Subsaharan African "Civilizations"

I have to write a paper about historical Indigenous Subsaharan African civilizations. The trouble is I haven't been able to find a single one. How could a continent so vast with so many resources have not progressed past the stone age in hundreds of thousands of years?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garamantes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mali_Empire
ancient.eu/Ghana/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benin_Empire
britannica.com/place/Songhai-empire
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Nri
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nok_culture
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanem_Empire
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bornu_Empire
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashanti_Empire
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER
Is that what you wanted OP?

That's pretty immature user.. You want to actually try to answer my question like a rational individual?

This is either weak b8, or you should just ask your SPED teacher for help using the search engine. Either way, sage.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garamantes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mali_Empire
ancient.eu/Ghana/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benin_Empire
britannica.com/place/Songhai-empire
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Nri
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nok_culture
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanem_Empire
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bornu_Empire
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashanti_Empire

Having to write a paper about sub Saharan African civilizations every fucking day, you're really unlucky user.

So what we're some of the innovations, inventions, and literary works that made these civilizations notable among their contemporaries around the world?

It's an inner city public school, so..

It's your """"paper,"""" user. You can start by reading those wikipedia pages, then do some more follow-up research on your own.

>innovations
Literally everything about the popular western culture.

The trouble is all the wikipedia pages show me is pictures of mud huts and crude clay buildings with shards of pottery that they claim are the most notable civilizations the region produced. I assume they're incomplete articles but I'm looking for achievments like the sail, mathematics, philosophy, metallurgy, science, written works, domestication of large beasts of burden, and other things that make a civilization more than a gathering of tribes that stretched their mouths with bones a certain way or spoke a similar guttural babble language.

So, drug paraphernalia and half-naked women shaking their fat posteriors on TV? This going to be much of a paper, user..

>Shifting the goalposts
Don't think I didn't notice. Also note that almost all of what I'll write here (and indeed what I wrote above) concerns West Africa in the 11th-16th centuries because that's what I know about.

Arts:
Tends to favor three dimensional mediums - pottery, ceramics, tapestries, metalworks, mosaics, and carvings in stone, wood, or ivory are the norm. Art from that period tends toward symbolic or abstracted depictions rather than straight images, but examples of both of course do exist. Performance art and music are also important but I admit less knowledge of those. Pic related is a bronze bust produced in the city of Ife in modern day Nigeria by the lost wax casting method, and are among the finest examples of that medium in the world. Other notable metalworks are the Akan goldweights and Chiwara from Mali. See Akwete, Nsibidi, Adire, Bogolan, and Kente styles for textiles. Notable also are ivory works. For examples you can look at the Afro-Portuguese ivories and saltcellars cataloged by the Met, which were commissioned by Portuguese traders and produced by native artisans. For famous examples of sculpture in other mediums you can look at the Shona sculptures or Edo terracottas (note there the stylistic similarities to the Ife bronzes.) You should realize that none of these things appeared out of the aether. Artists need patronage to reach very high levels of skill in a craft, and they build on techniques taught to them by their predecessors. Realize also that there have to be suppliers of materials (bronze, ivory, coral, stone, ebony wood, whatever) and the specialized tools needed to work those materials behind them.

More soon if there's interest, even though I'm still pretty sure this thread was just bait.

Mali and Benin were kinda cool, caveman-tier but cool.

lmao thank god im not an amerinigger that has to write reports on kangfrica everyday
just like that canuck who makes /r9k/threads on /int/ everyday

Write about the Zulu.

While Napoleon was conquering Europe with the most advanced firearms and tactics the world had ever seen, Shaka invented the sword (ikwla) for the first time in Africa and came up with eschelon tactics and proceeded to carve out an empire in South Africa.

>I'm looking for achievments like the sail, mathematics, philosophy, metallurgy, science, written works, domestication of large beasts of burden, and other things that make a civilization more than a gathering of tribes that stretched their mouths with bones a certain way or spoke a similar guttural babble language.
lol you're definitely from /pol/
GTFO

No matter how many times you ask this question, "niggers iz dumb lol" will never be the answer.

>This is either weak b8
It is.This fucker has been making the thread every day for months now.

I thought you had to write a paper, go research it you lazy faggot

>hurr durr do my homework for me

Stop being such a lazy nigger

Hang this post in a gallery. Pure art.

>newfag took the bait

>You're not an afrocentrist trying to invent history to give a primitive group a history participation trophy
>YOU MUST BE /POL/!

t. /pol/

I thought it was interesting, but you'd be wasting your time tbqh.