History Class Thread

In this thread let us discuss what we were/weren't taught in history class.
Also include your Country and region if it matters.

Canada
Grade 4-8 History was called Social Studies which was basically just English with more pictures,movies and history based assignments. We didn't really delve much into the actual history it was basically just a backdrop."Write a short story as if you were a pioneer coming to Canada in the 1700's"
grade 4 history which was Greek Myths and The Dairy of Anne Frank and Holocaust movies. We also technically did Medieval history but it was basically just a excuse to make us get our parent to help us make a Castle. Some guys came with Medieval armor and let us try it on once that was cool.
Grade 5-8 were Jacques Cartier all the way to the war of 1812. All I remember is some vague shit about playing cards as currency and lake forts.
Grade 9 was 100% WW1+WW2 mostly just talked about Canada's iconic battles and the Schlieffen plan. Lots of Movies. I don't even remember the Soviet Union being mentioned at all. Barely any discussion about how Germany became Nazi Germany.
Grade 10 was 1812 up to Canada becoming a real country. A little bit of WW1+2.
Grade 11 my Teacher was sick for the first half of the class so for about 2 and a half months we spent 90% of the time watching movies about Mesopotamia and Egypt instead of having a real class on it. We then finished up Egypt with the actual teacher and then did Rome. We were apparently supposed to also learn about China but that never happened.
I heard you get assignment overload in Grade 12 History so I skipped it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oIeYoF1VhHc
youtube.com/watch?v=BNcERXGcpEY
ibtimes.com/how-many-people-did-joseph-stalin-kill-1111789
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I was raised in Mexico for most of my childhood. It was also a private school.
We had world history in english, very basic overview on the many civilizations starting with the Babylonians, all the way to late 19th century.
Very last year of jr.High school, ve had a very extensive class on the history of Mexico which is/was really interesting. Meseoamerican to modern Mexico. We had to do read almost all the time.
On sophomore year, i moved back to the US were I good Work History again, and it was surprisingly easy.
US history was jr year, and I really enjoyed it, my teacher was well read, and enthusiastic about; however, every once in a while we had the shitty assignment were we had to bring a costume, or draw propaganda.
Senior yr I took European history AP, which was highly interesting, same bullshit assignments (PowerPoint presentation), and my teacher really didn't care to teach, but she knew what she was talking about.
Hopefully I take history on college next semester.

United States
>Never learned anything about history in my education.
>Usually just took note on the topic, never focused on class.
>never did the homework.
>Just went home YouTubed documentaries on the topic we were supposed to be learning about.
>got perfect grades on all my tests which averaged out my failing homework grades.

Public Highschool education in America is a joke, thank God I got myself into a decent university to do my undergrad.

France

-6ème: Fertile Crescent, Greece, Republican and Imperial Rome, early Christianity, tiny bit on the Dark Ages, then Early Middle Ages, focused on Charlemagne and the Byzantines.
-5ème: Islam, Middle Ages, Crusades, Renaissance and Humanists, War of Religions.
-4ème: Absolutism, Colonialism, the Lumières, the Revolution, Napoléon, quickly the whole 19th century.
-3ème: WW1, WW2, Holocaust (not Anne Frank, but "Un Sac de Bille", far superior book), decolonization, Cold War, then basically all the way to 9/11.
-Seconde: Focus on the culture and inner workings of Rome and the Greek city-states, then of Feudal society. Lumières again, Colonisation again, Revolutions again.
-Première: 19th century in general (industrial revolution, globalisation), Immigration, WW1 (muh nationalism), WW2 (muh Shoah), Totalitarian regimes, Colonisatiom, Decolonisation, Cold War, the French Republic in general.
Terminale: Historiography of the Holocaust, Media and Public opinion, US, China, France, UE.

I had great teachers, and it was a private Catholic school, so they toned down the state propaganda and added a bit of theirs.

>Be me
>Go to private catholic school in the US
>Detailed history classes of the history United States and Modern Europe
>Decent library too
>Learn a lot about local state history
Feels good, my dudes

Forgot to mention that from 6ème to 3ème, we occasionally checked out what was happening in Africa, the Americas or Asia at the same time. But it was more like "Btw, in China there's this guy called Qin Shi Huang who unified the different kingdoms." and they the teachers said we'll come back to it later. But we never did.

