it came to pass at midnight that the Lord struck all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh who sat on his throne to the firstborn of the captive who was in the dungeon, and all the firstborn of livestock. So Pharaoh rose in the night, he, all his servants, and all the Egyptians; and there was a great cry in Egypt, for there was not a house where there was not one dead.

Yeah, from my understanding of reading that, God is saying that since he brought you out of Egypt, you are to sacrifice your firstborn son, but then redeem him and not sacrifice him.

Am I reading this wrong?

It seems kind of silly to even debate this since it says right there you're not supposed to sacrifice your son.

Yes, you are. As wrong as wrong can be.

You read my post, above your post, and concluded that God wants the Hebrews to kill their own children.

What does this have to do with Passover? This is God giving the Herbews his laws 10 chapters later at Sinai

I don't know what to tell you. I guess just read the full chapters with full context, and look at the verses that he specifically cited and you'll see that I'm right. If you can't be arsed to do that, I can't help you.

Also, I googled the subject and found this:

patheos.com/blogs/faithpromotingrumor/2011/04/when-abraham-killed-isaac/

According to this, E never mentions Isaac again, so that would answer this guy:

>Isaac had no children at that point in time.

>Isaac fathered Jacob and Esau (and likely some unnamed daughters).

>So you figure it out, whether or not Abraham killed him.

Child sacrifice was endemic to ANE religions. As Judaism evolved out of local Canaanite mythology, absorbing and discarding practices as they saw fit, it shouldn't really surprise you. Also the Bible treats Isaac like a nonperson. It just sounds like someone copy pasted the adventures of Abraham just replaced everything with Isaac.

>The whole story of Abraham and Isaac is a story about how you should always do whatever the fuck God commands you do to
You know it's not a command, right? The Hebrew uses the phrase קַח-נָא אֶת-בִּנְךָ "Please take your son".

>Child sacrifice was endemic to ANE religions

and people wrote about Carthage sacrificing children

This is Passover.

The angel of death is passing over the Hebrews who have put lamb's blood on their doorways (in the shape of a cross)(with a hyssop branch).

Yes, I already knew that you are a complete fool. You didn't have to prove it.

When your king tells you "please leave my audience chamber", what do you do?

What happens if you do not?

Show me any competing instances in Biblical Hebrew where נָא is used for something other than a request. Show me any times in the Bible where God uses it instead of just flatly commanding people.

Just to clarify, any OTHER instances other than Genesis 22 of God using נָא/please.

Was my question too difficult for you to answer?

2 וַיֹּ֡אמֶר קַח־נָ֠א אֶת־בִּנְךָ֨ אֶת־יְחִֽידְךָ֤ אֲשֶׁר־אָהַ֙בְתָּ֙ אֶת־יִצְחָ֔ק וְלֶךְ־לְךָ֔ אֶל־אֶ֖רֶץ הַמֹּרִיָּ֑ה וְהַעֲלֵ֤הוּ שָׁם֙ לְעֹלָ֔ה עַ֚ל אַחַ֣ד הֶֽהָרִ֔ים אֲשֶׁ֖ר אֹמַ֥ר אֵלֶֽיךָ׃

Which word are you talking about? You're the only one that (thinks he) knows Hebrew here.

>קַח
Word Parsed:
קַח
Parts of Speech: Verb Qal Imperative
Root:
לקח
Strong's Number: H3947
Infinitive Definition: 1. to take, get,
fetch, lay hold of,
seize,...

H3947
First 30 of 909 occurrences of H3947 לקח

kek

Your Hebrew might suck as bad as I think it does. The word is used dozens of times before Genesis 22.

>Imperative

That's not "Please".