ITT: Veeky Forums compiles a list of 31 spooky historical events to read about this October

ITT: Veeky Forums compiles a list of 31 spooky historical events to read about this October

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._H._Holmes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Béla_Kiss
biography.com/people/jack-the-ripper-9351486
biography.com/people/groups/manson-family
britannica.com/biography/Gilles-de-Rais
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Báthory
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_the_Impaler
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinterkaifeck_murders
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_disappeared_mysteriously
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Hickock
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Edward_Smith
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Cold_Blood
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleister_Crowley
youtube.com/watch?v=xBr8a8mWAJc
history.com/topics/salem-witch-trials
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Celeste
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Béla_Kiss
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1593_transported_soldier_legend
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaths_of_Kris_Kremers_and_Lisanne_Froon
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_clan_incest_case
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawley_Harvey_Crippen
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedlec_Ossuary
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Tanzler
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vile_vortex
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I know I'm a bit late, but let's make a list of thirty one spooky historical events that one can easily read about in a day. Then, they can read about one of these events per day in October.

I'll start:

1. H. H. Holmes

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._H._Holmes

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Béla_Kiss

>Jack the Ripper

biography.com/people/jack-the-ripper-9351486

>Manson Family

biography.com/people/groups/manson-family

>Gilles de Rais

britannica.com/biography/Gilles-de-Rais

>managed to escape

fuck

>Elizabeth Bathory

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Báthory

>Vlad the Impaler

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_the_Impaler

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinterkaifeck_murders
G*rman autism in action

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_disappeared_mysteriously
a lot of the shit in this list is fucking scary, either existentially or just outright

>Josef
>possibly the incestous son of his father fucking his own daughter.
Something something little Fritzl

>The Holcomb Kansas murders

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Hickock
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Edward_Smith
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Cold_Blood

The paragraphs describing how the murder unfolded in In Cold Blood are some of the most chilling stuff I've ever read before.

Murders are always fun to read about, but let's spice up the list with some occult stuff.

>aleister crowley
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleister_Crowley

>rasputin
youtube.com/watch?v=xBr8a8mWAJc

>salem witch trials
history.com/topics/salem-witch-trials

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident
>The Dyatlov Pass incident (Russian: Гибeль тypгpyппы Дятлoвa) refers to the mysterious, unsolved deaths of nine ski hikers in the northern Ural Mountains on February 2, 1959. The area in which the incident took place was named Dyatlov Pass in honor of the group's leader, Igor Dyatlov.

>The experienced trekking group, who were all from the Ural Polytechnical Institute, had established a camp on the slopes of Kholat Syakhl when disaster struck. During the night, something caused them to tear their way out of their tents and to flee the campsite while inadequately dressed during a heavy snowfall and sub-zero temperature.

>Soviet Union investigators determined that six victims died from hypothermia and that the three others showed signs of physical trauma. One victim had a fractured skull; another had brain damage but no sign of an injured skull. Additionally, the tongue and eyes of a team member were missing. The investigation concluded that an "unknown compelling force" had caused the deaths.

>Smith, in contrast, attempted to speak beyond the room when he addressed the media representatives and declared "capital punishment is legally and morally wrong."
this fucking guy

The Mary Celeste
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Celeste

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Béla_Kiss

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1593_transported_soldier_legend

Anyone looking for a good, in-depth telling of this story should read The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson.

More modern

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaths_of_Kris_Kremers_and_Lisanne_Froon

I read both devil in the white city and in cold blood and liked them, anything similar you guys recommend?

nice read, but 25 years rule

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_clan_incest_case
More gross than creepy but still

Thunderstruck is another one by Larson that involves true crime. It was good but I didn't find it quite as interesting as Devil in the White City. I recommend anything by him but I'm honestly not well read enough in true crime to make any other suggestions.

thanks, sounds like a cool story

add this to the list

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawley_Harvey_Crippen

I actually wrote a paper for an English course recently about how capote altered facts to use Perry as a living argument against capital punishment.

>Around 10:30 p.m. MST, the supervisor for the contractor running the site (Combustion Engineering) and the chief health physicist arrived. They entered the reactor building around 10:45 pm and found two mutilated men soaked with water: one clearly dead (Byrnes), the other moving slightly (McKinley) and moaning. With one entry per person and a 1-minute limit, a team of 5 men with stretchers recovered the operator who was still breathing around 10:50; he did not regain consciousness and died of his head injury at about 11 p.m. Even stripped, his body was so contaminated that it was emitting about 500 R/hr. Meanwhile, the third man was discovered about 10:38 p.m., impaled to the ceiling. With all potential survivors now recovered, safety of rescuers took precedence and work was slowed to protect them.
>The third man was discovered last because he was pinned to the ceiling above the reactor by a shield plug and not easily recognizable.[6] On the night of January 4, a team of six volunteers used a plan involving teams of two to recover the body of Byrnes. On January 9, in relays of two at a time, a team of ten men, allowed no more than 65 seconds exposure each, used sharp hooks on the end of long poles to pull Legg's body free of the shield plug, dropping it onto a 5-by-20-foot (1.5 by 6.1 m) stretcher attached to a crane.[6]
>The bodies of all three were buried in lead-lined caskets sealed with concrete and placed in metal vaults with a concrete cover. Some highly radioactive body parts were buried in the Idaho desert as radioactive waste.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedlec_Ossuary
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Tanzler
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vile_vortex

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vile_vortex
fucking neat