USA, Midwest
6th Grade: Half geography, half Ancient Civilizations, starting at the Fertile Crescent/Mesopotamia -> Egypt -> Greece ->Rome -> China in general

7th Grade: Early American history from the puritans to the Civil war and Reconstruction

8th Grade: Late Antebellum south through the 1950's. Particularly notable for being taught various specific topics like Sacco and Vanzetti, Lizzie Borden, the Lindbergh baby kidnapping, and the possible conspiracy theories my teacher would present along them (which he may very well have believed) He looked like a fat white Malcom X, but a interesting dude.

Freshman High School: Honors "Ideas and Ideologies", looked at the various political and philosophical changes over the millennia as a case-by-case study. Studied Hammurabi's code, Greek philosophy, Stalin's liquidation of the Kulaks.
Sophomore: A elective course "Ancient History", more in-depth about the various civilizations (I have the project file for my Hittites lecture we had to present).
Junior: AP US History. Very ball-buster, but very unbiased teacher. Almost everyone in her class got a 5 on the exam (out of 30 kids)
Senior: None required, debated about doing AP European History but had other ones already lined up.

Sounds pretty close to what I did, do you live in Ontario? Only differences I can remember were that Grade 3 was Pioneers, Grade 4 was Medieval, and 5, 6 and 7 were all 1812-WW2. Leif Eriksson and Columbus was somewhere around there too. I don't remember anything about Grade 9 history but in 10 it was definitely Canadian history from 1900 to modern day. In 11 I took History of the world to 1500 which was Greece, Rome, Egypt, Mesopotamia and Medieval times.
I also took and American history course in 11, that was probably the best.

God I wish that were my education.
Honestly Church funded schools seem to be the best even if they add in their own propaganda.

UK, South Coast
Memory is a bit fuzzy from year 3 - 6 but it was mostly bog standard British history, from Roman Britain up until Tudors/Stuarts. Also did some shit about the blitz.

Year 7: Norman conquest of Britain and only the parts of Hundred Years War where we btfo'd France. Also some stuff about Henry II and Becket.
Year 8: Tudor stuff, Spanish Armada etc.
Year 9: WW1, Nazi Germany, Battle Of Britain + Blitz
Year 10/11: Nazi Germany in-depth and civil rights movement in America.
Year 12/13: Cold War and Stuart Britain

Also forgot, Year 10/11 we did Weimar Germany too.

>private school.
>learning about America and it's subjugation of the world under white supremacy.

Check your privilege rich boi.

Same here
Mexico, private school

Pretty complete history, had this pretty cool history teacher in 2nd grade (secondary) who taught world history and was pretty engaging.
Started with ancient civilizations, Babylonians, Egyptians, China, then the Greeks and Rome, Frankish kingdoms, medieval Europe was a bit glosses over and more focus on the renaissance and then the colonization of Mexico.
WW1 and 2, Cold War, the usual stuff, not much on the holocaust, basic facts mostly.

Most of what I got out of high school equivalent was late modern and contemporary, both pretty complete.
Had a teacher who was from Yugoslavia and her family left for Mexico when the troubles were starting, had a pretty interesting view of things.
Also had art history which ended up more useful than I would have thought.

When I was young I didn’t care much for Mexican history, sure, Aztecs were cool and I knew my way around the Independence, foreign interventions, the revolution and whatnot, but knights and castles were cooler and I played a lot of Age of Empires.
Then I had this pretty great class during high school on contemporary Mexico, after the revolution, and it sparked an interest and I started looking more into it. And that interest made me bitter that the state revisionism is dominant and what happened is anybody’s guess. Not fun 70 years of one party state pushing a certain narrative.

I agree. The average Mexican knows little about the 20th century, and most have been conditioned over the years. It's certainly sad.

I will say that education in Mexico was far more engaging compared to the US

Germany (Gymnasium)
5-8 grade we did stone age to medieval period. Special focus on the Greeks, Romans, Charlemagne, immigration period, medieval Europe and the crusades.

9th grade was WW2 and the holocaust.

10th was Russian Revolution, wwi, a bit of wwii and lots of China in the 20th century.

11-12th was an extensive look on the period of 1850-1975, focus on industrialization in America Britain and Germany, economy of the 20's, rise of Hitler, beginning of the cold war and Vietnam

Oh here we fucking go.

My 12th Grade history teacher didnt know the difference about the Holy Roman Empire and the Roman Empire. We were taught about the black death before the fall of Rome. She said that England and Spain were part of this Holy Roman empire. She said that the crusades was a campaign of the Holy Roman Empire. Also she said Joan of Arc was the only reason France won the 100 years war and that no one knew she was a woman.

and she showed us deadliest warrior on Joan of Arc vs William the Conqueror. To 'interest' the class and because everything about the renaissance was too inappropriate. I could have learned more from assassins creed.

Are you American?
Why does this pretty much only happen in America?
And why was the Renaissance “inappropriate?” Statues and paintings had boobs or what?

>everyone without blonde hair and blue eyes stand up
>HITLER WOULD HAVE KILLED YOU!

Canada

And no, it was mostly because of the shows like reign and the medicis all had sex in it. But she litteraly couldnt have shown us a documentary.

>Canada
America lite

Did she have to show something on the television? Was the class attention span that low?

Our teacher showed us the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven. And then spent the next class showing the parts that were wrong and those that were accurate. Was a pretty good way to learn about the Crusades and the period in general. Kids that had no interest in the whole thing paid attention, and the few that cared had fun looking for inaccuracies.

Texas, USA

I went to a shitty ghetto middle school so every class there was a joke. My 8th grade American history teacher tried really hard to make it seem like the Civil war was instigated by the north and the south dindu nuffin. Not saying the north was free of wrongdoings but he put it in really black and white terms which pissed me off.

I went to a pretty good magnet public high school though so my education there was pretty good. My AP European history class (which was taught by a black guy btw) was by far the best pre-college class I took.

Poland, but I'm only going to post shit that Veeky Forums finds revelant
>Middle school textbook
For some reason Moses dividing the sea and Muhammad's hijra are treated as actual history

Also we learned a bit about American Civil War, here's what people in charge of national education (I'm not even talking about teachers) wanted to teach us:
>The North and the South were at conflict because of slavery, but both wanted to end slavery
>Southerners wanted some years to diversify economy so ending slavery wouldn't be a fuck up, Northerners hated the South and wanted to end it immediately
>Yankees started the war by invading Dixieland
>Confederates were patriotic, experienced, skilled and moral, and despite being outnumbered, outgunned and badly equipped they still slapped the Union all the time
>Numbers were the only reason why Yankees won
>Confederate POWs were treated like shit
And so on and so forth with that dixie wankery

Also for some reason every teacher in my experience thinks apartheid in South Africa was racist against whites because they also got segregated

Ireland, Catholic public school

It's a bit hazy but

>cursory history of everything pre-18th century
>penal laws
>potato famine
>Land League, Charles Stewart Parnell, touch on the fenians on and off as it relates to future events
>WWI, mainly how it relates to Irish history
>1916 rising and everything related to it
>years leading up to civil war
>civil war
>free state
>minutiae of shit leading up to WWII, go relatively in-depth on October Revolution/Bolsheviks and things commies got up to leading to WWII, in-depth on purges, show trials and whatnot, and Nazi Germany, the Nuremberg rallies, Hitler's rise to power
>WWII, how it relates to Irish history as couldn't dive in to military history considering how deep that goes
>post-WWII Ireland, how the country developed, touched on briefly
>very in-depth on the Troubles in 6 counties, everything surrounding it (except for the interesting pre-18th century nitty gritty)

Bored the absolute hole off me, I just wanted to learn about things before we went on the trail of victimhood and some ancient Roman stuff, luckily I had an interest in history early on and read things independently of schooling

>Also for some reason every teacher in my experience thinks apartheid in South Africa was racist against whites because they also got segregated
Well, I wouldn’t like to have been a Boer back then, but it wasn’t as bad for them as it was for black people

Wtf, I love Poland now.

Didn’t they teach about early Irish monasteries and missionaries spreading across Europe?
That sounds like something big an Irish Catholic school would teach.

I recall lingering over meme history like the vikings with some interesting tid bits like the round towers the monks hid their bling in, but it was all encompassed under "Medieval" IIRC. Class' were brief so I suppose we had to cram as much modern history as possible.

Here's history at Australian (Queensland) public schools. Most of its taught by bias and clueless English teachers until you get to senior years and get an actual history teacher

Primary School history was mostly
>Aboriginals
>The Crusades
>Mediaeval life, focusing on see/lord dynamic

High School core history
>Aboriginals
>The surface of WW1
>Aboriginals
>The surface of WW2
>More aboriginals

High School history elective (we finally got an actual history teacher and not an English teacher)
>The agricultural revolution
>the industrial revolution
>the affects of technology on progress and living standards

High School senior ancient history
>Early man and basic evolution of man
>Early Chinese and Confucianism
>Ancient Greece (Most people were Spartaboos, this being around the time of the 300 release)

And I dropped it around then

What the other guy said. Public education in America is a joke. It's literally just reading an outdated textbook, memorizing context less facts, and writing a shit ton of notes.

That's no way to teach a class full of teenagers. There was no "lesson" during our "history lessons", it was just uninterested teachers drolling on towards uninterested students. It's why I've decided to become a history teacher, so that at least when I'm doing MY curriculum, it'll be more than just "read pages 34 to 52, and you'll be graded on however many notes you take."

Enjoy being broken by the system and turned into what you hate in less than a year.

We weren't taught about how the vast majority of Western communists were jews from Marx onwards and how they murdered tens of millions of innocent people in their host nations out of racial hatred. I started calling myself communist near the end of school and a good few years after university. Now I feel like a cunt and tool of the jews, and wasted a lot of intellectual energy mindlessly destroying Western civilisation. Yeah. I mad.

>Putin: Soviet Government Was Mostly Jewish 80-85%
youtube.com/watch?v=oIeYoF1VhHc

>Winston Churchill exposes Jewish forces behind Communism
youtube.com/watch?v=BNcERXGcpEY

>In his book, “Unnatural Deaths in the U.S.S.R.: 1928-1954,” I.G. Dyadkin estimated that the USSR suffered 56 to 62 million "unnatural deaths" during that period, with 34 to 49 million directly linked to Stalin.
>In “Europe A History,” British historian Norman Davies counted 50 million killed between 1924-53, excluding wartime casualties.
>Alexander Nikolaevich Yakovlev, a Soviet politician and historian, estimated 35 million deaths.
>In his acclaimed book “The Great Terror: Stalin’s Purge of the Thirties,” Anglo-American historian Robert Conquest said: “We get a figure of 20 million dead [under Stalin], which is almost certainly too low and might require an increase of 50 percent or so.”
ibtimes.com/how-many-people-did-joseph-stalin-kill-1111789

wtf, the program changed that much?

>Be me
>Dixieboo
What the fuck? First of all
>The war was only over slavery meme
No
>The South wanted to end slavery
Also no

The only thing right about that is that North started the war.
>Durr we are just going ignore warnings from the South and parts of our own higher branches of government that say reinforcing Ft Sumter will start the war
>Fuck Southerners , send Ft Sumter troops and ammo

Florida
6th grade: Geography, and as an elective Multicultural Studies. Geography was just a generic overview of Latin and European culture. Multicultural Studies was just dealing with the conquistadors on and on. I learned nothing other than the term for the produce you get out of gum trees is called something very similar to the spanish word for gum, which is "Chicle."

Kansas
7th grade: Geography again but this time dealing worldwide. I learned more in this class than in every history class put together in my life. For the first time in my life I got a sense of what the Abrahamic religions were about and how they correlated and differed. Learned about Buddhism. Learned how different Europe is from America.
8th grade: American History

Florida
9: History of America 1492 - ?
10: American History 1800 - 2006. But we didn't actually learn anything.

Kansas
11: N/A
12: US Government

I hate the American education system. It took me years to discover my passion for history because my country is too self-conceited to teach us.

History teacher here.

Year 11: Origins of WWII, black civil rights.
Year 12: 1st/2nd Indochina wars, Russian revolutions
Year 13: Cuban Missile Crisis, Waikato War

>canada
Wow, and I thought ameriburger had a shitty education system.

Dude, my middle school was so fucking ghetto, our textbooks were pirated pdf files of the textbook.

>racist against whites because they also got segregated
Hitler was wrong about you Poland

SAME

I never understood why we had to learn about the polish deluge and deeper insight on plato's allegory of the cave in 2nd grade social studies

How close the krauts and japs were to winning WW2 and how close we came to nuclear war.

Mexicunt here,
I didn't learn much about history up until 5th grade or something. It was mostly WE WUZ KANGS-style shit about Aztecs and tha goddamn Spaniards who conker'd us, as well as shit about good governments vs evil governments we'd had.
It wasn't until I actually started reading history books that I actually got to learn about history. I started off with the Greeks (Herodotus, Thucydides, Plutarch), continued with the Romans (Livy, Suetonius, Polybius), bridged the gap between Roman and Medieval history with Gibbon, as well as some other stuff I read. I picked it back up with some books about English history (I remember having read the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, Churchill's History of the English-Speaking Peoples, as well as a few other books I read). I remember having read at least one book about the French Revolution, several books about Russian history, Soviet history, American history, and some other stuff. After that, I stopped learning about history at school. I never learnt anything about Sub-Saharan Africa or East Asia. I spent 7th through 9th grade in America (in Texas, specifically), where we learnt all about Texas History (7th grade), US History up until the Reconstruction (8th grade, which was mostly about the colonies, the Revolution, and the Civil War), and World History (9th grade, which was mostly just a mish mash of everything, with no particular focus on anything except for general European and American accomplishments). Between 9th and 10th grade, I spent a year as a NEET.
I didn't have a history class in 10th grade. In 11th grade, we spent a semester studying World History. I remember I had a lot of fun making presentations and research papers about the the Napoleonic Wars (depicting Napoleon as the harbringer of liberty throughout Europe), WWI, and WWI, and WWI.
We spent the second semester of 11th grade studying 20th century Mexican history. It was all about neo-liberals vs socialists, as well as corruption in Mexican society.

Are Anglos physically incapable of teaching History in a way that makes a modicum of sense? Why the fuck are you jumping around eras, the kids must be completely lost.

School history in the UK is so bland too. You also never hear the end about the holocaust.

ooga booga we wuz kangz nigguh

Argentina

Primary School
1st Grade was the Argentine Colonial Period
2nd Grade were the Argentine Independence Wars
3rd Grade were Ancient Civilizations, Egypt, Babylon, Greece, Sparta, Persia
4th Grade was the Middle Ages in Europe and the Precolumbian Civilizations (Aztecs, Mayans, Incans)
5th Grade was the Rennaissance, the Enlightement and the French Revolution (including US independence)
6th Grade was colonialism in Asia and Africa, WW1 and WW2

High School
7th Grade was Argentine 19th century history, the Civil Wars
8th Grade was Argentine 20th century history
9th Grade was the Cold War
1st Polimodal was the Enlightment in depth, JS Mill, Rousseau, John Locke etc.
2nd Polimodal was WW1 and WW2 in depth
3rd Polimodal was 20th century Argentine history in depth until the modern era

I also had English-language history for the Cambride IGSCE exams (bilingual highschool), here we focused on WW1, Versailles, the Great Depression, the Russian Revolution, Hitler's rise and WW2 and the Cold War

I remeber more of the English-language classes than the Spanish ones which is a bit sad tbqh.

Also Rome in 3rd grade

Also Asia was completely glossed over until 19th century colonialism and WW2 which is pathetic. All I know about Asia I learned on my own.

Before I go through all the grades, I wanted to mention this.

>go to uni with strong liberal arts and humanities program
>in a class on late Roman history
>professor mentions Elagabalus
>"according to the sources, and take it with a grain of salt, he was some weirdo sexual deviant"
>there's a tranny in the class
>oh boy
>someone asks what Elagabalus did
>professor spends the next 5 minutes going off on different tangents so he doesn't have to directly answer the question in front of the trans person

>go to uni with supposedly the best History department in my country, one of the best in Europe and among the best in the world
>even in the third year of a bachelor a good half of the students couldn't give less of a fuck

I've been told it gets better once you get to masters. I guess I'll see.

Pennsylvania, US
4th grade: Pennsylvania history
5th grade: Honestly I don't remember a specific year long topic, I did a book report on Captain Cook but that might have been for English

6th: Grade,Ancient Civilizations (Mesopotamia, Indus River Valley, Egypt, China, Greece, Rome). For some reason we had a field trip to a Morrocan restaurant for the Mesopotamia unit.
7th: Grade: US history up to the Civil War.
8th Grade: US history from Civil war through 20th Century. We had a unit that tied into English class where we were supposed to read The Wizard of Oz as an allegory for Bimetallism but it wasn't taught very coherently.

9th Grade: Africa and Asia (Units on China, India, MENA, Sub-Saharan Africa). Tied in with English class, e.g. we read Things Fall Apart during the unit on Sub-Saharan Africa.
10th Grade: "Western Civilization" basically post-Roman Europe.
11th Grade: AP US history, the same stuff as 7th/8th grade but more in depth
12th Grade: AP US government, basically a civics class

We never learned Latin American history outside of it's interaction with the US in History class, but we did learn a bit in Spanish class.

Why do Slavs love the confederacy so much?

>got really into history around age 12
>take all history classes i can in high school
>get great grades
>teachers encourage me to take Honors U.S. history my junior year
>once im finally in that class it's full of rich popular white kids(i'm Mexican)
>teacher is also lacrosse coach
>teacher just became tenured
>personally knows several students and their siblings
>starts off everyday with a story about himself or students siblings
>tells us about the time he bought a new house
>tells us about the time his dog died
>tells us about the time he was a camp councillor
>does this shit everyday
>actually lose interest in history class because of him
If i ever see him again i'm going to slap him in the face.

HE SHOULD NOT BE A FUCKING TEACHER!

sorry btw i just had to vent.

in 4th grade i has a world history class
5-8th grades I has "social studies" instead of history.
my freshman year i had a world history class
my sophomore year i had a U.S. and Illinois constitution class
my sophomore year i had something called "war and conflict" class were we just read from a packet, watched a documentary and had a test on a U.S. war.
my junior year i had a "20th century wars" class but my teacher instead made the entire semester about WW1.
then my junior year i had I learned WAY more outside of class than in it.

I like it when teachers tell off topic stories as long as they're interesting.
>The choir director was a Vietnam vet and spent an entire class telling war stories instead of rehersing

this
>art class teacher and i were laughing our heads off when he was telling a story about how this musician who was the brother of a fucking notorious gangster was making fun of him

>My 12th Grade history teacher didnt know the difference about the Holy Roman Empire and the Roman Empire

Well, seems like their plain worked after all didn't it?

Is it even worth getting a history degree these days, what would you even do with it? It seems like most people just get to year 12, take a history course and then never pick it back up.

>he could blame the sources saying it's a bad portray and say they're all convert on this and have no conflicting views on them
>he didn't

Jesus Christ, how inept can one be.

yeah but none of his stories were related to history at all. he just told stupid stories about his life and people just let him talk because they wanted to let him waste as much time as possible.

Canada:

-How Indians are victims
-How Indians are victims
-How Indians are victims
-How white people are bad
-How Indians are victims
-How Indians are victims
-victim victim
-How Indians are victims
-How Indians are victims
-How Indians are victims

Pub School Commiefornia

1-3: Just whatever holiday is coming up, with the usual BS lore (cherry tree, first thanksgiving). Beyond that, few art projects (build pyramids, cook various historical foods).

4-6: Now we destroy all those kewt tales you grew up on, cuz fuck Santa Claus! Pilgrims killed the injuns, there was no cherry tree, etc. More detailed early American history. Some early civilization, mesoa & mesop. Aside from the American Revolution, avoidance of war.

7-8: WAAAAR! 1812, brief coverage of civil war and WWI, in depth WWII (inc. Anne Frank). Had lovely little vietmanese immigrant gal (actually 30, looked 12), tell us of her childhood during the war. (Yes, I'm that old.) They blamed WWII on injustices arising from Versailles and the Jewish bankers that were employed to rape Germany. Nukes on Japan also explained away as a sad necessity (since decided it was a different necessity).

9-10: MesoA & Mesop civs, Egypt, Greeks, Romans, China, Mongols, Med/Ren Europe, Czars, more in depth WWII, brief civil rights movement, Kennedy, effects of the Monroe Doc. Had a kewl teacher in here of the "Economic Hitman" bent. Accurately predicted the Panama Invasion four years in advance in a "mark my words" rant, also kinda predicted The War on Terror (this was '85).

11-12: Amer History with heavy focus on Thom&Benji, Fed Papers, and Articles of the Confederation, various landmark SCOTUS cases, and the civ war, with a surprisingly sympathetic view of the south - long focus on Carpet Baggers, etc. Literary history as well (Twain, Gatsby, and everyone around the Algonquin table).

Uni (most in Boston) - Greeks, Greeks, Romans, Romans+Byzan, brief Chinese/Jap, more Med/Ren Europe, early Russia. Brief bit with the Mongols that left me in conflict with one teacher who claimed they "contributed nothing to history".

No major complaints really. Back in Commiefornia now, and my friend's kid's education doesn't seem all that different, if less in depth, and a bit more prone to personal interest stories. Commiefornia doesn't always live up to its name, though it does seem some of the universities do have an SJW infestation problem, and I'm sure the education in the poorer school districts is a lot worse than those my buddies send their kids to, as they range from fairly well-to-do to filthy rich.

>be me in 6th grade
>substitute teacher for us history, a younger guy, probably fresh out of college
>sweet, get to watch a movie or some other easy sub shit
>turns on documentary about JFK obviously bootlegged from the history channel
>substitute is really into it though, pauses every so often to share his theories about JFK
>we get to the zapruder film
>sub pauses it as the president's head is exploding
>"back and to the left!"
>rewinds to play again
>and again
>and again
>girls in the back start crying
>"look at jackie's face!"
>sub finds the slow-mo button
>rewinds a couple more times
>gay tweaker kid in front of me throws up
>teacher finally realizes hes making middle schoolers watch gore
>new sub the next day

I was not taught the U.S. civil war was NOT about slavery.

Uk

Our history teacher told us about a french recipe once

You had to take a turkey and tie a rope around its neck, then leave it outside in the elements until the turkey rotted so much it fell on the floor

Then you'd have to stick it in a giant crock pot, add in a bunch of spices(including a whole nutmeg)

He said he did it for extra credit or something similar, tasted absolutely disgusting

how do you fags remember everything that you did as children? Unless you are underage and are fucking children. CAUGHT THE FUCK OUT. PACK UP UNDERAGED FAGS.

I dont really see the difference between the HRE and the Roman empire either.

Northwest bong here, we did a module on The Troubles (Catholic school ofc)
>Learn about gerrymandering
>got shown some bbc 2 doc that had arma 2 footage in it
>ask our Catholic teachers about The Troubles
>One said she got the shit beat out of her for walking on the wrong side of the street

We had so much Irish staff with their own stories that made the class pretty engaging

NSW variation, though I went to a pretty good catholic high school

Primary school
>Aboriginals
>First Fleet
>Gallipoli surface
>Gold Fields / Eureka Stockade
>Shackleton and Antarctica

High school early
>Aboriginals
>Extensive Medieval period
>Aztecs
>Greece, Peloponnesian war, Persian conquest
>In depth WW2

"Modern" History elective year 10+

>Napoleonic era
>Industrial revolution
>WW1 in depth
>Napoleonic wars
>French and Russian Revolutions
>Mao

Year 12
>Holy Roman Empire
>Crusades
>Foundation of the USA
>Colonization of Africa
>Cuba

but HRE was the real rome, or it's legitimate succesor atleast

When apathetic English teachers teach history

Latvia
>6th grade
>brief overview about Prehistory, Ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome
>7th grade
>Middle ages, Northern Crusades and Livonia
>8th grade
>Reformation, Renessaince, Latvia under Commonwealth, Swedish, Russian rule, French Revolution and Napoleon
>9th grade
>WW1 (mostly about battles of Latvian Riflemen), Latvia during interwar period, Ulmanis authoritarian regime, WW2 (USSR occupation in 1940, German occupation, Latvian Legion), Latvia under USSR in Cold War, collapse of USSR and regaining of our independence
>10th, 11th, 12th grades were basically the repeat of the previous years, except with more in-depth analysis and more essays
I used to hate Latvian history before 20th century because absolutely nothing happened, but always find World history interesting as fuck

Braliuk, Lithuanian history was something similiar:
>5th grade
>Lithuanian history up and down
>6th grade
>Short summaries of prehistory, Egypt, Greece, Rome, a bit of China and India etc. and Lithania
>7th-8th grade
>Bigger focus on world history, but still mainly Lithuania
>9th-10th grade
>World history, this time less Lithuanian stuff, recap of Greece, Rome, Eastern Europe, Russia, Britain, USA, world wars, cold war etc.
>11th-12th grade
>Recaps of previous years, more analysis on sources, tests and preparations for exams, extra analysis on Lithuania in cold war years and interwar periods
Lithuanian history almost killed me out of boredom, and kind of dissapointed how little was focused on U.S.A, 19th century and World Wars.

Poland, finished high school about 9-10 years ago, so I can better talk about what books contained, rather than what was done (as a class that was focused in biology and chemistry, history wasn't among our priorities).
I need to add that the books were probably made when there were still 4 classes of high school, before adding middle high, so unless the class was focused on history and humanities, it was unlikely to finish all the material, as for each year there are basically 2 books of materials. (I can be wrong about details of content because we never finished all materials)
Book 1, Year 1 - Antiquity: Mesopotamia, Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece (comparison between Athens and Sparta), Ancient Rome (from early Republic and Punic Wars till about formation of the Empire)
Book 2, Year 1 - Middle Ages - Piast Poland, comparison between vassal/liege connections in France to ones in Britain, Crusades (I remember Children Crusade being mentioned, but not much about ERE's involvement in starting Crusades), I think Jagiellon and Hapsburg dynasties were included too in there, but definitely it covered wars against Teutonic Order.

Book 3, Year 2 - From Renaissance to Napoleon, PLC and its wars, Partitions of Poland, way too much on rulers of France, especially those that holds barely any relevance to us, all the rebellions in partitioned Poland, comparison of life in Prussian, Russian, and Austrian parts. Ends with covering Napoleonic Wars.
Book 4, Year 2 - From Congress of Vienna till WW1, results of Congress of Vienna at the beginning, ends with covering World War 1 (don't remember much from that book, and I likely no longer have it)

>To be continued...

Book 5 (and final), Year 3 - Stormy 20th Century (I have this one at hand, but we never managed to reach that material, as in Year 3 we barely reached WW1 as a class that is not focused on History and Humanities), majority of this book, including Sanacja government in Poland, Fascist Italy, Hitler's Germany (but not Stalin's USSR for some reason, which is for all classes), reasons for start of WW2, majority of how WW2 went, discounting occupation of Poland by Nazi Germany and USSR and Warsaw Uprising.
Book contains also material about Communist Poland, Cold War, Stalinism in Poland, from Khrushchev to Brezhnev, Poland under Gomółka and Gierek, Solidarność - all material for dedicated Veeky Forums classes, same with end of Cold War.
For regular classes there was only material about Martial Law in Poland and 3rd Republic.

kek

at least you could WE WUZ more
we were just bunch of serfs and peasants under German rule

Here, it's one of the few respected humanity and considered a decent base for further, more "useful" studies. Looks alright on a CV. Personally, I went for a regular History bachelor, passed an exam to get in what we call "Grandes écoles" (more prestigious, selective schools outside of the normal uni framework), then went on to pass an exam to get in civil service. My goal was diplomacy, I failed. Got a job working as a glorified secretary for a minor politician through luck and a bit of nepotism, while preparing to try the exam again.

Some of my friends who went for a regular History degrees got jobs working in museums, one became a journalist, one became an archivist for the army, a few are now studying to become teachers, a few others completely gave up and now work regular office jobs. One said fuck it and is now becoming a cop. Oh, and one went teaching French and English in China, and apparently it's working out pretty well for him.